McCarney, Snyder have mutual respect

HawkeyeHypnosis

Football: Mutual respect | Denton UNT Sports News - News for Denton, Texas - The Denton Record-Chronicle - Denton Record-Chronicle

Good read. Opening of article:

Dan McCarney spent the early stages of his coaching career hunkered down behind his defensive line, matching wits with a wily veteran across the practice fields at Iowa.

Legendary head coach Hayden Fry watched those battles up close to see if his young defensive assistant could hold his own.

That wasn’t as easy for McCarney as it sounds, not with Bill Snyder, then the Hawkeyes’ offensive coordinator, trying to counter his every move for a decade.

More than 30 years after they started grinding it out on a dirt patch in Iowa in 1979, McCarney and Snyder will be at it again, this time as head coaches when North Texas visits Kansas State on Saturday at Bill Snyder Family Stadium.

“I will always cherish the time I spent with Bill Snyder,â€￾ McCarney said. “Every day in practice, he was on offense and I was on defense. We were going head to head working against each other. He didn’t want to get beat on offense. I didn’t want to get beat on defense. We were working in the trenches together.â€￾

Latest posts