Miller & Deace - Big 10 expansion

busabus114

Yesterday in a thread Jon teased the fact that Mizzou joining the big 10 would be very bad for ISU. Since im at work i cant listen to the podcast of the show - can someone who heard the show fill me in on why?

thanks

They didn't post the whole show. And I don't know if they are going to. they talked about PSU and Cincy...they even touched on Nebraska and why they would be good...I can't remember if they went on about ISU though.

We tried pulling down the second hour this morning and could not get into it...I will try here in a bit, because the second hour is essential to go along with the first.

Yesterday in a thread Jon teased the fact that Mizzou joining the big 10 would be very bad for ISU. Since im at work i cant listen to the podcast of the show - can someone who heard the show fill me in on why?

thanks
Essentially the answer is that ISU and B12 would receive even less TV exposure.

Jon and Steve came up with a compelling argument for Nebraska being the 12th team in the first hour.

After their analysis, should Nebraska bolt, it could mean the loss of one of ISU's highest revenue generating games every two years. I wouldn't be surprised if the expanded B10 went to a nine game conference schedule. It could mean Iowa would not always be able to schedule ISU every year. A five games within division and four games out of division arrangement would eliminate the need to pay for a non-conference opponent.

The thing I don't understand with all this conference talk is how much centers around the BTN and $$$. From what I have gathered the BTN struggles to get advertisers, and makes the majority of its money from charging providers like mediacom, dtv, and dish. Are there enough viewers watching this network to make it worth what they are charging when it comes time to renew the contract? Maybe Rotel/Velveta have deep pockets?

I didn't catch all of their show, but what I heard was interesting. Personally, My #1 pick would be Notre Dame---by a mile. They're within our geographical footprint, are a 10/10 in tradition and close to that in academics. I also would propose that we issue them an ultimatum: Don't join Big 10 this time, don't expect to play any of our members during the regular season. This may penalize Purdue, Michigan and MSU (lose top notch out of conference opponent=makes fans happy), but they're going to be picking up a new worthy matchup with the new conference member.

Steve brought up Nebraska as a possibility, and as they discussed it they came up with a lot of positives. However, I think they were somewhat presumptuous in thinking the Cornhuskers would want to join the Big 10. Financially it's gotta be a positive for them, but Nebraska has tremendous tradition and I think it would be nearly impossible for they and their fans to part with that. I'd love Nebraska personally--wouldn't bring a lot of TV eyeballs but they'd bring some shine to the brand name.

Missouri: my last choice. My perception of them is second rate academics and less than honorable coaching and administration. I can't back this up with facts or research, just my built-in gut feel for years--but that counts for something. Would much rather see Rutgers or Pittsburgh than Missou.

I may be wrong about this, but I think that Notre Dame isn't the same kind of research university that all of the other big ten schools are. That may be a factor.

I think that Nebraska fits, though.

From an athletic standpoint, Notre Dame would be great. Overall, Nebraska would also be great and might help to shift the balance of power in the (new) b10 a little more west. That would be a good thing for Iowa.

Can you imagine some of the games? Awesome.

If I was the Big XII and either of Mizzou or Nebraska leaves, I drop ISU and Baylor immediately and go hard after some combo of Arkansas, LSU, TCU, BYU, Utah

I think the Big Ten needs to go outside of its footprint and get a school with a big student body in a big media market and growing athletics Rutgers has been a none factor on the East coast for generations NYC is a pro sports town and could care less when Rutgers plays Nwestern. What the Big Ten needs is University of Central Florida in Orlando 51,000 student body large media market with no other teams other than Magic great for recruiting amazing growth opportunity new basketball and football stadiums. No growth with Rutgers with UCF and Orlando market amazing growth options. Look for 10 years not tomorrow Rutgers adds zero UCF adds growth in a large media market starved for quality college athletics.

If I was the Big XII and either of Mizzou or Nebraska leaves, I drop ISU and Baylor immediately and go hard after some combo of Arkansas, LSU, TCU, BYU, Utah

There's not really much of a precedent for a conference just booting teams out. The only time I can think of is the Big East kicking Temple out in football, I think it's highly unlikely they force Baylor and ISU out.

I didn't say it was likely, I said it is what I'd do

That said, I see the Pac-10 is considering expansion and they may also want BYU & Utah (and/or Colorado)

Take away easy teams for Texas, Oklahoma, and Nebraska to beat and replace them with better programs? No way in hell the Big 12 would ever do that.

Latest posts