Looking Back at Men Who Have Held Hawkeye Scoring Record

Interesting, to me at least, I spent significant time with two of these former scoring leaders. Dave Gunther was my coach at North Dakota, and Don Nelson was a team-mate and good friend of my father who spent time around our house in the off season when he was playing with the Celtics.

Interesting, to me at least, I spent significant time with two of these former scoring leaders. Dave Gunther was my coach at North Dakota, and Don Nelson was a team-mate and good friend of my father who spent time around our house in the off season when he was playing with the Celtics.
As a high school Sr. At Central Lyon, I played against Steve Gunther, Dave’ younger brother, I think, at LeMars Central. It was a hell of a game that we won in the last couple of minutes. We went on to an undefeated regular season and later lost to Mike Grace and Sioux City Heelan. If we would have won, we would have been in Des Moines. No classes in those days. My childhood heroes were Sioux Center in 1959...won the state title vs Davenport West on a last second shot. I can still name the starting five. 1 played at ISU, two others at NW Orange City. Hoosiers!

Latest posts