Midland thoughts after day 1

CRwrestling

125: Thank god for McD.

133: Hopefully set in stone, great two deep if something were to happen. Above all else, Ramos looks like what a young hawkeye wrestler should. However, I hope he looks better against the likes of Graff than EL does against Reader.

141: A great young wrestler, who showed by giving up a 3-0 lead in the final minute of a big match he is indeed still a young wrestler.

149: Unbeleivable how the middle of our lineup always seems to have a gaping hole. Blows my mind the way we have a the largest recruiting base in college wrestling and a really deep room but in the heart of the lineup a big weakness. Hopefully Thom is right about MM, he fill that hole.

157: He's not as great as a lot of people thought. But he is definitely not as bad as he showed in this tournament. If he was hurt or sick that bad he should have stayed home and gotten healthy. His future seeds took a hit. Who would have guessed that Kelly would be our deepest 157 pounder at midlands this year.

165: Can't figure out Kerr, at the end of last year I thought he'd come back and put together a quality season for us. Jansen seems to be ahead of him. This one is just like last year.

174: EL is going to be fine, I for one had too high of expectations I think. He just isn't at the level that the top wrestler in his weight class are. Evans is going to be good.

184: Seems to be a really weak weightclass at Midlands this year, but GG looks great and is plowing through it better than I even hoped he would.

197: Finish a single. This is an easy weight at Midlands too. He got a favorable seed and all, dissappointed here unless he wrestles back to a third.

Hvy: win or lose 3-2 against any wrestler of any seed.

Absolutely nothing has been said about the absense of both Moores. Does anyone know anything about it? In high school they picked and moved to a different high school presumably for better wrestling opportunities. Is it a possibility they see Nate behind a couple of young wrestlers, and Micheal Kelly and DSJ being in Nick's path down the road too. Or are they both sick, hurt, not invited by Brands, etc. I'm just curious.

I think we've seen the separation we were looking for at 165. I've been a big Kerr fan (mostly hopeful that he'd bust out and excel), but I think Janssen has proven he's the better/more consistent wrestler at this weight. I think many feel the same about 133, although I'm not sure that weight is settled yet either. Clark won the wrestle off and then spent the past 2 months injured. I'm not sure it's a fair decision to base the conclusion off this head to head match up at Midlands; then again, life's not fair.

I don't know Nate Moore personally, but I have an aching feeling in my gut that attitude (as in bad) may be playing a role in Ramos getting the nod over a seemingly healthy Moore this year, to include him not wrestling at Midlands. Hopefully I'm wrong about this. Since his brother didn't wrestle it could also have been a family emergency. Since I'm typing this 600 miles south of Iowa City I definitely am not in the know.

I forgot to mention that I've been impressed with Rasing's aggressiveness (it's a relative thing for Hwt) in attempting TDs. Unfortunately, I've been equally unimpressed with his inability to finish. He takes lots of shots and gets in deep. How can a guy that big (I assume he's strong too) not be able to finish a TD? He usually ends up on his face. He would be an AA-caliber Hwt if he could learn to finish.

I forgot to mention that I've been impressed with Rasing's aggressiveness (it's a relative thing for Hwt) in attempting TDs. Unfortunately, I've been equally unimpressed with his inability to finish. He takes lots of shots and gets in deep. How can a guy that big (I assume he's strong too) not be able to finish a TD? He usually ends up on his face. He would be an AA-caliber Hwt if he could learn to finish.

I agree, same could be said about 197.

I think we've seen the separation we were looking for at 165. I've been a big Kerr fan (mostly hopeful that he'd bust out and excel), but I think Janssen has proven he's the better/more consistent wrestler at this weight. I think many feel the same about 133, although I'm not sure that weight is settled yet either. Clark won the wrestle off and then spent the past 2 months injured. I'm not sure it's a fair decision to base the conclusion off this head to head match up at Midlands; then again, life's not fair.

I don't know Nate Moore personally, but I have an aching feeling in my gut that attitude (as in bad) may be playing a role in Ramos getting the nod over a seemingly healthy Moore this year, to include him not wrestling at Midlands. Hopefully I'm wrong about this. Since his brother didn't wrestle it could also have been a family emergency. Since I'm typing this 600 miles south of Iowa City I definitely am not in the know.
I would like to know what is going on with the Moore's also. Seems very strange....

Latest posts