Matt Gatens #5

God bless you #5. Pure class. Very professional. A tremendous basketball player that will be missed but not forgotten.

Before I go into my inevitable complaining after the hawks loss today. Congrats to all the seniors and thanks to MG for sticking out all the tough years.

Great a picture of Street in the old sweet I shirt. Tryn to make a grown man cry!

Can't wait till we get ripped for saying no. And trust me I love the Swamp Man

I'm a Gater fan too...but holy crap, that's an exclusive list! He's an all-time great Hawkeye, but he's not a retired jersey guy...and I would hope there'd be no ripping in this particular thread anyway.

By the way, I'm with you on that one...when I got to Street's pic and bio I got that "lump in my throat" feeling.

There should be a couple reasons why you would put a jersey in the rafters. First the traditional way winning games, conference and final 4s. Also being a statistical leader.

I believe Gatens could be the most important player that IA has had in 20 years. He may have recorded more losses than any player in modern times at IA. In all reality Gatens could have left but he stayed when there was little to cheer for. Gatens helped bring in the recruits for the the next year got IA back to competitive and soon back to the NCAA. This is why his jersey should be in the rafters

That list of retired jerseys is an indication of why you need a clear set of criteria for choosing to retire jerseys. Some guy who scored 6 Pts a game, but no Marble, Woolridge, or Acie?

A good starting rule is something like UCLA's three time All-American rule.

Of course Iowa couldn't do that, but a three time all-B1G and one time all-American rule would be a start. Basically, you need something to help guard against the emotion of the moment (except of course in the situation of the death of an active player, but that isn't about basketball as much as memorializing). Criteria needs to be of a historic nature to overcome the natural bias we have toward the present, or other potential biases.

That list of retired jerseys is an indication of why you need a clear set of criteria for choosing to retire jerseys. Some guy who scored 6 Pts a game, but no Marble, Woolridge, or Acie?

Of course Iowa couldn't do that, but a three time all-B1G and one time all-American rule would be a start. Basically, you need something to help guard against the emotion of the moment (except of course in the situation of the death of an active player, but that isn't about basketball as much as memorializing). Criteria needs to be of a historic nature to overcome the natural bias we have toward the present, or other potential biases.

so you're saying they should just retire aaron white's # now?

:D

I believe Gatens could be the most important player that IA has had in 20 years. He may have recorded more losses than any player in modern times at IA. In all reality Gatens could have left but he stayed when there was little to cheer for. Gatens helped bring in the recruits for the the next year got IA back to competitive and soon back to the NCAA. This is why his jersey should be in the rafters

Nope.

is his resume not pretty close to a few of those guys or am I way off base?

The resume is close statistically, but so are a LOT of guys...heck, Bill Schoof had his number retired and only averaged about 6 points per game. But he had winning on his side and 2 Final 4 appearances. Maybe, down the line, when time has a better chance to mark what Matt meant to the program in its re-birth, he'll get his number 5 up there...but shotgun reaction, as of right now...I'd say no.

Another thing Iowa could try...retiring jerseys without retiring numbers. Saving numbers for All-Americans/Final 4 heroes, etc...but that would create a pecking order and they probably wouldn't want to do that.

Latest posts