Moral Victories: Fry v. Ferentz

MrTHawk

Does anyone remember what Hayden Fry said after losing to Nebraska 24-21 in 1979?

Does anyone also remember what Kirk Ferentz said after losing to Michigan 20-6 in 2006?

If anyone does, then they know exactly what I am talking about.

Fry never accepted or believed in moral victories. Kirk Ferentz does.

What is our record in 2014, morally speaking?

We showed a lot of heart late against Maryland, we weren't favored, and it was an away game. Does this make us 7-2 morally?

Fry said it best and had many great quotes. See below.. It's one of my Favorites..

4c9oAGocE.jpeg

Last edited:
It was Oklahoma, and it was 21-6 in Norman. They had Billy Sims, who was the returning Heisman Trophy winner. My dad was there. There is still one of those disposable plastic stadium cups with OU on it somewhere in our kitchen.

I was also in Ann Arbor for the '06 game. My family is kind of cool.

Last edited:
Fry said it best and had many great quotes. See below.. It's one of my Favorites..

Fry was a straight shooter. Never minced words to my recollection. Ferentz will simply never throw anyone under the bus. And, he always tries to put some sort of positive spin on things or find the positive even when it’s pretty hard to spot.

Personally, I believe this is a product of the times in which each man coached. In today’s day and age, you have to be so dang politically correct it’s sickening. You can hardly single a player out, and you can’t make even a remotely controversial comment without it being plastered everywhere and dissected by every schmuck who has an opinion.

Can you imagine the backlash on a coach today if they even alluded to punching a player in the mouth, let alone stating verbatim, “Any player who smiles after loss, I’ll punch in the mouth.â€￾ OMG a coach who said that today would get crushed.

Jim Zabel: 'Well, Hayden, you must be proud of the game you just played against Oklahoma, only loosing 21-7.' Coach Fry: Well, no Jim, I'm not proud because we lost the game. And we didn't go down there to loose. We went down there to win and we didn't do it. But we'll do better next time.'
4c9oAGocE.jpeg

What is our record in 2014, morally speaking?

We showed a lot of heart late against Maryland, we weren't favored, and it was an away game. Does this make us 7-2 morally?

A 6-3 record and none of the 9 teams Iowa played are ranked above them in the Sagarin rankings. Only Minnesota is close, Iowa is at 42 and they are 43, and they pounded Iowa up and down the field.

This particular Iowa team is not impressive from the head coach all the way down the line.

Iowa Football as of 11-9-2014 is not in a great spot right now, season record aside.

Does anyone remember what Hayden Fry said after losing to Nebraska 24-21 in 1979?

Does anyone also remember what Kirk Ferentz said after losing to Michigan 20-6 in 2006?

If anyone does, then they know exactly what I am talking about.

Fry never accepted or believed in moral victories. Kirk Ferentz does.

Memories are funny things. I remember what Fry said after losing to Oklahoma in 1979, but what did he say after the Nebraska loss?

"I might have to get the baseball bat out to get the boys off the bus".

I believe that Fry statement may have come before that Nebraska game.

Latest posts