maybe it is on the players.

lightning1

A lot was made about how Lavert and Stauskas stayed in AA in the off season and worked on getting stronger, better. Id say it worked out pretty well for them. Maybe our players arent as committed as other teams?

A lot was made about how Lavert and Stauskas stayed in AA in the off season and worked on getting stronger, better. Id say it worked out pretty well for them. Maybe our players arent as committed as other teams?

While they were doing that White and Bassabe were trying to make Team USA, the entire team took on professional teams in Europe, and many of them (if not all) were working out and getting stronger.

While they were doing that White and Bassabe were trying to make Team USA, the entire team took on professional teams in Europe, and many of them (if not all) were working out and getting stronger.

Yup, this.

No.

It's mental at this point. This team doubts themselves, and it's obvious.

False, Basabe spent the summer back in New York working for a pharmacy and playing in a summer league on the East Coast.

All I can say is the before and after pictures of Lavert and Stauskas were noticeable. So is their play on the court. I dont look at anyone on our roster and see that kind of physical improvement.

No.

It's mental at this point. This team doubts themselves, and it's obvious.

This slump is like a snow ball rolling down hill. It's just going to gain size and momentum until something big enough to stop it comes along.

All I can say is the before and after pictures of Lavert and Stauskas were noticeable. So is their play on the court. I dont look at anyone on our roster and see that kind of physical improvement.

Michigan is also the only team I saw all year where they showed pictures of players with their shirts off to show how hard they worked and how much they improved. That tells me that what they did is rare, otherwise they wouldn't have made a big deal of it. I'm not going to say that the reason we are struggling is because we didn't work to improve as much as 2 of the most improved players in the nation. Obviously no one else did either.

All that said, I wish it was 2 of our players that improved that much instead of 2 of theirs.

Speraw said something interesting in the teleconference. He basically said the past 3 weeks have all been game prep and little working on things fundamentally that need work. When things start going south, you need to get in the gym and correct things, whether it's sitting down of defense, working on rotations, etc.........Iowa hasnt had that luxury during this stretch. Hes not making excuses, but it's a valid reason why they have fallen, especially on the defensive end. Throw in fatigue as well and you have a real recipe for disaster.

This is not on the players.

No? They aren't the ones playing? They aren't the ones missing free throws and committing stupid fouls?

You won't hear me blame it all on the coaches or all on the players because in a situation like this usually the blame falls a little bit on everyone. Coaches overcompensate, and players lose confidence. It's a slippery slope, and it's going to take a great outing in order for them to get their mojo back. I hope they have it in them because we all know what this team can look like when it's firing on all cylinders.

No? They aren't the ones playing? They aren't the ones missing free throws and committing stupid fouls?

You won't hear me blame it all on the coaches or all on the players because in a situation like this usually the blame falls a little bit on everyone. Coaches overcompensate, and players lose confidence. It's a slippery slope, and it's going to take a great outing in order for them to get their mojo back. I hope they have it in them because we all know what this team can look like when it's firing on all cylinders.

The way I read the OP thread title he is blaming the players. My response This is not on the players. What you said in Bold is pretty spot on to what I think as well. Combination of both.

Words to live by:

Practice Makes Permanent, Not Perfect.

This team is playing exactly the way they are taught in practice. Every team plays like it practices over time. This team crumbles during crunch time because this team lacks leadership both on the floor and on the bench.

No the coach isn't shooting the FTs and no the coaches are defending the ball or boxing out but they are playing how they are taught.

Why the F we remain in a 2-3 zone when we are clearly longer than almost any team on the floor but lack quickness to box out while in a zone. Get out of the zone. Stretch the defense. Let your 7' center or the sultan of swat patrol the middle and force teams to shoot contested 3s.

GET OUT OF THE ZONE! The players aren't deciding on the fly if they are going to play the zone, that is coming from the bench.

A manager I once worked for always told me that "We succeed as a team, and we fail as a team". Meaning both managers and employees. I feel the same here.. I don't believe this is 100% on the players or 100% on the coaches.. It's a group effort with plenty of blame to go around IMO.

Words to live by:

This team is playing exactly the way they are taught in practice. Every team plays like it practices over time. This team crumbles during crunch time because this team lacks leadership both on the floor and on the bench.

No the coach isn't shooting the FTs and no the coaches are defending the ball or boxing out but they are playing how they are taught.

Why the F we remain in a 2-3 zone when we are clearly longer than almost any team on the floor but lack quickness to box out while in a zone. Get out of the zone. Stretch the defense. Let your 7' center or the sultan of swat patrol the middle and force teams to shoot contested 3s.

GET OUT OF THE ZONE! The players aren't deciding on the fly if they are going to play the zone, that is coming from the bench.

From a couple of comments I have heard Fran make, it sounds like more zone because in man we were not stopping the dribble drive. One of his comments was, after the IL game (radio), "We were not able to stop the dribble drive, even when we were in zone...that is not acceptable." But, at this point, Hawkeye...who knows what we should do.

Words to live by:

Words to live by: what's good for the goose is good for the gander. :)

Playing zone if fine as long as you have the proper fundamentals with it. It is like any other defense, you have to have the fundamentals. Of course, certain defenses can suit other teams better than others. I think we can play both, but we have to extend it out a bit. We need to get our hands up and communicate.

Personally, I would like to see more tight man to man in your jersey style defense with mixing in the zone.

Latest posts