MLK Jr and George

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawkdrummer1

I'm sure many of you know this, but some may not.

George Raveling (Iowa bball coach from '83-'86) grew up in Washington DC. At the famous "March on Washington" in 1963 where Dr Martin Luther King Jr delivered his "I have a dream" speech, Raveling worked security on the podium. After Dr. King finished and began to exit the stage, Raveling asked if he could have the speech. King handed Raveling the original typewritten paper. Raveling still has the original and has been offered as much as a Million dollars for it.

I remember that guy. He said he hoped for a future where every time someone looked at another person they were noticing character rather than skin pigment. Holy Christ did the USA collectively say F U to his dream every day since his passing.

I remember that guy. He said he hoped for a future where every time someone looked at another person they were noticing character rather than skin pigment. Holy Christ did the USA collectively say F U to his dream every day since his passing.

I respectfully disagree.

I respectfully disagree.

Actually you just nailed the problem eloquently with your reply.

Public discourse is at at an all time low. Understanding of history is at an all time low. Integrity in science at an all time low. Every institution is hyper-politicized and seeking power rather than objective truth. China ascendant and America regressive. The fundamental building block of society, the nuclear biological family has been decimated and America is engaged in a permanent oppression Olympics. And a holocaust of innocent lives 6 times greater than that of WW2, with the perpetrators hailed as heroes. If you think that's a realization of his dream . . . well I respectfully disagree.

I'm sure many of you know this, but some may not.

George Raveling (Iowa bball coach from '83-'86) grew up in Washington DC. At the famous "March on Washington" in 1963 where Dr Martin Luther King Jr delivered his "I have a dream" speech, Raveling worked security on the podium. After Dr. King finished and began to exit the stage, Raveling asked if he could have the speech. King handed Raveling the original typewritten paper. Raveling still has the original and has been offered as much as a Million dollars for it.

I didn't know this. Interesting.

Actually you just nailed the problem eloquently with your reply.

Public discourse is at at an all time low. Understanding of history is at an all time low. Integrity in science at an all time low. Every institution is hyper-politicized and seeking power rather than objective truth. China ascendant and America regressive. The fundamental building block of society, the nuclear biological family has been decimated and America is engaged in a permanent oppression Olympics. And a holocaust of innocent lives 6 times greater than that of WW2, with the perpetrators hailed as heroes. If you think that's a realization of his dream . . . well I respectfully disagree.

You site many important things, but your initial inference that racism is worse than (or as bad as) it was in 1963 simply isn't true. The mainstream media and political opportunists love to inflame things and create a perception that that's the case (and many people willingly drink it up) but it isn't. "Reality" is not what you're shown on the evening news.

People of all races are so much more integrated in our society...in every way. We work together, play together, live next door to each other, our kids hang out together, interracial relationships of all kinds are common place. Many make the mistake of comparing the current landscape to "perfection" (which is as foolish as it is unrealistic). Of course racism still exists...in every corner of the world. But 2018 America is much different that 1963 America.

Yes, better now than in 1963. However if you look at racism with this current administration like you look at the NCAA top 25 rankings you'll see racism is trending up^

USA Today had a story on this a while back. Raveling was not a person to mess with. It's too bad he wasn't in Memphis in 1968.

@hd1
We live in a society where your immutable traits trump your character because it has been codified into law so that even fair-minded people aren't allowed to make that their first consideration when interacting with their fellow citizen. We've done pretty much the opposite of what he hoped for. Hey, the upside is we can agree to disagree without burning each other's city to the ground. I guess that makes us role models.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.