Luka Garza, Joe Wieskamp Invited to NBA Draft Combine

Does anybody remember Kevin Huerter at Maryland? Did anyone think this kid was a pro? Yes, I am guilty of doing the white guy comparison thing, but his path to the league wouldn't be that different from JW's if JW happens to stick.

This is what I was thinking with watching Huerter play well. Duncan Robinson is another one that is comparable. Shooting is a bigger deal in NBA than it used to be. I think JW will have a good pro career. His athleticism with vertical certainly doesn't hurt him at all.

It bugs me when people say someone has nothing left to prove in college. Joe has proved he's a borderline NBA player. How is there nothing left to prove? It's almost like it's a dig on him saying he has hit his ceiling. Joe could still come back and prove he's a first round draft pick. Fans have gotten so overboard with the "once you have a chance to play pro ball anywhere you need to jump ship right away" mentality.

You can’t be serious with Luka and Jokic comparisons. ESPN’s latest mock has Luka as a late 2nd rounder. Bigs with shaky defense get exposed in the League.
Did you read what I wrote? I said being on Jokics level seems crazy. But their games/size are somewhat similar minus the ball handling/passing. I'll say this right now Garza is as good of a shooter as Jokic is. Can he score in the NBA like him now that remains to be seen and I doubt it. But Garza offensively has a counter move to anyone guarding him 1 on 1 which was what made him unstoppable in college. He could get a good shot anytime and his shot selection for the most part was really good.

Yes Garzas D was somewhere between bad and terrible most of the time. Which will absolutely affect him at this level. So I don't expect him to start or play large mins until he does improve on that. That's what'll hold him down if anything. It won't be the offensive side of ball though.

This is what I was thinking with watching Huerter play well. Duncan Robinson is another one that is comparable. Shooting is a bigger deal in NBA than it used to be. I think JW will have a good pro career. His athleticism with vertical certainly doesn't hurt him at all.
I have to think with how JW can shoot and being as athletic as he is there're are more then a few teams looking for just that kid of player. Huerter alone the last couple weeks I think has helped raise JWs stock. Be it a starter or not who wouldn't like a Kyle Kover style of player who can impact the spacing on the floor? Even if JW doesn't get drafted he'll have a few NBA teams tripping over each other to try bringing him in to their summer league. Bottom line is he'll get a shot.

Dekker had a great run in the NCAA tournament so you could kinda see it.

Take a peak at Huerter’s numbers the year he bolted from Maryland they are identical to JW. Not saying JW will stick, but I certainly understand why he wants to go all in and roll the dice.
Huerter only played one year at Maryland vs. Joe's three. Huerter has really played well in the playoffs this year. I think he is a good comparison for Joe, not that Joe will be drafted as high or be as good but they do have similar type games.

I read a mock draft on The Athletic that have both Luka and JW going in the second round of the draft. #47 and #53 players taken overall. If that happens I think both will stick and hopefully have long careers in the NBA.

Sounds as if Joe's stock is rising a bit these days. His measurables were good and he performed pretty well in the scrimmage yesterday. Think he plays again at 4:15 today on ESPNU.

Luka has not helped his chances so far. Had horrible measurables and came up with a groin pull and missed his scrimmage yesterday. I don't remember him ever being injured at Iowa except with cuts and bloody noses imposed on him.

I know the NBA stat guys live and die with the measurables, but I think Luka is one of those players who usually outplays his measurables. Hope some coach sees this and gives him a shot.

Sounds as if Joe's stock is rising a bit these days. His measurables were good and he performed pretty well in the scrimmage yesterday. Think he plays again at 4:15 today on ESPNU.

Luka has not helped his chances so far. Had horrible measurables and came up with a groin pull and missed his scrimmage yesterday. I don't remember him ever being injured at Iowa except with cuts and bloody noses imposed on him.

I know the NBA stat guys live and die with the measurables, but I think Luka is one of those players who usually outplays his measurables. Hope some coach sees this and gives him a shot.
He ll get a shot. His measurables just don't add up when everyone is really good. JW s biggest measurable issue is his height. 6-5 guards w no dribbling ability is an issue. His skills at 6-8 would be more valuable.

Luka was never going to set the world on fire with his measurables his game tape shooting and motor were always going to be his strengths. I'm bummed he got hurt and isn't playing in these scrimage games. He'd absolutely tear it up in that atmosphere.

Chad Ford

@chadfordinsider

·
15m
Texas big man Jericho Sims will emerge as one of the big winners this week. Elite size, athleticism and played well in the 5-on-5 games. Ditto for Iowa's Joe Wieskamp. Tested as a great athlete, an elite shooter, playmaker. Surprised he isn’t getting more late 1st looks.

How many center can shoot skyhook shots? I haven't seen very many skyhooks in NBA. Maybe I'm wrong. It's all that rain clugging up my gutters up there, I guess..

Latest posts