MS Receiver Brandon Smith Working Hard to Instantly Impact Hawkeyes

RobHowe

Administrator
The Hawkeyes need help at WR and it could come from a quartet of incoming freshmen. In the 1st installment of a 4-part series on the group, we HN hears from Mississippi's Brandon Smith:

LINK

Even before Vandeberg got reinjured and J Smith sat out spring ball B Smith was my fav WR coming in. Now there’s almost going to be some pressure on him to preform right out of the gate. There seems to be some growing hype for him. So put that along with everything else going on and he’ll have every chance to show what he can do early on. When I was watching his high jumping all I could think was DON’T GET HURT!!

Even before Vandeberg got reinjured and J Smith sat out spring ball B Smith was my fav WR coming in. Now there’s almost going to be some pressure on him to preform right out of the gate. There seems to be some growing hype for him. So put that along with everything else going on and he’ll have every chance to show what he can do early on. When I was watching his high jumping all I could think was DON’T GET HURT!!
I am also excited about him. This is a great recruiting story. Brandon is working hard to have a chance to make an impact right away. Great attitude and work ethic.

I think he could use a redshirt year to learn the new system with the new offensive staff and get used to how we do things at Iowa.

I think he could use a redshirt year to learn the new system with the new offensive staff and get used to how we do things at Iowa.
I don't disagree but he doesn't know the old system. Sounds like Iowa coaches are already teaching him.

Most receivers sure could if the depth chart would allow it. I don't think he'll get that luxury though. I wish the coaches wouldn't try and make it mandatory that they know every word of the playbook inside out before having the confidence in playing them more. Throw them the most basic of concepts and let them go be athletes at first. They can grow on the job. Throw more of the playbook at them as they can grasp it. I was saying the same things about Willies. I want to see the best athletes on the field. What good does running the right route do you if you can't get open or catch it?

The Hawkeyes need help at WR and it could come from a quartet of incoming freshmen. In the 1st installment of a 4-part series on the group, we HN hears from Mississippi's Brandon Smith:

LINK

Rob, is it pretty much a given anymore that incoming players will show up for summer training? If not, do you have an idea of who will be on campus this summer, and who won't?

Smith possesses tools at WR that we haven't seen in it feels like forever. He is an all around stud. My hunch is that God himself couldn't keep Smith off the field as a Freshman.

He only had mid-major offers so according to a lot of posters here he is already a bust. :rolleyes:

Smith possesses tools at WR that we haven't seen in it feels like forever. He is an all around stud. My hunch is that God himself couldn't keep Smith off the field as a Freshman.

I believe that God could keep him off the field but that's a whole other topic.

I think he could be good but hoping a freshman is going to come in and be really great are pretty unrealistic.

Rob, is it pretty much a given anymore that incoming players will show up for summer training? If not, do you have an idea of who will be on campus this summer, and who won't?

They all get here in the summer. June 11 is the report date this year unless they have a conflict with another high school sport or a later graduation.

Certainly a Kirk fit with his attitude and work ethic. Hopefully the talent will show itself over time as well. Read that his vertical leap would have placed him 4th among WR's in this year's NFL March combine. That ability coupled with big hands can't hurt........but yes, must temper expectations as a freshman.

I believe that God could keep him off the field but that's a whole other topic.

I think he could be good but hoping a freshman is going to come in and be really great are pretty unrealistic.

Lol pardon my use of the figure of speech.

Everyone needs to pump the brakes. Every off season we have the 2nd coming of Jerry Rice. It's not that we don't get talent at wr it's just kirk doesn't want to use it

There are other voices in those rooms with Kirk. I doubt that Copeland will be keen on sand bagging the best WR's available. I sincerely hope that the new Offensive staff is able to blend the trend of using young and inexperienced talent into the moral fabric of the Iowa program. We know Vandeberg will start if healthy, but beyond that at least 1 other starting WR role must be filled by someone with little to no experience. I still feel that with Smith's frame and build that blocking a DB will be a relatively easy task. That is why I am taking the odds on an MVB, Smith starting lineup.

There are other voices in those rooms with Kirk. I doubt that Copeland will be keen on sand bagging the best WR's available. I sincerely hope that the new Offensive staff is able to blend the trend of using young and inexperienced talent into the moral fabric of the Iowa program. We know Vandeberg will start if healthy, but beyond that at least 1 other starting WR role must be filled by someone with little to no experience. I still feel that with Smith's frame and build that blocking a DB will be a relatively easy task. That is why I am taking the odds on an MVB, Smith starting lineup.
Good point. Copeland is brand new and if anyone thinks a young guy like him trying to climb the coaching ladder wouldn't want the best players out there would be crazy. Not to mention BF. Nobody wants the offense to move the ball and score more than him either.
I think we'll see a lot of Vandeberg (lord willing) Nash and Easley early on. Smith I think will be next man in and play a ton. Depending on how well he does and things go the more he'll be in there.
Nash is a bigger 6'2 210 lb guy too so blocking should be a strength of his also.

I think the 2nd recievers spot will be done by committee

I think the 2nd recievers spot will be done by committee

I like the lineup of MVB, Smith and Easley at the slot. Brian should be familiar with how Brady dominates with undersized recievers using them as quick reads if being blitzed. That is the role I envision for Easley. I don't think it would be in his best intrest to play wide. The outside game requires speed & size. We already know that he is lacking in one of those. He projects to be more dangerous in the flats or in the middle on underneath routes.

I am praying that Brian understands from his time at New England that it's not about the pieces necessarily, but more about how you use the pieces to a strength. That is Belichick's true genius. The use of his players strengths.

Latest posts