McCaffery style

HawksDoc

I appreciate his honest and frankness regarding his players, himself and the
BB program. Many of us would love to see a little of that from our football coach.

I think this is a natural progression in both programs.

KF was more open and honest early on at Iowa.
It is the old adage, when you have more to conserve, you become more conservative.
Both KF and Fran came into the programs at low points.
Both come out with a transparent, nothing to lose attitude.
KF became successful,and then he started to close it down more,as expectations rose. Only natural. When you are trending up, everybody loves ya...then you reach a level of success, everyone wants to keep trending up and it gets tougher to let everyone in when they are shooting at you.

One thing about Fran is that his Irish-gift of gab,salesman personality is perfect for todays college bb coach. Nick Saban runs a Kremlin in Bama. Thad Matta is lifting weights with his recruits.

Fran has learned well from his sports columnist brother Jack on how to handle the media. He sends messages to his team '' we are not tough enough'' ...KF would never do that. Again, fans used to hate when SA would criticize performance of his players in postgame comments,but Fran does it and he is a wonderful communicator.

I love reading Frans Q & A's...but I know that if he does not win to our expectations, eventually, his same answers will draw fire from fans that are now praising him.
Me? I like honesty in my coaches, SA or Fran,as long as it is fair criticism of players.

I did not like it when Lick was critical of Aaron Fuller in a postgame for not being strong enough to play power forward...not fair,imo.

It is the old adage, when you have more to conserve, you become more conservative.
KF became successful,and then he started to close it down more,as expectations rose. Only natural. When you are trending up, everybody loves ya...then you reach a level of success, everyone wants to keep trending up and it gets tougher to let everyone in when they are shooting at you.

One thing about Fran is that his Irish-gift of gab,salesman personality is perfect for todays college bb coach. Nick Saban runs a Kremlin in Bama. Thad Matta is lifting weights with his recruits.

Fran has learned well from his sports columnist brother Jack on how to handle the media. He sends messages to his team '' we are not tough enough'' ...KF would never do that. Again, fans used to hate when SA would criticize performance of his players in postgame comments,but Fran does it and he is a wonderful communicator.

I love reading Frans Q & A's...but I know that if he does not win to our expectations, eventually, his same answers will draw fire from fans that are now praising him.
Me? I like honesty in my coaches, SA or Fran,as long as it is fair criticism of players.

I did not like it when Lick was critical of Aaron Fuller in a postgame for not being strong enough to play power forward...not fair,imo.

I think the difference with Fran's criticism of players is that he will almost always say "it is on us as a staff to figure out why this is happening and correct it" or something similar.

Perfectly stated. Fran never puts his players under the bus. He always includes "I" and "we".

Fran has learned well from his sports columnist brother Jack on how to handle the media. He sends messages to his team '' we are not tough enough'' ...KF would never do that.

I disagree with this statement. The rest is spot on. There have been many instances in which KF has made general critical comments about his team. "We're not good enough to have penalties/turnovers/lapses in judgement/etc." "We're not strong enough up front."

Fran has learned well from his sports columnist brother Jack on how to handle the media. He sends messages to his team '' we are not tough enough'' ...KF would never do that.

I disagree with this statement. The rest is spot on. There have been many instances in which KF has made general critical comments about his team. "We're not good enough to have penalties/turnovers/lapses in judgement/etc." "We're not strong enough up front."

Don't forget the famous "fat cats" quote.

I think the difference with Fran's criticism of players is that he will almost always say "it is on us as a staff to figure out why this is happening and correct it" or something similar.

This. He nearly always takes on ultimate responsibility for issues with the team. And he gave all the credit to the players regarding inbounds plays, saying the coaches give the team the formation, but the actual plays actually allowed for a little improvisation, for the players to be more intuitive. That's not something Alford would say.

HN is no place for a logical well stated response like this.

Latest posts