Luka Garza's March to Become Iowa's All-Time Leading Scorer

SAM WILLIAMS, 1967-68 (25.3 ppg)

The 6-3 Williams had many big-game moments during a 16-9 season. He scored 256 points in an upset of No. 4 Tennessee. He scored 33 points as Iowa snapped Michigan State’s 25-game home-floor winning streak. He also became the Hawkeyes’ single-season scoring leader with a 34-point game at Minnesota.
Damn, wish I could have seen this game from Sam Williams, that can't hurt the ole average eh? ;)

If there were a stat for most points per minute played in a season, I bet Garza is tops in Hawkeye history and close to the top every anywhere.

You gotta enjoy every minute of it as we may not see the likes of Garza ever again at the center position in an Iowa uniform. :)

Another great thing about Garza is he didn't come in as a hyped up 5 star recruit and this all came about from self motivation and determination that is likely never to be matched. Yes we need to soak it in.

Sam Williams was as good as any player I have ever watched at Iowa. And I go back to the Ralph Miller days. At 6’3”, he could dominate inside or outside and was incredibly consistent as a defensive rebounder. Could play far above the rim. He would be first team all Big Ten in 2021.

Latest posts