Michigan to Gator?

Hawkiam

Sounds like they are headed to the Gator. I know the Outback is still in play but my gut tells me we are headed to the Insight.

"Rodriguez will get to coach the Wolverines for at least one more game and it might be the Gator Bowl in Florida instead of the widely projected destination of the Insight Bowl in Arizona.
"I think we might be going in a different direction," Brandon said after master of ceremonies Frank Beckmann suggested the team was headed to Arizona to play a Big 12 team."

Rich Rodriguez gets emotional at Michigan Wolverines team banquet - ESPN

I know we deserve what we get but if the Gator Bowl thinks Michigan fans are going to travel in numbers or that a lot of people are going to tune in to watch Michigan, I think they are kidding themselves.

I spent Thanksgiving in Michigan and most of their fans refuse to watch or support them as long as Rich Rod is there...

I think you are right. I've been saying for some time now that we will be headed to the Insight Bowl - at least since we lost to NU. Both Penn State and Michigan are going to jump us. I suppose it is just as well, we would likely get CREAMED in either the Outback or the Gator.

I think you are right. I've been saying for some time now that we will be headed to the Insight Bowl - at least since we lost to NU. Both Penn State and Michigan are going to jump us. I suppose it is just as well, we would likely get CREAMED in either the Outback or the Gator.

What? The Insight Bowl will be the FAR tougher matchup, with either Missouri or Oklahoma State as the likely opponent. The Gator would be against a very mediocre Florida team. No chance we're going to the Outback so that matchup doesn't even matter.

And when was the last time Iowa got "creamed"? Not in the last 3 years.

If we do not go Gator which I hope we do. Im hoping for an Oklahoma win on Saturday, so we could possibly get a Iowa vs Nebraska match up in the Insight.

What? The Insight Bowl will be the FAR tougher matchup, with either Missouri or Oklahoma State as the likely opponent. The Gator would be against a very mediocre Florida team. No chance we're going to the Outback so that matchup doesn't even matter.

You make a good argument. Iowa could get creamed in the Insight Bowl too. Excellent.

I disagree. If it was going to be mizzu or OkSU it would have been announced already. As long as the Big 12 CC game isn't a blowout I feel they will take the loser. I think Ferentz vs Stoops would be too much to pass up, as would be an early matchup between Iowa and Nebraska. That is assuming we fall to the Insight.

I disagree. If it was going to be mizzu or OkSU it would have been announced already. As long as the Big 12 CC game isn't a blowout I feel they will take the loser. I think Ferentz vs Stoops would be too much to pass up, as would be an early matchup between Iowa and Nebraska. That is assuming we fall to the Insight.

The Alamo Bowl picks before the Insight, so they might pick the loser of the Big 12 game before the Insight can. If Nebraska loses, there is a decent chance they fall to the Insight as the Alamo Bowl will likely have to take Arizona and they wouldn't want an Arizona vs. Nebraska rematch. But if Oklahoma loses, the Alamo will take them in a heartbeat, leaving either Mizzou or Ok State for the Insight.

The Alamo Bowl picks before the Insight, so they might pick the loser of the Big 12 game before the Insight can. If Nebraska loses, there is a decent chance they fall to the Insight as the Alamo Bowl will likely have to take Arizona and they wouldn't want an Arizona vs. Nebraska rematch. But if Oklahoma loses, the Alamo will take them in a heartbeat, leaving either Mizzou or Ok State for the Insight.

How many times do we need to go over the Big12 selection process?

The winner of the Big12 title will head to the BCS. The loser will drop to either the Cotton Bowl (1st pick) or Alamo Bowl (2nd pick). The Insight picks 3rd, Holiday 4th, Texas 5th and Pinstripe 6th.

If OK wins v Nebby then OK will head to BCS game and Tx A&M will likely be selected over Nebby to play in the Cotton Bowl and Nebby will head to the Alamo Bowl. If Nebby wins they head to the BCS game and OK heads to the Cotton Bowl while A&M heads to the Alamo Bowl. Those three teams will occupy those three bowls. The Big12 has no restrictions on bowl selection. A bowl could pick Baylor over Nebby if they wanted although not likely.

That leaves (in order) OK St, Missouri, Baylor, K St and Tx Tech as bowl eligible from the Big12. Since the Insight picks 4th, I would expect them to take OK St as their fans travel well and have a ton of money (Boone Pickens). Iowa will either be playing in the Gator Bowl v Florida or Insight Bowl v OK St. I still think we are headed to the Gator bowl. I also think that Florida isn't a certainty for the Gator Bowl. It wouldn't surprise me to see the Gator take Miss St (or better) simply because they will receive a greater economic impact from any team other than Florida. Florida is too close and the fans won't spend money or stay in hotels for the game. The game is at 1:30 so Florida fans could actually celebrate New Years at home, sleep off the hangover and still have time to jump in their car and head to the game. That is exactly what the bowls Do Not want.

The winner of the Big12 title will head to the BCS. The loser will drop to either the Cotton Bowl (1st pick) or Alamo Bowl (2nd pick). The Insight picks 3rd, Holiday 4th, Texas 5th and Pinstripe 6th.

