More e-mails on Joe Pa.

Well, the case for Paterno being the most powerful person at Penn State is gaining more credibility.

That article is a non-story. You don't think that every other big time coach is trying to make sure that he is the one that punishes his players not the schoo. Don't tell me that the Iowa coaches were happy about Coker and didn't fight the president behind the scenes.

That looks bad, but I feel like we are still missing some context regarding all of this. Paterno wanted to handle his players discipline, really is that shocking? Every coach at that level is a control freak and would prefer as little outside influence as possible.

I can understand how it looks( it looks horrible and a reasonable argument can be made linking this to how the Sandusky case was handled) and why people will pile on the "culture" od PSU Football, but I bet Bowden, Saban and Ferentz( and every other college coach) would prefer to handle player discipline in house as well.

That looks bad, but I feel like we are still missing some context regarding all of this. Paterno wanted to handle his players discipline, really is that shocking? Every coach at that level is a control freak and would prefer as little outside influence as possible.

I can understand how it looks( it looks horrible and a reasonable argument can be made linking this to how the Sandusky case was handled) and why people will pile on the "culture" od PSU Football, but I bet Bowden, Saban and Ferentz( and every other college coach) would prefer to handle player discipline in house as well.

There is a difference between prefering to handle it and being able to handle it. Every coach would prefer to handle it, but a rare few have the power to do it. Paterno had that power and didn't seem afraid to show that he had it.

I don't really know exactly what Coker did so I can only say that I bet the Iowa coaching staff wish he had not been involved in the first place because he would still be here. I think it shows that Iowa has more institutional control than Penn State.

That looks bad, but I feel like we are still missing some context regarding all of this. Paterno wanted to handle his players discipline, really is that shocking? Every coach at that level is a control freak and would prefer as little outside influence as possible. I can understand how it looks( it looks horrible and a reasonable argument can be made linking this to how the Sandusky case was handled) and why people will pile on the "culture=" od PSU Football, but I bet Bowden, Saban and Ferentz( and every other college coach) would prefer to handle player discipline in house as well.
There is a difference between prefering to handle it and being able to handle it. Every coach would prefer to handle it, but a rare few have the power to do it. Paterno had that power and didn't seem afraid to show that he had it.
=

I agree that is how this will be percieved, but we still don't know that is the case. Is it possible this employee was disgruntled and is exaggerating the pressure?

Also my experience is that old people (especially successful ones) are slow to make changes. Paterno was a coach for over 60 years and while our culture has changed and university administration culture has changed my guess is that Paterno likely felt that he didn't need to adapt his core principles to match those changes. My guess is that Paterno probably felt that his punishment would be more fierce than the school's general punishment. I believe that he truly intended to produce good and well rounded young men, not just football players. I think his success at that is being overlooked and I think he was ultimately wildly successful as both a coach and a leader of young men.

Certainly he made mistakes in the Sandusky case and most likely beyond. A lot of this frenzy just feels wrong to me. I feel like Paterno is being torn down with snippets of info that are being released by people with agenda's that are trying to deflect blame squarely on JoePa since he is conviently out of the picture now.

=

I agree that is how this will be percieved, but we still don't know that is the case. Is it possible this employee was disgruntled and is exaggerating the pressure?

Also my experience is that old people (especially successful ones) are slow to make changes. Paterno was a coach for over 60 years and while our culture has changed and university administration culture has changed my guess is that Paterno likely felt that he didn't need to adapt his core principles to match those changes. My guess is that Paterno probably felt that his punishment would be more fierce than the school's general punishment. I believe that he truly intended to produce good and well rounded young men, not just football players. I think his success at that is being overlooked and I think he was ultimately wildly successful as both a coach and a leader of young men.

Certainly he made mistakes in the Sandusky case and most likely beyond. A lot of this frenzy just feels wrong to me. I feel like Paterno is being torn down with snippets of info that are being released by people with agenda's that are trying to deflect blame squarely on JoePa since he is conviently out of the picture now.

I think it's healthy if all of the aspects are investigated. Paterno may have done some really bad stuff here. However, he can also be the perfect scapegoat because he's dead.

I think all of the people who actively or passively covered up the raping of children should be punished.

"Probe" and "Internal" should never be used together in a headline about Penn State.

Paterno = The Emperor with new clothes.

The only problem is he's too busy being dead to realize he's been exposed.

Last edited:

Latest posts