Miller: Bitter Ending

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
Bitter Ending | Hawkeye Nation

They say every actor in the history of Hollywood is no more than six degrees removed from working with Kevin Bacon.

Today, I feel just one degree removed, as I spent the better part of the last week sticking up for the Iowa defense.

Now, I feel like Bacon’s character from the end of ‘Animal House’ where he was holding his hands up saying ‘Nothing to see here,’ just before he got steamrolled.

I can cite all of the stats and numbers in the world. I can talk about looking at the big picture until I am blue in the face, or red for that matter.
In the end, the scoreboard is the ultimate judge, just as I cited this past week.

In all three of Iowa’s losses this year, we can find several things not pertaining to the Iowa defense as to why Iowa didn’t win. There has been plenty of ‘blame’ to go around, since people are into pointing fingers and having their pound of flesh to some how sate their angst.

But in all three of those losses as well as last week’s win at Indiana, the defense did not stand in the gap in the fourth quarter.

It hurts me to write that, and that has nothing to do with my opinions likely being wrong. I have never, ever had a problem admitting when I have been wrong or off base with an opinion.

It hurts because this is as very good Iowa defense, it’s just not great.
The bigger problem is the Iowa offense has gotten worse these last two weeks, not better. There is a rumor out there that Iowa scored 37 points against Michigan State a few weeks ago.

I’ll have to look it up to believe it.

Iowa was plagued by a horrific first half of offense where it was 0-7 on third downs. They had too many penalties and were put in holes they could not dig out of. The playcalling was deemed unimaginative by the folks in the chat.
In the second half, there were key dropped balls, including two on the final drive.

Today, this Iowa team couldn’t deal with prosperity, either.

Iowa led Northwestern 17-7 with 11 minutes to go in the game and they were on the Northwestern 38 yard line. On 2nd and 11, Rick Stanzi went back to pass and he got greedy, going over the top to DJK and the ball was intercepted. I can’t say for sure if there was anything open underneath, but it looked like Stanzi decided he was going deep before the snap. He never saw the safety. The Cats picked it off and then put together back to back prodigious drives.

To not get points there was disappointing and it could mean the difference between a great season and one that is either ‘good’ or incredibly disappointing, depending on what happens next week against Ohio State.
People have various theories related to why they don’t think I am ‘critical enough’ in their minds of the Iowa football team.

Out of the mental mist following this loss, I think I have the answer.
Iowa football brings us all so much joy, year in and year out. It marks the time of our lives in some ways. It’s difficult for me to be uber negative about something that has brought me amazing joy. That, and I tend to see the brighter sides of life.

However in this loss, it’s tough to do that. It’s tough to envision this team getting off the mat and beating Ohio State at home next week. If they don’t, they will be 7-4 and we’ll begin to think of the 2010 season in the same category as the 1997 season, which is the most disappointing season I ever witnessed as an Iowa fan.

It’s tough for me to think in those terms, because so many of the faces that brought us unbelievable moments the past two years are still on this team, and I can’t bear to view them in such a light.

I probably won’t, or I will be able to separate the football from the faces, the people from the production.

Losses like this hurt so much because we care so much. Some people express their ‘hurt’ better than others, but in the end, hurt is the reason.

Inconsistency has plagued the Iowa football team this year. Sometimes its been the offense, other times its been the defense. Poor special teams has been the consistent, however, although it’s tough to pin anything on them today.

There will be a lot of questions from today’s game:
-Play calling inconsistencies
-Why was the defense so tired
-Where was the offense we saw in the 3rd quarter in the 1st half?
-Where is Iowa’s two-minute offensive composure

And several more of course. Those are just a few that come to mind.
I don’t have any answers for you. I am not sure the players or coaches will, either.

In the end, Iowa is now 7-3, Big Ten title dreams are an afterthought. They have lost to Northwestern five times in their last six meetings and winter is upon us.

It’s a tough day and the sun will rise in the morning, but for now, it’s tough to pull out of the fog.

Unmet expectations are sometimes the most brutal emotions to face, and fans are dealing with that now…so likely, are the Iowa players.

The memory for me this season will be the fact that our D has been on the field with a chance to close the game out in all of our losses. Arizona, Wisconsin and Northwestern! Hell, it would have happened against Indiana to if Belcher hadn't flat out dropped the ball. That fact is just tough to swallow considering all of the talent we have on that side of the ball.

Good post, Jon.

