Men's Schedule Finalized

RobHowe

Administrator
Release from UI:

IOWA CITY, Iowa -- The University of Iowa, in conjunction with the Big Ten Conference, announced its men's basketball Big Ten schedule for the 2018-19 seasonTuesday.

For the first time in league history, the Big Ten schedule consists of 20 games. Of Iowa’s 10 home conference games, eight will be played on a Friday, Saturday, orSunday on Mediacom Court at Carver-Hawkeye Arena.

Iowa's two early Big Ten games are home versus Wisconsin on Friday, Nov. 30, and at Michigan State on Monday, Dec. 3. It will mark the seventh time in nine yearsthat the Hawkeyes will open league play at home under head coach Fran McCaffery.

Iowa’s eight weekend home games, include three on Friday evenings (Wisconsin on Nov. 30; Michigan on Feb. 1; Indiana on Feb. 22), three on Sundays (Nebraska on Jan. 6; Illinois on Jan. 20; Northwestern on Feb. 10), and two on Saturdays (Ohio State on Jan. 12; Rutgers on March 2). The Hawkeyes will play their final two Big Ten games away from home (Wisconsin on March 7; Nebraska on March 10), marking just the second time in nine seasons that Iowa’s regular season finale is on the road.

Iowa will play seven teams twice and six teams once. The Hawkeyes will compete against Indiana, Michigan State, Nebraska, Northwestern, Ohio State, Rutgers, and Wisconsin twice. Iowa will host Illinois, Maryland, and Michigan, and travel to Minnesota, Penn State, and Purdue.

Iowa's two conference “byes” come between games played Sunday, Jan. 27 and Friday, Feb. 1 and Sunday, Feb. 10 and Saturday, Feb. 16.

Overall, Iowa will play 19 home games in 2018-19, which includes an exhibition game Nov. 4 versus Guilford College, before the regular season tips off Nov. 8, against UMKC.

Iowa returns 12 players, including all five starters, from last year's squad. The Hawkeyes will be led by juniors Tyler Cook and Jordan Bohannon. Cook led Iowa in both scoring (15.3) and rebounding (6.8), while Bohannon led the team in assists (178) and 3-pointers (96) and was second in scoring (13.5).

Game times and television information for each game will be announced at a later date.

Iowa has ranked in the top 30 in national attendance each of the past six seasons, including placing in the top 25 five of the last six years.

Fans can request season tickets for the upcoming basketball season at the UI Athletics Ticket Office at Carver-Hawkeye Arena, over the phone at 1-800-IA-HAWKS, or online at hawkeyesports.com/tickets.

2018-19 IOWA MEN’S BASKETBALL SCHEDULE

Date Opponent Site

Sun., Nov. 4 Guliford College (exhibition) IOWA CITY

Thurs., Nov. 8 UMKC # IOWA CITY

Sun., Nov. 11 Green Bay # IOWA CITY

Thurs., Nov. 15 vs. Oregon + New York, N.Y.

Fri., Nov. 16 vs. Connecticut/Syracuse + New York, N.Y.

Wed., Nov. 21 Alabama State IOWA CITY

Tues., Nov. 27 Pitt % IOWA CITY

Fri., Nov. 30 Wisconsin IOWA CITY

Mon., Dec. 3 at Michigan State East Lansing, Mich.

Thurs., Dec. 6 Iowa State * IOWA CITY

Sat., Dec. 15 vs. Northern Iowa ^ Des Moines, Iowa

Tues., Dec. 18 Western Carolina IOWA CITY

Sat., Dec. 22 Savannah State IOWA CITY

Sat., Dec. 29 Bryant IOWA CITY

Thurs., Jan. 3 at Purdue West Lafayette, Ind.

Sun., Jan. 6 Nebraska IOWA CITY

Wed., Jan. 9 at Northwestern Evanston, Ill.

Sat., Jan. 12 Ohio State IOWA CITY

Wed., Jan. 16 at Penn State University Park, Pa.

Sun., Jan. 20 Illinois IOWA CITY

Thurs., Jan. 24 Michigan State IOWA CITY

Sun., Jan. 27 at Minnesota Minneapolis, Minn.

Fri., Feb. 1 Michigan IOWA CITY

Thurs., Feb. 7 at Indiana Bloomington, Ind.

Sun., Feb. 10 Northwestern IOWA CITY

Sat., Feb. 16 at Rutgers Piscataway, N.J.

Tues., Feb. 19 Maryland IOWA CITY

Fri., Feb. 22 Indiana IOWA CITY

Tues., Feb. 26 at Ohio State Columbus, Ohio

Sat., March 2 Rutgers IOWA CITY

Thurs., March 7 at Wisconsin Madison, Wis.

Sun., March 10 at Nebraska Lincoln, Neb.

Wed.-Sun., Mar. 13-17 at Big Ten Tournament Chicago

Tues.-Wed., Mar. 19-20 at First Four Dayton, Ohio

Thurs.-Sun., Mar. 21-24 at NCAA Tournament, First/Second Rounds

Thurs.-Sun., Mar. 28-31 at NCAA Tournament Regional Finals

Sat.-Mon., Apr. 6-8 at NCAA Final Four Minneapolis, Minn.

