Mr. Davis Davis Discusses Roy Marble, Luka Garza

Pretty cool article. Well done by Rick. There's no doubt Roy woulda been Lukas biggest fan. He was a Hawk through and through. Woulda been pretty amazing to have had him (not to mention fans) be there for when it happens.

What's Devyn Marble up to these days? I kinda lost track of where he's playing is it overseas now? He had been in G league I think off and on maybe but that's been awhile ago I'd seen that.

True story that Marble's dad may have talked him out of transferring when Raveling left.

Pops asked him who he would like to play for. Roy brought up Kevin Mackey, who was coming off his finest hour by leading Cleveland State to the sweet sixteen. Mackey's Run N Stun was the hippest thing in college hoops in the spring of 1986. They attacked the full 94 feet, swarmed to the offensive glass and everyone on the floor could create off the dribble

Senior politely reminded Roy that Tom Davis was the coach who Mackey learned that system from Mackey was an assistant at Boston College (where Bruce Pearl was a grad assistant)

Roy Marble stayed at Iowa and the rest was history.

Last edited:
Great memories from those teams and Roy in the late eighties. Thank you for this great article.

Pretty cool article. Well done by Rick. There's no doubt Roy woulda been Lukas biggest fan. He was a Hawk through and through. Woulda been pretty amazing to have had him (not to mention fans) be there for when it happens.

What's Devyn Marble up to these days? I kinda lost track of where he's playing is it overseas now? He had been in G league I think off and on maybe but that's been awhile ago I'd seen that.

True story that Marble's dad may have talked him out of transferring when Raveling left.

Pops asked him who he would like to play for. Roy brought up Kevin Mackey, who was coming off his finest hour by leading Cleveland State to the sweet sixteen. Mackey's Run N Stun was the hippest thing in college hoops in the spring of 1986. They attacked the full 94 feet, swarmed to the offensive glass and everyone on the floor could create off the dribble

Senior politely reminded Roy that Tom Davis was the coach who Mackey learned that system from Mackey was an assistant at Boston College (where Bruce Pearl was a grad assistant)

Roy Marble stayed at Iowa and the rest was history.

Without using the google machine didn't we find out shortly after that Mackey had a serious coke problem?

Without using the google machine didn't we find out shortly after that Mackey had a serious coke problem?
He wasn't as much a cocaine user as much as he was framed and blackmailed by a drug dealing mistress. Either way it was a bad deal.

He was fired in 1990 and I found it interesting that Mr. Davis never gave him an opportunity to resurrect his career as an Iowa assistant, or recommend him for a low major position.

Latest posts