I have been saying all season that something just didn't seem "right" with this defense. Maybe it's Norm not being there. Maybe it's "fat cats" setting in. Maybe it's a combination of a lot of things. But for this Iowa program under Ferentz to be "great" rather than "good", the defense HAS to be great because for whatever reason, Ferentz is never going to allow the Iowa program to open it up, offensively. Because of that, some games are going to be closer than they need to be. The defense needs to "fill that gap", as you say. They haven't this year.

We are pretty close to the same age, so we have both lived 1997. I'm guessing neither of us thought we'd get to that point again.....at least not so soon. Unfortunately, we have.

One thing Jon - you spent all week basically calling NW's recent winning history against Iowa a fluke, and predicted that Iowa would emphatically steamroll the Wildcats today.
I think you need to finally give Northwestern their due.
When the game was there to be decided in the fourth quarter, they once again were the better team.
Give NW credit.

The D has been disappointing, but we also are not running the football enough. 4.9 yard average today for A-Rob...but only 22 carries. Not enough, not even close to enough carries. Coker carried it 3 times...if A-Rob is tired, put Coker in and run the freaking ball some more.

There was nothing fluky about NW's win today. But don't try my patience any further. I have given as much blood as I intend to ;)

Almost every pass play was rolled out of the pocket due to collapse of the OL, and the DL got gassed having to run 20 yards every play trying to catch him.

Then you have LBs out in space and every time a guy was open. It's time we start defending the spread differently.

And it's time for a change on offense with KOK. Every year we question why Iowa comes out flat, or the playcalling, or where did that scoring outburst come from??

There's been one constant, and it's KOK.

Even with how "poor" the defense played, Iowa should have scored more than 17 points, and 18 points against these teams.

Iowa's offense plays scared. We have success with something, then move away from it, or continue to try to do something that isn't working.

Why can't Coker get a few carries in the 1st half? And why does Iowa always do something stupid every game?

Stanzi has progressed this year, but he has picked the worst times to revert to old habits. He's a senior, he should have known to never throw that pass. That was the time to just dump it off, even if incomplete or no gain....we probably win this game.

It's time for KF and staff to start allowing the players to make plays, instead of reeling everything in, and keeping things close. We lucked out last year, we have not lucked out this year.

And that's about what to expect playing this type of football. 50/50, it's great to have a shot at beating the bigger schools, but it really sucks to continue to lose to the lesser teams. Teams who are allowed to hang with us because of our style.

WI proved a big point today, while BB is a doofus, I like the way he coaches. He's got a bit of Hayden Fry in him.

I wish KF would too.

The memory for me this season will be the fact that our D has been on the field with a chance to close the game out in all of our losses. Arizona, Wisconsin and Northwestern! Hell, it would have happened against Indiana to if Belcher hadn't flat out dropped the ball. That fact is just tough to swallow considering all of the talent we have on that side of the ball.

The defense is batting 1.5/5 in their opportunities to make the clutch stop (I'll give them .5 for Indiana since we should have lost there). It's frustrating to see. But it's what we are.

I'll still support this team through thick and thin. I'll be at Kinnick on Saturday cheering them against the Buckeyes. I still love the guys we have, they've given me a lot of great memories. But I'm not going to look at this team through black and gold glasses, I haven't all year.

GO HAWKS!!!!

I don't even want sunshine blown up my *** right now. This was a foul loss and I am in a vile mood. Reasonable evaluations of how Iowa played today are pointless at the current juncture in time.

Last Sunday I looked at the pre-season top 25's. Out of 25 ranked pre-season teams only 14 or 15 (depending on poll) were ranked. The high expectations were beyond this team's ability. Those close wins last year have become this years close losses. I would say that this team hasn't gotten better as the season progressed, especially the offense. Stanzi lost his magic.

The thing that bugs me about Northwestern..........their confidence. You could see it on their coaches and players faces even when the Hawks were marching right before Stanzi's second int. As much as I despise Pat Fitzgerald, I respect the hell out of the man. Great coach. Great motivator. And he owns us as a head coach.

I really don't think you can hang this in on the defense. Granted they had the two drives in the fourth, but the D provided a number of stops today and gave up only 21 points. The reality is that if Persa doesn't play all world today, they don't even score those two. He was just incredible and clearly the Big 10 QB of the Year. He made all the plays with people running him ragged. It was crazy what he did today.

Our defense executed as they are coached. Wrong philosophy for this NW team as their offense is designed to be patient and take the underneath stuff, and methodically play after play, take the 4-6 gain we so generously give them by our coverage and "bend and don't break" defense.

Jon, this game was lost in the first half when we weren't prepared to attack them, and we shortened the game for them before we decided to play more aggressively in the passing game. How do you look at your offensive coordinator and say, "you've put together two great game plans over the past two weeks". I can't help but feel we play not to lose when we have huge advantages in the WR / DB matchups that we don't exploit down the field.

