Movin' on. How do we beat Sparty?

• Thread starter Ian Pike Hammer
  • Start date
I

Ian Pike Hammer

I saw enough vs Wisky to get on the wagon. I don't blv our defense was "that bad." It was certainly much improved over last year. Our most serious problem vs the Badger's [a top 25 team!!] was that we missed a ton of shots. A couple of more makes by us, and less luck on 3's by them and we win. We gotta put the ball in the hoop. What's it gonna take to get a win on the road and make up for that home loss?

Stanzi’s right, of course, a thugging is coming.

So Iowa will have to play the same kind of defense game which has been above average but will have to shoot around 50%FG and 40%3FG because they’re not going to get to the FT line.

Everyone knew that when BIG10 play started that Iowa would not be going to the line like in OOC games — so shoot better and take care of the ball.

Iowa's going to have to be tougher than MSU, and we haven't seen any sign that they can be.

Don't have a clue but watching Michigan destroy Purdont. Glad we only play them once. They just keep subbing in athletes.

Not sure that’s fair. This team is much tougher than last year. More RK and CM. Sit Moss. Shoot well.

We have had, in recent years, better success beating Sparty than most other B1G teams, and we did that with lesser talent! Tho I must admit, winning in East Lansing is a task. As another poster pointed out in a diff thread, it may be advantageous to catch them early in the schedule.

You never know, if they have a bad shooting day like we had yesterday and we play well, I can see us beating them. If pushed, I'd say we have a 35-40% chance.

This MSU team is not even close to as talented as they have been. Play stong defense and control their PG. Iowa will get hosed by the refs, if Garza can frustrate Ward, it will be a great game. The game will hinge on Iowa turning it over 11 times or less. Make the extra pass for the best shot this game and life will be grand.

Not happnin. Maybe next month, in Carver, but even that is unlikely.

Hoping they get over the lumps of an 0-2 start in B14 and get back on track vs ISU. Do that, + 4 more confidence wins, maybe steal one at Purdue and the wheels are back on.

I saw enough vs Wisky to get on the wagon. I don't blv our defense was "that bad." It was certainly much improved over last year. Our most serious problem vs the Badger's [a top 25 team!!] was that we missed a ton of shots. A couple of more makes by us, and less luck on 3's by them and we win. We gotta put the ball in the hoop. What's it gonna take to get a win on the road and make up for that home loss?
Better players.

Im doubling down. We have a chance. This is not your uncle's Spartans. They play stretches of undisciplined basketball, have come unglued in crunch time, and can look lethargic against zones.

We need to shoot like we did in '16 when we went up 47-25 in their barn. And we have to get fair officiating. Plus it's early. Izzo's teams are designed to peak in March, not December. If I'm wrong I can handle the heat. Remember, I'm not guaranteeing victory, just giving us a better chance than usual up there.

The Wolverines on the other hand.....

I think this is going to be a contentious, chippy game. I believe the Iowa players felt they got pushed around last year. Cook has a different attitude...and Kreiner is no shrinking violet. I think you have to play Connor Mac a ton in this game. We must give as much as we receive. If Bohannon is hot...play him...if he's not...sit him. It's time for us to battle and hit shots at the same time. We battled Wisconsin, but shot it terrible. Put it together and these games are winnable.

This MSU team is not even close to as talented as they have been. Play stong defense and control their PG. Iowa will get hosed by the refs, if Garza can frustrate Ward, it will be a great game. The game will hinge on Iowa turning it over 11 times or less. Make the extra pass for the best shot this game and life will be grand.
Control their PG? How?

Izzo's thug ball will go unchecked on their court. We just aren't going to win up there. Hopefully we can keep it close, but I guarantee you the refs won't let that happen.

If MSU wins, it will be at the guard position, not the refs.

Keys to beating Michigan State.

1. Cook and Garza stay out of foul trouble. MSU as usual hits the glass hard, this is actually one of the few games we can’t afford to play small. They are a forward heavy team.

2. Win the 3pt contest. This is a key in nearly every game but especially on the road against a good team.

3. Limit turnovers.