McCaffery coming up on KXNO at 7:05

Didn't see this until well after he was on and didn't catch it online. Will listen to the podcast. In short, what'd he say?

- visitor tonight that he hopes signs with us. the context made it sound like a guard.

- very happy about the staff and the walk-ons

-had some opportunities to sign a big but decided against it because it would preclude them from signing someone better in '11 or '12

-francis is a "recruiting barracuda"

This was an awesome interview, i am pumped up! He sold it but also was very realistic of how the process is going, the staff and the outlook!! GO Hawks!

will also be podcast later this morning
I am so impressed that Coach McCaffery has brought to his staff two Hawkeyes from the "Glory Years" of Iowa basketball. You have to be a confident and motivated coach to do that. Coach Speraw played at Iowa, and was a grad assistant on Iowa's last Final Four team with Iowa legends Ronnie Lester and Bobby Hansen, and Ryan Bowen came to Iowa at about the same time as Ricky Davis, but without the accolades. It's great to see the "Pride" in Iowa basketball shine through in these guys. Bowen is a role model to all of those underrated guys who have to do the little things on the floor in order to get playing time and help the team win. I would guess that Bowen is close to Iowa's all-time leader in plays that require effort, grit, and toughness. Bowen had so many deflections, floor burns, tipped balls, and effort plays. He set solid screens for Andre Woolridge, enabling Woolridge to turn the corner and get to the goal on Mr. Davis's double-high post, end of shot-clock, pick and roll play. Bowen kept many offensive possessions alive by hustling to the boards and tipping the ball, and he was the ultimate team player. Coach Speraw and Coach Bowen will both be absolutely motivated to help get Iowa basketball back to its winning ways. Finally, it says a lot about Coach Speraw, that he wants to be an assistant at Iowa, when he has the credentials to be a head coach elsewhere. I would guess that while he has been a successful coach for many years, that he has probably always kept a close eye on the Iowa program. Bowen and Speraw are Hawkeyes, and it nice to see Hawkeyes from the "Glory Years" of Iowa Basketball on the bench helping Coach McCaffery bring this program back.

Last edited:
I am so impressed that Coach McCaffery has brought to his staff two Hawkeyes from the "Glory Years" of Iowa basketball. You have to be a confident and motivated coach to do that. Coach Speraw played on Iowa's last Final Four team with Iowa legends Ronnie Lester and Bobby Hansen, and Ryan Bowen came to Iowa at about the same time as Ricky Davis, but without the accolades. It's great to see the "Pride" in Iowa basketball shine through in these guys. Bowen is a role model to all of those underrated guys who have to do the little things on the floor in order to get playing time and help the team win. I would guess that Bowen is close to Iowa's all-time leader in plays that require effort, grit, and toughness. Bowen had so many deflections, floor burns, tipped balls, and effort plays. He set solid screens for Andre Woolridge, enabling Woolridge to turn the corner and get to the goal on Mr. Davis's double-high post, end of shot-clock, pick and roll play. Bowen kept many offensive possessions alive by hustling to the boards and tipping the ball. Bowen was the ultimate team player. Coach Speraw and Coach Bowen will both be absolutely motivated to help get Iowa basketball back to its winning ways. Finally, it says a lot about Coach Speraw, that he wants to be an assistant at Iowa, when he has the credentials to be a head coach elsewhere. I would guess that while he has been a successful coach for many years, that he has probably always kept a close eye on the Iowa program. Bowen and Speraw are Hawkeyes, and it nice to see Hawkeyes from the "Glory Years" of Iowa Basketball on the bench helping Coach McCaffery bring this program back.

Speraw was a Grad Assistant on the 1980 final four team.

Jon-- can you answer this for me?