Note: All times listed are central time

^ - - Hy-Vee Classic in Des Moines, Iowa # - - 2K Classic benefiting Wounded Warrior Project Preliminary Game

* - - Iowa Corn Cy-Hawk Series % - - ACC/Big Ten Challenge

+ - - 2K Classic benefiting Wounded Warrior Project

Yikes. Schedule appears pretty rough. I would think we will have to go at least 7-3 at home in the B1G to make the dance.

Maybe Fran knew there'd be these two early B1G games in the midst of the non-con season so it makes more sense now that he and Barta and would schedule such a weak non-con sched.

Yikes. Schedule appears pretty rough. I would think we will have to go at least 7-3 at home in the B1G to make the dance.

Really? I really like the way this sets up - only 1 back to back road game all year and that's the last weekend at Wisci and Nebraska? Doesn't seem like we'e had that kind of balance in years past, maybe I am wrong.

Really? I really like the way this sets up - only 1 back to back road game all year and that's the last weekend at Wisci and Nebraska? Doesn't seem like we'e had that kind of balance in years past, maybe I am wrong.
I guess I wasn’t looking at it from a balance perspective so that’s a fair point.

We will likely be underdogs in all but one of our B1G road games (@Rutgers). Say we can somehow find a way to go 4-6 on the road which is probably a stretch. Then if you can get to 7-3 at home you’re at 11-9 in conference and have a shot at the dance.

Honestly I think 13-7 is probably our absolute ceiling. So I said yikes because while I was hoping we would be a tournament lock, it looks to me like our ceiling is probably NCAA bubble.

W/L time! I like to organize them by groups.

Very high probability wins (7-0):

6 NonCon layups, Pitt.

Likely Wins (5-1):

Rutgers, Illinois, Minnesota, NW, (UConn if Iowa plays them in game 2), UNI

Toss Ups (7-7):

Oregon, ISU, Wiscy, @NW, @PSU, @Minn, Mich, Neb, OSU, MSU, @Rutgers, Maryland, Indiana, BTT game 1

Likely Losses (1-4):

@Purdue, @IU, @OSU, @Neb, @Wiscy

Very high probability losses (0-1):

@MSU

I've got 20 wins, probably right on the bubble.

W/L time! I like to organize them by groups.

Very high probability wins (7-0):

6 NonCon layups, Pitt.

Likely Wins (5-1):

Rutgers, Illinois, Minnesota, NW, (UConn if Iowa plays them in game 2), UNI

Toss Ups (7-7):

Oregon, ISU, Wiscy, @NW, @PSU, @Minn, Mich, Neb, OSU, MSU, @Rutgers, Maryland, Indiana, BTT game 1

Likely Losses (1-4):

@Purdue, @IU, @OSU, @Neb, @Wiscy

Very high probability losses (0-1):

@MSU

I've got 20 wins, probably right on the bubble.
That looks like an NIT birth.

Most of your predictions I agree with. I'd have Oregon, @ Min and MSU as losses instead of tossup and I think we'll lose to either ISU or Wisconsin at home especially playing them back to back, so I'm going 16-15 record. A couple hiccups in there and it's a repeat of last year's record though and below .500.

I was correct in my prediciton last year of being below average, but I was wrong the year before when we ended up at least NIT, so it's a total roll of the dice at this point. At least there wasn't a European trip to give fans a way too optimistic view going into the year.

that early december stretch of Wisconsin, at Sparty, and Iowa State is pretty rough.

At quick glance I think their Big Ten record ends up right in the 9-11, 11-9 wheelhouse. Right around 20 wins overall. 9 win big ten = NIT, 11 win big ten = NCAA crap seed.

that early december stretch of Wisconsin, at Sparty, and Iowa State is pretty rough.

At quick glance I think their Big Ten record ends up right in the 9-11, 11-9 wheelhouse. Right around 20 wins overall. 9 win big ten = NIT, 11 win big ten = NCAA crap seed.

That 5 game stretch from 11/27-12/15 could really define if Iowa is a tourney, bubble or NIT team. That is a really tough stretch for the early part of a season.

That 5 game stretch from 11/27-12/15 could really define if Iowa is a tourney, bubble or NIT team. That is a really tough stretch for the early part of a season.

Pitt should be garbage, but I guess you never know. Last year they lost at home to Penn State by 31 points in the ACC/B1G challenge. They didn't win a single conference game last year and the game is also in Iowa City. If Iowa loses that game we're in big trouble

Pitt should be garbage, but I guess you never know. Last year they lost at home to Penn State by 31 points in the ACC/B1G challenge. They didn't win a single conference game last year and the game is also in Iowa City. If Iowa loses that game we're in big trouble

Agreed, if Iowa loses to Pitt at home it probably tells you everything you need to know.

This place will definitely be a hot mess.

giphy.gif

We lost no one. We added 3 players...counting CM. And the rest of the guys are a year older, more mature, etc. And several other Big 10 teams lost a lot. Looking at the schedule I have them at 24-7 and 15-5.