Michigan State Is Playing for the Roses

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
Michigan State has a legit shot at going to the Rose Bowl, even though they sit at 4-3 overall right now.

They have one loss in conference play. Other than Iowa, they play @Minnesota, @ Purdue and home against Penn State.

Of course, they would have to win out in conference. If they did, they would be 7-1 which would be no worse than a tie for the Big Ten title.

In this scenario, Penn State would have at least two losses, so they would be out. Iowa would need to win out to tie Michigan State in the standings, and if they did that, that would mean at least two losses for Ohio State, which would eliminate them from the Rose Bowl. That would leave them in a head to head tie with Iowa, and they would get the Rose Bowl bid having beaten Iowa.

So Michigan State really controls its own destiny here, because I don't think Ohio State gets through the rest of the year without at least one more loss in Big Ten play.

If Michigan State wins out, I think they play in the Rose Bowl..and that has to start with a win over Iowa on Saturday.

I was very hopeful two weeks ago that Michigan would deliver the kill shot on Sparty, to get them out of the mix and get their heads out of the title race...that didn't happen.

So expect Michigan State's best shot on Saturday, as this is their season.

Combined with our lack of success there for some reason, I see trouble in East Lansing.

Of course, we haven't given up a point on the road this year in the 2nd half... If that trend continues???

This will be the toughest game coming up.. the lofty rating will have an affect... even on our even keeled Hawks. We can hope that the magnitude of the game will keep them on the turf! They will get everyones best shot from here on out because every team will be trying to have a game to hang there hat... i.e. season... on, and Iowa is now the bullseye. If our Hawks pull this one off against MSU... Indiana will come to Kinick wanting to prove that the early season was the real Indiana. What a really fun season!!!! I am currently in South Carolina on business... and it's really cool how many people down here remember IOWA.

No doubt MSU and their crowd will be looking at this game as make or break for their season. Reminds me of NW in 2001 coming into Kinnick with a Rose Bowl bid in hand and the 2 win Hawkeyes were thirsting for an upset ...and got it. Weather played a big factor...which is what concerns me about Saturday nite...looks like it could be wet,windy and cold in East Lansing...not good for our passing game.

I am curious to see if Iowa is again a dog on the road when the lines come out. No one in the country outside the state of Iowa is giving the hawkeyes any credit and I think that plays into their favor. It has been a long time since Iowa beat Michigan State in Lansing, however this year seems to be the year of reversing trends. We need two things to happen in order for Iowa to win this weekend. One, Stanzi can not have a pick 6, and two we can't play the first half like we did against Wisconsin.

I am really optimistic about Michigan State. They are turning into a great passing team, which is good for us, as our LBs and DBs (when they aren't stuck playing prevent at the end of a game) are well versed at causing turnovers. We will have to account for #25 (can't remmeber his name) as he is their main "go to" receiver. If we stop him and get pressure on the QB, we have a great shot at upholding our "road warrior" cliche status.

As fun as it is this season to be "asking" for respect, the Hawks have been earning it. I don't like the discomfort of being the target for every game here on out, as mentioned above, but I guess it's a fact that we'll have to rest uneasy with each week's game. The pressure is on, but no more so than it was going into PSU or Wisky. I think Hawks have what it takes to win. Too bad MSU has so much to gain by a win as well.

Although being undefeated, hence having a big target on your back creates a challenge every week, I think that this is Iowa's biggest game of the season. If they can survive in east lansing their "toughest" test would be at ohio state. Even if we were to lose at ohio state, as long as we take care of business at home we would settle for no less than a tie. It would be fun to have it come down to iowa needing to defeat minnesota and keep floyd in ic, while watching michigan try to beat ohio st.

Jon, I think MSU ends the B10 season with 3 L's.

To the point of the pressure, it is pressurelike this that these kids have played their whole life for. They are going into East lansing playing for the same thing they went into Hapy Valley playing for. The B10 championship.

Watching the Coaches Show on ESPNU last nite, at the very end they did a segment on the Hawkeyes, and just before signing off the two panelists were asked for their uspets of the week and of course one of them picked MSU to upset Iowa, with the other picking OK to upset KU. All the games in the country and we are the upset pick again. Last week on another ESPNU show, Jim Donnal picked Wisky to upset Iowa....so maybe it is good luck. We will have to convince these analysts one at a time...you know they will all be picking against us in Columbus.

Watching the Coaches Show on ESPNU last nite, at the very end they did a segment on the Hawkeyes, and just before signing off the two panelists were asked for their uspets of the week and of course one of them picked MSU to upset Iowa, with the other picking OK to upset KU. All the games in the country and we are the upset pick again. Last week on another ESPNU show, Jim Donnal picked Wisky to upset Iowa....so maybe it is good luck. We will have to convince these analysts one at a time...you know they will all be picking against us in Columbus.

Oklahoma beating Kansas is considered an upset? My oh my, how the Big 12 has fallen.

Based on what I have seen, I don't think MSU can beat Penn St. I don't care where they play that one, I just think Penn St is that much better than MSU. At the begining of the year, I thought the two toughest games would be MSU and OSU, I still feel that way. But I don't think MSU makes it to the Rose Bowl even if they beat us.

Based on what I have seen, I don't think MSU can beat Penn St. I don't care where they play that one, I just think Penn St is that much better than MSU. At the begining of the year, I thought the two toughest games would be MSU and OSU, I still feel that way. But I don't think MSU makes it to the Rose Bowl even if they beat us.

So, PSU is so much better than MSU they can beat them in East Lansing,but MSU is still a tougher opponent for Iowa than PSU?

Confused?

I think that every team that Iowa plays from here on out becomes overly dangerous in Hawks fans minds...Wisconsin on the road was gonna be the trip, now MSU on the road is gonna be a trip...look at the players and you know Iowa has this game in the bag

Michigan State has a legit shot at going to the Rose Bowl, even though they sit at 4-3 overall right now.

They have one loss in conference play. Other than Iowa, they play @Minnesota, @ Purdue and home against Penn State.

Of course, they would have to win out in conference. If they did, they would be 7-1 which would be no worse than a tie for the Big Ten title.

In this scenario, Penn State would have at least two losses, so they would be out. Iowa would need to win out to tie Michigan State in the standings, and if they did that, that would mean at least two losses for Ohio State, which would eliminate them from the Rose Bowl. That would leave them in a head to head tie with Iowa, and they would get the Rose Bowl bid having beaten Iowa.

So Michigan State really controls its own destiny here, because I don't think Ohio State gets through the rest of the year without at least one more loss in Big Ten play.

If Michigan State wins out, I think they play in the Rose Bowl..and that has to start with a win over Iowa on Saturday.

I was very hopeful two weeks ago that Michigan would deliver the kill shot on Sparty, to get them out of the mix and get their heads out of the title race...that didn't happen.

So expect Michigan State's best shot on Saturday, as this is their season.

For some reason I have no idea what to expect for this game. As the '02 season kept unwinding, I kept getting more and more confident about the team. Probably because the offense was so good. Since that's not the case this year, I have an uneasy feeling before just about every game.

That being said, I think the Iowa running game maybe gets a little more production this week. But I fully expect a battle for 4 quarters. Why would this game be any different than the last 5?
________
MARIJUANA SEED

Last edited:

Latest posts