Mike Evans?/Thoughts after the weekend

WildTurkey

So he loses to Garcia. Whats up with that?

At one point in time Mike beat Campolatto(sp) and Ed Ruth. Now he loses to Garcia(who)? after over a years training with the Brands Bros.

Evans should have bulked up and wrestled 174. At 174 the guys arent as quick and they would have more trouble getting to his legs. Lofthouse should be wrestling at 165. He looks small at 174. Also Grant should suck it up and make the move to 184 before its to late.

Cayle Byers going to Okie State really put a hole for the hawks at 97. If Byers was at 97 Grant would still be at 84. Byers doesnt even start for the Cowgirls!

If St John is back and healthy by the big tens that will certainly help. I think Tom made a huge mistake putting DSJ out on Friday night. Overall since the Midlands the almighty hawks haven't looked so mighty. Even our "murderers row" has had some very disappointing matches. Remember this is Iowa wrestling and losing is just not acceptable.

Its going to take a lot of effort from this team to beat Minny coming up. Hopefully things start to come together for this young Hawk wrestling team.
Sorry for being so negative but i dont have much of anything postitve to say after this weekend...

So he loses to Garcia. Whats up with that?

At one point in time Mike beat Campolatto(sp) and Ed Ruth. Now he loses to Garcia(who)? after over a years training with the Brands Bros.

Evans should have bulked up and wrestled 174. At 174 the guys arent as quick and they would have more trouble getting to his legs. Lofthouse should be wrestling at 165. He looks small at 174. Also Grant should suck it up and make the move to 184 before its to late.

Cayle Byers going to Okie State really put a hole for the hawks at 97. If Byers was at 97 Grant would still be at 84. Byers doesnt even start for the Cowgirls!

If St John is back and healthy by the big tens that will certainly help. I think Tom made a huge mistake putting DSJ out on Friday night. Overall since the Midlands the almighty hawks haven't looked so mighty. Even our "murderers row" has had some very disappointing matches. Remember this is Iowa wrestling and losing is just not acceptable.

Its going to take a lot of effort from this team to beat Minny coming up. Hopefully things start to come together for this young Hawk wrestling team.
Sorry for being so negative but i dont have much of anything postitve to say after this weekend...
Mike is trying to get stuff figured out. I agree he looks a little lost at 165. He may be better at 174, it is hard to say, but him at 165 helps the team more this year. Still don't understand the Gambrall move. I would suggest any warm body would be just as good at 197. You are giving up major points at nationals having him there.

Is Lofthouse a senior, or junior this year? If he is gone next year if will be interesting to see where Evans wrestles. He is a big 165, but you are right, he has not been able to move that size well enough to consistently compete with the other guys in that class. He dwarfed Taylor, but Taylor was so much faster it was startling.

Lofthouse is a soph, Evans will be fine he was wrestling possibly the best wrestler in the nation yeaterday. Yes he was caught flat footed a couple times but who doesnt Taylor catch flat footed. Mike will learn alot form this match and get better from it. As far as the Garcia match its not like Garcia is some chump he was a very talented recruit coming out of high school maybe Evans overlooked him thinking about the Taylor matchup. I will know more once the big ten replays the match on tv. Step back from the ledge its January 23 not March.

Yeah - can't really fault anyone for being upset right now. Iowa is a dominating program and we expect champions. So do the coaches and so do the fans. It's hard to stay on top because mentally, it just grinds on you. You always have a target on your back and you need to realize that. When the Hawks bring it - no one can beat them... this year included. When this team wrestles to it's potential there isn't a better team in the country... PSU included. But right now, this team has a serious mental deficit. There is a serious lack of attack, a failure to get on their offense and, many times, a failure to understand how to win.

Guys like Tony Ramos getting shut out on Friday. I know Stieber is good and I know you're on the road but you just beat Jordan Oliver... probably the most dominant wrestler in the country tied with Taylor. And he did it in pretty solid fashion. Matt McDonough, a two time finalist and NCAA champ, failing to get a major either Friday or Sunday against two freshman. I don't care if they're talented... they aren't anywhere close to McD's level. I can go on and on.

Look at this team against the nation's best (PSU) when they wrestle as they should:

125 - McDonough: major+
133 - Ramos: major+
141 - Marion: decision
149 - Kelly: loss (dec)
157 - StJ: decision+
165 - Evans: loss (dec)
174 - Lofthouse: loss (dec)
184 - should be Gambrall: tossup
197 - loss (dec+)
Telford - decision

Without bonus points, Iowa should win the dual 5 matches to 5 on criteria. With bonus points, as they SHOULD get, Iowa should win by 3-6 points. We have solid wrestlers where their power is and they have average wrestlers where our power is. Evans did a good job to hold Taylor down - only the second guy all year to do so. Lofthouse folded after losing to Ruth on a last second TD at BTs last year. Kelly was overmatched but held off Molinaro well, who was gassed. Gambrall brain-farted against McIntosh who he should beat any day of the week. Rasing wrestled terribly against Wade who i've always found to be overrated - I think Telford blows him away but I think you HAD to start Rasing to get Telford motivated and also because the dual was lost at that point anyway.

If this team has Gambrall at 184 where he should be and where he's a tossup with Quinton Wright as evidenced last year, and if they had a healthy StJohn they are better than PSU. If they'd been able to keep Byers they'd be significantly better than PSU. They wrestled badly against OkSt and tied them... they melted down against OSU which is mind boggling (first loss since 1966!!!)

It's just a crapshoot right now.

For such a talented team - it's really hard to watch.

I have confidence in Brands and I hope these guys can get their heads on straight for this weekend and the rest of the year. Minnesota will be looking to pound them and is easily talented enough to do so. We have too many guys that are too good for this team to be performing like this.

