Melsahn, "We need to talk."

1hawkeye1

Remember that girl you really liked? One day she stopped showing interest. She had that "whatever" attitude. Whenever you were together, her mind was somewhere else.
Mel, is there something you want to say to us?:(

images

fwiw I drive past CHA on my way to work in the morning and I have on several occasions seen Melsahn leaving CHA looking pretty glum. He's the only player I've seen doing this. Make what you will of that.

For some reason Fran is afraid to bench him to start the game. He would not be starting on most teams with his lackluster effort. I think its a thing that he is not the center of the Hawkeye BB world right now and he is being showed up by McCabe and White in a big way. There is no way I would start him the next game and maybe not even play him. You have to figuratively slap him in the face to get his attention. He is totally lost right now.

I'd be upset if I never got to touch the ball. No one on the team looks to feed the post. Idk how you can expect Mel to average 13 and 8 soley off of o-boards. That's not the whole problem, but I am willing to bet it is a big part of it.

I'd be upset if I never got to touch the ball. No one on the team looks to feed the post. Idk how you can expect Mel to average 13 and 8 soley off of o-boards. That's not the whole problem, but I am willing to bet it is a big part of it.

What does Mel do once he gets the ball in the post that would warrant looking for him?

Limited face-up game, limited back to the basket game, not a good passer out of the post. He didnt have much of a problem getting the offensive rebounds and garbage points last year. He is hardly even trying this year.

He could also get more points by getting out and running the break but he is either usually on the bench because of foul trouble or on the bench because he isnt trying.

Mel isnt even calling for the ball...and hes not a great back to basket player anyways. As fran said, hes an energy guy with no energy

Something is up with him. You just don't vanish like he does after last season. This isn't a soph slump, it's a serious problem and it's hurting Iowa.

Mel owes no one on this board an explanation about anything.

Very true. I mentioned after the Minnesota game a specific point (around the 5:00 mark of the 2nd half maybe) in that game where Gatens nailed a clutch jumper and Mel was easily the most visibly excited player on the bench.

Rather than imputing to him all these emotional/attitude problems, let's just see where he goes from here. If you watch him, he looks very uncomfortable making post moves, and he's not that big for a post guy in the Big Ten. It's easy to look disinterested if you're having trouble finding your spot on the court and you're out of the flow. If he can learn post moves half as good as McCabe's by the time he's done here, he'll look like a totally different player.

Fran tried to make him a pf or even center. That's why Fran wanted Mel to add all the weight.

When Mel decided to drop the weight, in essense Mel was saying: I won't/ can't be a pf or center for this team. IMO, Fran thinks Mel has let him and the Iowa team down.

IMO, Fran is the only reason why Mel is so far from the East Coast and Mel is in Fran's doghouse.

Latest posts