I'm glad you discussed the interview (Rome-eske) after it was over. After coming back from the commercial break, why not discuss Hawkeye basketball for the rest of the show? Instead, it's Michigan football? I don't understand this. I understand Deace could give two craps about Iowa basketball, but the listeners don't care about the Wolverines. (I turned off the radio for the last 10 minutes, so I'm sorry if the topic changed)
If it was Hoilberg being interviewed, Deace would be talking about how he has the uppper hand in the recruiting battle and how beloved within the state.
Don't you guys have the rest of the month of June and July to discuss how good/bad Michigan is going to be?

+1 Troy...Hope that Fran & company can get our team to play like those Bowen teams in the 90's...

Bowen's coach (one of them, name escapes me right now) came to McCaffery about signing him as a coach, and insisted that he do so. This NBA coach called Bowen THE most professional player he ever coached. Jeff Van Gundy, perhaps??

Speraw was a Grad Assistant on the 1980 final four team.

Thanks. Sorry, was he a 1979 grad with the Big Ten Champs that lost to Toledo in the NCAA's? Don't think I ever saw him play while he was on the team. I'll edit. I like Speraw's motivation to be a part of the program again.

Last edited:
come on hawkeyenation board, somebody got to be able figure out who this recruit is. Do your freakin job message boarders!!!! I want to know. :)

Jon-- can you answer this for me?

I'm glad you discussed the interview (Rome-eske) after it was over. After coming back from the commercial break, why not discuss Hawkeye basketball for the rest of the show? Instead, it's Michigan football? I don't understand this. I understand Deace could give two craps about Iowa basketball, but the listeners don't care about the Wolverines. (I turned off the radio for the last 10 minutes, so I'm sorry if the topic changed)
If it was Hoilberg being interviewed, Deace would be talking about how he has the uppper hand in the recruiting battle and how beloved within the state.
Don't you guys have the rest of the month of June and July to discuss how good/bad Michigan is going to be?

I was coming back to talk college football, re: magazines that were out, and Deace said he was not buying TSN because they rated Michigan low. I didn't have 'Talk Michigan FB' on my list of topics.

As for coming back to talk Iowa hoops, not sure what else there is to talk about right now that I didn't cover with Fran, and wrap up by myself before the end of that segment, which is why I did it then because I knew it didn't have enough gravitas for its own separate segment.

I was coming back to talk college football, re: magazines that were out, and Deace said he was not buying TSN because they rated Michigan low. I didn't have 'Talk Michigan FB' on my list of topics.

As for coming back to talk Iowa hoops, not sure what else there is to talk about right now that I didn't cover with Fran, and wrap up by myself before the end of that segment, which is why I did it then because I knew it didn't have enough gravitas for its own separate segment.

Jon, you can talk about whatever you want to on your show. I am glad to hear local sports talk on the radio. If I were living back in eastern Iowa, I would probably be listening to music in the am.

Jon, you can talk about whatever you want to on your show. I am glad to hear local sports talk on the radio. If I were living back in eastern Iowa, I would probably be listening to music in the am.

LOL...I don't think Jon needs you to stick up for him.

I enjoy listening to the shows college football topics. I'm not trying to tell Jon what to talk/not talk about..it's their show.
I would've enjoyed listening to Jon's opinion about the new players coming into the program. (Basabee and the three walk-ons)
I'm just pumped about Iowa basketball again, and if the opportunity is there to listen to Jon (and even Deace to a point) talk about it, I will and want to listen. Talking about where The Sporting News has Michigan ranked is not real revelant to me and I'm more likely to not pay attention.

That's just one listeners opinion, no one has to like it.

unfortunately, listening to the show means you have to deal with deace turning everything into a discussion about michigan or how bad he had it growing up.

talk shows that last are based around the personalities that drive them..everyone does things a different way, but people form a bond with the hosts...not always saying that is a good or positive thing, it just happens. People invest time in them, and feel like they even know them. Some talk show hosts will talk about their lives from time to time. It breaks up the monotony. Shows that don't do that don't have much color or personality to them, and they won't last; not in this state.

There are things we are paid to say at times, such as product endorsements. Taking shots at a guy for doing his job, well, that's more a you thing than anything else ;)

Latest posts