Bottom line - and as Ironside has said many times - I think they lack a leader. They lack a Brent Metcalf, a Mark Perry, a Mark Ironside. McDonough is a quiet leader and so is Ramos but that's not what they need. They need someone who is loud and fiery... people like Perry's brother and Jared Rosholt on Okie State.

Cross your fingers. It's going to be a wild ride.

GO HAWKS

At the start of the year I knew he would have some growing pains so to speak but I do have a lot of faith in him. He is getting better after all he did beat Kokesh who is a complete stud. Evans in down a weight from where he should be and honestly I think 165 is a bit deeper than 174. I still think he is a AA and a pretty high one at that. Just relax a bit guys he will be fine.

At the start of the year I knew he would have some growing pains so to speak but I do have a lot of faith in him. He is getting better after all he did beat Kokesh who is a complete stud. Evans in down a weight from where he should be and honestly I think 165 is a bit deeper than 174. I still think he is a AA and a pretty high one at that. Just relax a bit guys he will be fine.

Don't disagree on Evans. He's not the problem right now. He's the future of Iowa wrestling and the guy I see leading this team his Junior and Senior years.

If you don't know what you are talking about you shouldn't be talking. Garcia was the #6 recruit in the nation behind #5 Mike Evans. Some people think just because someone wears the IA singlet they can't be beat. Should Mike have beaten Garcia? I think so but afterall Garcia is a talented kid just like Mike. Most freshman have inconsistancy issues and Mike is no exception. My god he just destroyed the #3 kid in the nation and people just all over him for losing to another talented kid. Please try and do some research if you don't follow wrestling before running your mouth. Thanks

Yeah - can't really fault anyone for being upset right now. Iowa is a dominating program and we expect champions. So do the coaches and so do the fans. It's hard to stay on top because mentally, it just grinds on you. You always have a target on your back and you need to realize that. When the Hawks bring it - no one can beat them... this year included. When this team wrestles to it's potential there isn't a better team in the country... PSU included. But right now, this team has a serious mental deficit. There is a serious lack of attack, a failure to get on their offense and, many times, a failure to understand how to win.

Guys like Tony Ramos getting shut out on Friday. I know Stieber is good and I know you're on the road but you just beat Jordan Oliver... probably the most dominant wrestler in the country tied with Taylor. And he did it in pretty solid fashion. Matt McDonough, a two time finalist and NCAA champ, failing to get a major either Friday or Sunday against two freshman. I don't care if they're talented... they aren't anywhere close to McD's level. I can go on and on.

Look at this team against the nation's best (PSU) when they wrestle as they should:

125 - McDonough: major+
133 - Ramos: major+
141 - Marion: decision
149 - Kelly: loss (dec)
157 - StJ: decision+
165 - Evans: loss (dec)
174 - Lofthouse: loss (dec)
184 - should be Gambrall: tossup
197 - loss (dec+)
Telford - decision

Without bonus points, Iowa should win the dual 5 matches to 5 on criteria. With bonus points, as they SHOULD get, Iowa should win by 3-6 points. We have solid wrestlers where their power is and they have average wrestlers where our power is. Evans did a good job to hold Taylor down - only the second guy all year to do so. Lofthouse folded after losing to Ruth on a last second TD at BTs last year. Kelly was overmatched but held off Molinaro well, who was gassed. Gambrall brain-farted against McIntosh who he should beat any day of the week. Rasing wrestled terribly against Wade who i've always found to be overrated - I think Telford blows him away but I think you HAD to start Rasing to get Telford motivated and also because the dual was lost at that point anyway.

If this team has Gambrall at 184 where he should be and where he's a tossup with Quinton Wright as evidenced last year, and if they had a healthy StJohn they are better than PSU. If they'd been able to keep Byers they'd be significantly better than PSU. They wrestled badly against OkSt and tied them... they melted down against OSU which is mind boggling (first loss since 1966!!!)

It's just a crapshoot right now.

For such a talented team - it's really hard to watch.

I have confidence in Brands and I hope these guys can get their heads on straight for this weekend and the rest of the year. Minnesota will be looking to pound them and is easily talented enough to do so. We have too many guys that are too good for this team to be performing like this.

Bottom line - and as Ironside has said many times - I think they lack a leader. They lack a Brent Metcalf, a Mark Perry, a Mark Ironside. McDonough is a quiet leader and so is Ramos but that's not what they need. They need someone who is loud and fiery... people like Perry's brother and Jared Rosholt on Okie State.

Cross your fingers. It's going to be a wild ride.

GO HAWKS

I felt Lofthouse did wrestle as he should and Ruth is just that much better. Ruth would major him more times than not in my opinion. Going into the match I thought maybe it would be a close match, but after watching it, Ruth was in complete control in all phases and never at risk of being taken down.

Gambrall isn't going to '84 so everyone might as well accept it. He must still be better than Lira who I believe is the only other option at '97 this year. Gambrall is a tossup at best with McIntosh even though I felt he missed some opportunities and probably should have won that match.

Wagner is wrestling well considering the circumstances. He's been competitive anyway.

He is a great wrestler and makes all if not most Hawks proud. It will be nice to see him close in on Taylor maybe he beats him next match, maybe he does....
Minny wrestles Michigan Friday several good matchups there. Minny Sunday is the perfect feast.
Mike is gonna hammer Yawn...

jmo
Go Hawks

Last edited:
So he loses to Garcia. Whats up with that?At one point in time Mike beat Campolatto(sp) and Ed Ruth. Now he loses to Garcia(who)? after over a years training with the Brands Bros. Evans should have bulked up and wrestled 174. At 174 the guys arent as quick and they would have more trouble getting to his legs...
=

still to big for 165?

Latest posts