This is on Ferentz. We have been out-coached in all three losses in my opinion. Arizona and Wisconsin not as much, but today was by a huge margin.

I hope it is finally clear to the staff that they need to spend much more time and energy in preparing for this game. The NW vs. IA game is a focal point for NW for personal reasons to the coaching staff, similar to the us and Penn St. for our staff. Our schemes have proven they are not working well enough against these guys. They have to be willing to change, instead of hoping for them to turn the ball over.

Also, the linebacker injuries are turning out to be a HUGE issue not getting much publicity.

Great post, Jon.

I posted about conditioning, before I read yours, sorry. There seams to be something wrong in that regard, and it's appalling to think that this is a/the reason for every collapse this season. I also agree, that even if Iowa gets off the mat, and has a "glorious" win, it will call the entire season into question even more. It is also embarrassing to keep losing to NU, against a coach that openly "hates" you, against a program that is so far behind you in facilities, focus, and history. Makes for a sickening feeling when your team is so consistently outclassed by inferior rivals.

Also, when KF called for the spike on the 15 yard line with 39 seconds left in the first half, giving away a play, with 2 timeouts in his pocket. I instinctively knew that the 4 points we didn't get by executing into the end zone, was going to haunt us... I unfortunately said this aloud at our game watch, and feel I unleashed the Karma Dragon.

My bad...

However, a head coach who pulls jack in Ferentz's category should know better how to run the 2 minute offense. That call was a disaster.

There was nothing fluky about NW's win today. But don't try my patience any further. I have given as much blood as I intend to ;)

Sorry, but on your Hawkeye Insider segment on television, you basically dismissed NW.
I didn't understand it then, and certainly don't now.
They are tough on both sides of the ball, Persa is the best QB in the Big Ten, and they should have beaten both Mich State and Penn State. Every year, they battle us to a standstill in the trenches.

I hope it is finally clear to the staff that they need to spend much more time and energy in preparing for this game. The NW vs. IA game is a focal point for NW for personal reasons to the coaching staff, similar to the us and Penn St. for our staff. Our schemes have proven they are not working well enough against these guys. They have to be willing to change, instead of hoping for them to turn the ball over.

Also, the linebacker injuries are turning out to be a HUGE issue not getting much publicity.

Just like it took KF and friends five years to take DannyMac seriously? I guess that means we can look forward to beating NW in 2013.

I really don't think you can hang this in on the defense. ....

Our defense executed as they are coached. Wrong philosophy for this NW team as their offense is designed to be patient and take the underneath stuff, and methodically play after play, take the 4-6 gain we so generously give them by our coverage and "bend and don't break" defense.

Jon, this game was lost in the first half when we weren't prepared to attack them, and we shortened the game for them before we decided to play more aggressively in the passing game. How do you look at your offensive coordinator and say, "you've put together two great game plans over the past two weeks". I can't help but feel we play not to lose when we have huge advantages in the WR / DB matchups that we don't exploit down the field.

This is on Ferentz. We have been out-coached in all three losses in my opinion. Arizona and Wisconsin not as much, but today was by a huge margin.

I dont disagree with you, but at some point in time, a group that we all have a lot faith in and belief in has to come up when you most need them...two 10+ play 85+ yard scoring drives in the fourth quarter is not that, as much as I hate to say it. They are a very good defense. Perhaps just not as elite as we thought, at least in crunch time.

I am a big picture guy, but at some point in time, when we have had five games this year where the defense has not made stops on final drives, even I have to acknowledge that.

I dont disagree with you, but at some point in time, a group that we all have a lot faith in and belief in has to come up when you most need them...two 10+ play 85+ yard scoring drives in the fourth quarter is not that, as much as I hate to say it. They are a very good defense. Perhaps just not as elite as we thought, at least in crunch time.

I am a big picture guy, but at some point in time, when we have had five games this year where the defense has not made stops on final drives, even I have to acknowledge that.

Point well taken. I just feel sometimes you run into a QB who is in a zone and Persa was simply amazing. He made every right decision and every throw he needed to. It was amazing.

I believe it was John Facenda (the legend of NFL films narration) who said "great teams aren't always great, they are just great when they have to be."

We aren't a great team.

Point well taken. I just feel sometimes you run into a QB who is in a zone and Persa was simply amazing. He made every right decision and every throw he needed to. It was amazing.

I believe it was John Facenda (the legend of NFL films narration) who said "great teams aren't always great, they are just great when they have to be."

We aren't a great team.

At some point, the cumulative comes into play.

Latest posts