If OK wins v Nebby then OK will head to BCS game and Tx A&M will likely be selected over Nebby to play in the Cotton Bowl and Nebby will head to the Alamo Bowl. If Nebby wins they head to the BCS game and OK heads to the Cotton Bowl while A&M heads to the Alamo Bowl. Those three teams will occupy those three bowls. The Big12 has no restrictions on bowl selection. A bowl could pick Baylor over Nebby if they wanted although not likely.

That leaves (in order) OK St, Missouri, Baylor, K St and Tx Tech as bowl eligible from the Big12. Since the Insight picks 4th, I would expect them to take OK St as their fans travel well and have a ton of money (Boone Pickens). Iowa will either be playing in the Gator Bowl v Florida or Insight Bowl v OK St. I still think we are headed to the Gator bowl. I also think that Florida isn't a certainty for the Gator Bowl. It wouldn't surprise me to see the Gator take Miss St (or better) simply because they will receive a greater economic impact from any team other than Florida. Florida is too close and the fans won't spend money or stay in hotels for the game. The game is at 1:30 so Florida fans could actually celebrate New Years at home, sleep off the hangover and still have time to jump in their car and head to the game. That is exactly what the bowls Do Not want.

Texas A@M is going to the Cotton. They accepted bid.

Football, Texas A&M accepts Cotton Bowl bid; Up next: Alabama or LSU ... Football, Texas A&M Accepts Bid to 75th Cotton Bowl Classic (Ticket Info) ...

Last edited:
OK STATE is NOT a great traveling fan base. Boone has money, but it is a Sooner State. If they play in Texas they will come, but Arizona is a little further.

I think if Iowa goes to the Insight it will be against either Oklahoma St or Nebraska, I think the Alamo would rather have one of the Oklahoma schools instead of Nebraska if they have Arizona.

Oklahoma beats Nebraska
BCS: Oklahoma
Cotton: A&M
Alamo: Oklahoma St
Insight: Nebraska
Holiday: Missouri
Texas: Texas Tech
Pinstripe: KState
Ticket City: Baylor

Nebraska beats Oklahoma:
BCS: Nebraska
Alamo: Oklahoma
Insight: Oklahoma St

I know full well the order and I also know not to mention the Cotton because A&M already accepted a bid days ago, making most of what you wrote irrelevant.

What I stated is 100% accurate. They will not match Nebraska against Arizona again, so Nebraska loses and they fall to the Insight. The Alamo takes either Ok State or Mizzou. Nebraska wins and Oklahoma goes to the Alamo leaving Ok State or Mizzou for the Insight. They will likely take Mizzou as the Insight passed on them last year and it ticked off a lot of people. Also, Ok State does not travel well at all contrary to your statment.

And if you follow the bowl process like I do, you would know Florida is a near lock for the Gator and Mississippi State is going to the Chick Fil A.

I think if Iowa goes to the Insight it will be against either Oklahoma St or Nebraska, I think the Alamo would rather have one of the Oklahoma schools instead of Nebraska if they have Arizona.

Oklahoma beats Nebraska
BCS: Oklahoma
Alamo: Oklahoma St
Insight: Nebraska

Nebraska beats Oklahoma:
BCS: Nebraska
Alamo: Oklahoma
Insight: Oklahoma St

I agree with most of this, but Teddy Greenstein is saying it's NW vs. Texas Tech in the Ticket City Bowl. Baylor and Illinois in the Texas. Also, I am giving a slight nod to Mizzou over Ok State if Nebraska beats Oklahoma because of the Tiger's snub from a year ago.

I agree with most of this, but Teddy Greenstein is saying it's NW vs. Texas Tech in the Ticket City Bowl. Baylor and Illinois in the Texas. Also, I am giving a slight nod to Mizzou over Ok State if Nebraska beats Oklahoma because of the Tiger's snub from a year ago.

Yes you can flip flop TT and Baylor, and I can see Missouri jumping Oklahoma St if Iowa is there only because of the "regional" match up it would create, but I don't think the Insight cares it snubed Missouri last year in favor of ISU and will do them a "favor" and select them because of that.

And if I was a Missouri fan, I would want them to take someone else, I would rather go to San Diego than Phoenix even though it would be more expensive.

And if I was a Missouri fan, I would want them to take someone else, I would rather go to San Diego than Phoenix even though it would be more expensive.

And it would be an easier game. They would get a 6-6 Washington unless Washington State beats them, then Mizzou would get god only knows who. The Pac 10 had 2 really good teams this year and then a whole lot of nothing.

Sounds like they are headed to the Gator. I know the Outback is still in play but my gut tells me we are headed to the Insight.

"Rodriguez will get to coach the Wolverines for at least one more game and it might be the Gator Bowl in Florida instead of the widely projected destination of the Insight Bowl in Arizona.
"I think we might be going in a different direction," Brandon said after master of ceremonies Frank Beckmann suggested the team was headed to Arizona to play a Big 12 team."

Rich Rodriguez gets emotional at Michigan Wolverines team banquet - ESPN

Interesting. Yesterday, Tampa Bay I-Club put out a "breaking news" alert that IOWA is going to the Gator Bowl. I trust the leadership of that club, but I have heard it nowhere else, so I am skeptical of ANY info right now...

Latest posts