Mailbag Podcast

tksirius

HN's Love Doctor
1. I didn't get a warm fuzzy feeling that next bb season will be much different than this season.
2. This is Fran's 8th season at Iowa, not his 7th.
3. Does Deace really watch Iowa basketball?
4. Not sure how someone could think an OC had a "good" year when it finished 116th for total offense in the country.

Last edited:
1. I didn't get a warm fuzzy feeling that next bb season will be much different than this season.
2. This is Fran's 8th season at Iowa, not his 7th.
3. Does Deace really watch Iowa basketball?
4. Not sure how someone could think an OC had a "good" year when it finished 116th for total offense in the country.

As it relates to #4, the context it was given in, if I remember right, was "we laid a 50 burger on OSU and Nebby, we beat our instate rival, we won 8 games and a bowl game....all with a new starter at QB" as the definition of a "good year" for him....in relation to GD's first year of 4-8 with the worst offense in school history.....

As it relates to #4, the context it was given in, if I remember right, was "we laid a 50 burger on OSU and Nebby, we beat our instate rival, we won 8 games and a bowl game....all with a new starter at QB" as the definition of a "good year" for him....in relation to GD's first year of 4-8 with the worst offense in school history.....
So, it wasn't a good year, it was just better than the worst offense in school history.

I love Deace. He's frequently a realistic counter to Jon's apologist attitude about Iowa sports. Jon tends to take a "we can't expect better" stance and Deace frequently brings a different view.

Next season will be 5 to 7 games better, IMO. It won't get us to the tournament, however. I don't think this roster is athletic enough or defense minded enough to win a BIG title, or make a deep run in the NCAAs. Regardless if they stick around through their SR years.

There's no way Deace watches Iowa basketball unless they're playing Michigan. Zero chance

Brian Ferentz had a roller coaster year. The outpouring of offense during the Ohio State, Illinois, and Nebraska games don't just automatically offset the Michigan State, Northwestern, Penn State, Wisconsin, Minnesota and Purdue games where the offense was garbage and the play-calling was even worse. Iowa could have easily gone 10-2 or 11-1 if the offense did anything in those games. We can only hope BF is aware of that fact.

There's no way Deace watches Iowa basketball unless they're playing Michigan. Zero chance

Brian Ferentz had a roller coaster year. The outpouring of offense during the Ohio State, Illinois, and Nebraska games don't just automatically offset the Michigan State, Northwestern, Penn State, Wisconsin, Minnesota and Purdue games where the offense was garbage and the play-calling was even worse. Iowa could have easily gone 10-2 or 11-1 if the offense did anything in those games. We can only hope BF is aware of that fact.

Yep. That’s the difference between Iowa and Wisconsin. If Iowa could get their offense consistently; at minimum, in the 70’s and 80’s it would make a world of difference.

I don’t blame Deace for not watching Iowa basketball this year. It is the same shit over and over again. Go online, get a quick synopsis of what happened and ad lib the rest. Life is short, why waste your time, when you are not a fan if you don’t have to.

I don't get his stance on Bohannon already being a negative player because he can't guard point guards. If he was saying he shouldn't even be on the court because he can't defend anyone, then I could at least understand the arguement. But he is clearly saying he should play shooting guard because he can't guard point guards. He is usually way more thought out in his arguments than that. Anyone who knows anything knows it's legal to have a kid play point guard on offense and guard the opponents shooting guard on defense.

Also his stance on having Bohannon wide open on 3s when they double down on Cook was bad. What coach in the world would be ok with having Bohannon's man leave him to double?