Michigan game- advice?

batman77

I am headed to Ann Arbor for the game this year. I have never been out there. Does anyone have any advice if you have been there to games in the past? What should I expect? Is it hard getting in and out of there or easy? How is the tailgating ? Any suggestions or advice would be welcomed!

GO HAWKS!

I am headed to Ann Arbor for the game this year. I have never been out there. Does anyone have any advice if you have been there to games in the past? What should I expect? Is it hard getting in and out of there or easy? How is the tailgating ? Any suggestions or advice would be welcomed!

GO HAWKS!

Take your field glasses,unless you have good seats.

I went there a couple a years ago with my father, It was a great experience, even though Iowa lost. Michigan has a beautiful campus, so i would suggest talking a walk around that (plus most of the campus is very close to the stadium, at least a lot closer than Kinnick). That being said, Our experience was pretty comparable to most away games I have experienced in the big ten. For the most part the fans were great, the were a couple of annoying drunk college kids; they kept asking who randy reiner was for some reason? But as we walked around we were invited to tailgate with some mich fans, and we were very grateful. Once we got into the stadium the people we sat next to were awesome, they repeatedly told us how much respect they had for Iowa Football and how Iowa always played them tough and made them EARN their victories. As far as parking goes we didn't really know what we were dong so we paid $25 and parked at a reasonably close house. We arrived at 9am for a 230pm game. I don't recall if they have a lot of food stands outside the stadium (like Iowa) I remember we ate at the tailgate we were invited to. I would very much recommend everyone takes this trip at least once.

The one thing that surprised me was that for all of the lore that goes along with "the big house" I was surprised at how plain it was. I expected a massive amount of awe for a stadium that big, but it just wasnt there. At least for me nothng compared to the horse shoe or kinnick.

I was going to hit up the Big House this year...but yet again fate steps in (was going to do it a few years back and broke an arm the week before we left...) I have a huge family gathering I have to go to now.

I'll be making the trip to Michigan for the first time this year too. There's about 10 of us making the trip and we're bringing all the tailgating gear. Hopefully we can find a good spot to tailgate at. Are there parking lots around the stadium for that?

I'll be making the trip to Michigan for the first time this year too. There's about 10 of us making the trip and we're bringing all the tailgating gear. Hopefully we can find a good spot to tailgate at. Are there parking lots around the stadium for that?

There are but unless your a UM donor you won't be parking in them! :D

I've been up there twice, if you can snag a spot on the golf course across the street that's the place to be. (yes they park cars on the fairway of the UM golf course) That's where we tailgated both times I was up there, but neither of them were our spots just friends we knew that were going to be up there.

The stadium itself, like another poster pointed out is kind of blah, sure it seats a lot of people but it's just a giant hole in the ground, although it will be interesting to see how the new pressbox and club seats look.

The campus is very cool, bar scene blows.

And have to agree that the Michigan fans are really great, at least most of them. Almost everyone we walked by tailgating would wish us good luck or tell us welcome to Ann Arbor, really nice people.

Thanks Hoffa. Any advice on tickets? From what I've heard we would be better off to spend the extra money and get good seats so we're not stuck way up top.

You guys going through their ticket office or Stubhub?

I am also talking with some buddies about heading there this year. The plan was to try to see all the B10 stadiums. Gotta try to get to at least one a year...

1. Call Ticket Solutionsin Kansas City - they are a ticket broker and they always have plenty of seats for this game.

2. Michigan fans are great - always classy. The students are not so good, but that is no surprise.

3. Get to the game early and watch the band play "fanfare" and then the huge block M goes down the field very quickly at 2 beats per second as they play "Hail to the Victors". Nothing better in all of college football and if it doesn't send chills up your spine, you are dead. Then the team takes the field, slapping the "M Club" banner. Pretty impressive and you can feel Bo's presence there. They are very proud fans and a proud university. In my opinion any win over Michigan in football must be cherished by Iowa fans, because it does not happen very often (I think we beat them about 20% of the time).

4. Get ready for a tough game. Iowa is going to go in there highly rated and Michigan will be loaded for bear. I have been there 4 times and have actually seen Iowa win twice!!! The wins in 1990 and 2002 were truly special, but even if Iowa loses you feel good about making the trip because it is truly one of the meccas of college football.

5. The stadium is massive and they have probably the largest flagpole in the world in the north end zone.

Thanks Hoffa. Any advice on tickets? From what I've heard we would be better off to spend the extra money and get good seats so we're not stuck way up top.

Both years we sat in the endzone opposite the student section. The first year we sat in row 40ish, great seats. The last year we were in row 90 something only a few rows from the top.

Both were fine to watch the game but paying a little extra to sit closer wouldn't be a bad idea I just wouldn't go crazy dropping a ton of cash for good/great seats it isn't really worth it in my mind, plus you can save more money for beer.

Latest posts