Michigan Loss Big Coach of Year

HawkeyeMHA

Whike we had to witness another Dantonio win, I think Captain Kirk may be in the drivers seat for his third Big coach of the year with Harbaugh now at 5-2. If we continue winning.

I would argue that if tOSU can go undefeated and win the B1G again, it really should go to Meyer BUT we all know that will not happen. Considering Kill got it last year, it's very obvious the votes go to the "surprise" coach of the year. That's not a knock on Ferentz at all, I was a huge hater of his but he has proven that you CAN teach old dogs news tricks. Obviously this is all dependent on both teams finishing the season strong.

I would argue that if tOSU can go undefeated and win the B1G again, it really should go to Meyer BUT we all know that will not happen. Considering Kill got it last year, it's very obvious the votes go to the "surprise" coach of the year. That's not a knock on Ferentz at all, I was a huge hater of his but he has proven that you CAN teach old dogs news tricks. Obviously this is all dependent on both teams finishing the season strong.

"....Should go to Meyer". Really? He wins 12 games with a roster of 5 star players and has a average SOS and it should go to Meyer? Lost me on that point. tOSU hasn't even covered the spread this year. They have under performed in most of their games. But you think Meyer should win the COY. Okay.

Whike we had to witness another Dantonio win, I think Captain Kirk may be in the drivers seat for his third Big coach of the year with Harbaugh now at 5-2. If we continue winning.

3rd COTY award? How long you been following the Hawkeyes?

Actually would be his 4th Big Ten coach of the year.. 2002, 2004, 2009, and 2015?

"....Should go to Meyer". Really? He wins 12 games with a roster of 5 star players and has a average SOS and it should go to Meyer? Lost me on that point. tOSU hasn't even covered the spread this year. They have under performed in most of their games. But you think Meyer should win the COY. Okay.

Absolutely. First off, I wouldn't consider covering the spread as a measuring stick of B1G COY. Sure, it makes for great story lines but I doubt is part of the conversation when these decisions are made. IF tOSU is undefeated at the end of the season, Meyer will be 25-0 and poised to make another run at the CFP.

The fact that he has 4 & 5 star recruits? Doesn't that bolster the argument? The coach builds the program and he has success recruiting. Instead for an award where we are recognizing the coach, we penalize him for doing a key coaching function well?

I totally understand it though, the feel good story is usually the person who gets COY. (Jerry Kill (2014) 8-4) Not to mention they were destroyed in their bowl game, which obviously comes after the fact.

Example 2 Bill O'Brien 8-4 coming off of a scandal. Feel good story.
Example 3 Brady Hoke bounces Michigan back (for 1 year) after a 7-6 season under Rich Rod. Feel good story

In recent history, the only coach that has really won the COY award because their team was just flat out good and there were no feel good story lines was Mark Dantonio in 2010 & 2013.

By no means am I saying Ferentz doesn't deserve it. If the Hawks go undefeated, the case is obviously strong, but to just discredit Meyer as someone who has only covered the spread for 1 game, isn't really a strong argument.

Absolutely. First off, I wouldn't consider covering the spread as a measuring stick of B1G COY. Sure, it makes for great story lines but I doubt is part of the conversation when these decisions are made. IF tOSU is undefeated at the end of the season, Meyer will be 25-0 and poised to make another run at the CFP.

The fact that he has 4 & 5 star recruits? Doesn't that bolster the argument? The coach builds the program and he has success recruiting. Instead for an award where we are recognizing the coach, we penalize him for doing a key coaching function well?

I totally understand it though, the feel good story is usually the person who gets COY. (Jerry Kill (2014) 8-4) Not to mention they were destroyed in their bowl game, which obviously comes after the fact.

Example 2 Bill O'Brien 8-4 coming off of a scandal. Feel good story.
Example 3 Brady Hoke bounces Michigan back (for 1 year) after a 7-6 season under Rich Rod. Feel good story

In recent history, the only coach that has really won the COY award because their team was just flat out good and there were no feel good story lines was Mark Dantonio in 2010 & 2013.

By no means am I saying Ferentz doesn't deserve it. If the Hawks go undefeated, the case is obviously strong, but to just discredit Meyer as someone who has only covered the spread for 1 game, isn't really a strong argument.

While many coaches would love to have this "problem", credit also HAS to go to Urban Meyer for how he is managing the QB situation. Like it or not (non-O$U fans), what he is doing is noteworthy and not as easy as it looks.

Latest posts