MacKeeper pop-up

99topdawg

Has anyone else had a problem on this site with a “MacKeeperâ€￾ pop-up? It takes over most of my screen and makes me close out of HN. This is the only site I get this pop-up, but I get it about 1 out of 3 times I go to a HN page.

Here it is. It takes up about half of my screen and the rest of the screen goes to a dark gray.

Screen_shot_2011-05-20_at_2.11.01_PM_720.png

Thanks, opening this thread just caused it to pop up for me. I will look into it and see which one of our ad providers is distributing this, and get rid of it. I have not authorized any pop ups for this site

Thanks, opening this thread just caused it to pop up for me. I will look into it and see which one of our ad providers is distributing this, and get rid of it. I have not authorized any pop ups for this site

Thank you very much!!!

This goes by another name too (I think) called MacDefender. Believe me, it DID NOT come from this site. What you're seeing is harmless unless you gave them your CC number. It's easy to rid yourself of. I'm guessing you have a Mac, correct? If you need instructions let me know.

Edit:
To make sure I'm not out of line- Have you previously been aware of a program on your (guessing) mac called MacKeeper?

If no and you're on a Mac, what do you see if in your 'Download' folder using your viewer?

If you login as a different user on your Mac and visit this site, what happens?

If you're not on a Mac I apologize for my posts.

Last edited:
This goes by another name too (I think) called MacDefender. Believe me, it DID NOT come from this site. What you're seeing is harmless unless you gave them your CC number. It's easy to rid yourself of. I'm guessing you have a Mac, correct? If you need instructions let me know.

Edit:
To make sure I'm not out of line- Have you previously been aware of a program on your (guessing) mac called MacKeeper?

If no and you're on a Mac, what do you see if in your 'Download' folder using your viewer?

If you login as a different user on your Mac and visit this site, what happens?

If you're not on a Mac I apologize for my posts.

Thanks for you help! I am on a Mac, but I don't have anything named MacKeeper or anything like it in my downloads folder, library, applications, etc, all places I was told it might be when I was searching online. I was told it could be hosted by a website ad, which is why I posted here. I've been to a couple hundred websites today, and this is the only one that causes it to pop-up. I got it as recently as a couple of minutes ago, but it is certainly not popping up like it was earlier this afternoon. If it is something that is on my computer, I may not be able to get rid of it anyway, as it is a work computer and I don't have access to all of the files, etc. Thanks for your help! Much appreciated!

By the way, I didn't give them my credit card number.:)

I used my daughter's apple 10 min. ago on this forum and got this pop up. I do not get this with my Compaq. I have been getting the WHOOPS page with my Compaq.

I keep getting it. It cannot be closed. Very annoying to have to quit the browser and return to the site, only to have it happen 5 minutes later.

MacKeeper is actually the name of a program that scans macs and detects things like Malware. Here is a link to a review, and you can see others online. 'MacDefender' is a malware bug going around.

Just now, there was a MacKeeper ad in the slot immediately above the forums, which is a Yardbarker ad slot. I have contacted them about this expanding ad that some have noticed, as I have too...

I just narrowed down which company is delivering the ad and have contacted them to remove it. Thanks for your patience.

Found it, and nixed it. It was the highest paying ad we had available to us, but I dont like those either

Yes, the MacKeeper ad from last week was NOT a malware issue. It was just an aggressive layer ad that I dont want on the site.

Latest posts