Looking Ahead- 2014 vs 2015

HawkeyeMHA

I love to look ahead when the future may be bright. I am very hopeful for next year, based on players coming back and the schedule. ? Is do you think next year is the year or 2015 when ruddock is a senior? I think many will say when he is a senior but I think our window is next year. Get ready, next year is our year to make it happen. Or 2015?

It will be interesting to see if Jake gets any better from year 1 to year 2 (of starting). Vandy certainly didn't and even Stanzi took a step back before he had a great year as a senior.

I'm thinking next year is our window. Both lines are going to be better (both potentially very good), hoping for a breakout year by a very smart qb, all rbs back and very deep here, receiving core back, two good te's back, we can replace tanner miller and lowdermilk, all that's left is getting lb's to hold court. I am hopeful that Alston can fill one of the three shoes and we can find two more athletes to make tackles. The D Line will help overcome some of their inexperience. Gotta find another corner for Lowery too. But we have a lot coming back. Next year is the year

I think Its next year based on our OL & DL B ut you are always one Key injury/ DWI/ Ect away from that changing

Players need to very quietly work very hard during the off season and we need to stay under everyone's radar and then just win games. I'd like to see is in that title game in indee, but I've probably already jinxed us

Players need to very quietly work very hard during the off season and we need to stay under everyone's radar and then just win games. I'd like to see is in that title game in indee, but I've probably already jinxed us

I think you're confusing playing football with hunting wabbit. :)

The press report about Greg Davis liking the redshirt freshman receivers is a plus if they turn out to make some big plays.

Lomax is back and was a starter so I hope he improves and takes over for Lowery but if Lomax gets beat out then that means we must have a pretty decent starter there.

Yeah, safety play and Lbkrs will be a key.

The running game should be pretty good again as long as no Off Linemen go down.

Lowdermilk is back, but we lose Lowery. I know that the cycle thing has been hashed out, but I really do believe that this year was 2008-like, especially if we win the bowl to go 9-4, like in 2008. Then, next year would be 2009-like, with a better schedule, and a junior QB with experience, and lines that are very solid, and rbs all over the place. I believe that 2014 is the year to strike...win the West and at least get to Indy for the Big Ten title game. A BCS type bowl could result from a year like that, as in 2009. Best case, it is the Rose Bowl.

The press report about Greg Davis liking the redshirt freshman receivers is a plus if they turn out to make some big plays.

Lomax is back and was a starter so I hope he improves and takes over for Lowery but if Lomax gets beat out then that means we must have a pretty decent starter there.

Yeah, safety play and Lbkrs will be a key.

The running game should be pretty good again as long as no Off Linemen go down.

I think the bolded part will be huge. In fact, I was thinking about starting a specific thread about it. I was excited to see Davis mentioned the young WR's are starting to look promising at practice. Willies specifically could be a major impact player. He's got solid size at 6'3 and he's fast. If he and Tevaun Smith can emerge as playmakers on the outside I know there are other guys who can fill the possession receiver role (McCarron, Vandeberg, etc.). Hopefully Powell can provide a spark as a speed guy as well. Plus the continued depth at TE and RB. I could really see this offense blossoming into something pretty special a year from now.

Obviously there are some holes to fill on defense. However, that side of the football seems to have a way of figuring itself out for the Hawks. It's the offense that is usually a step behind. I'm excited to see what the possibilities are if both units can perform at similar levels of consistency.

Yes...right now, the schedule in 2014 shapes up pretty favorably. I think the offense takes another step forward...possibly a big step forward. I really think the offensive line of Scherff, Donnal, Blythe, Walsh, and Ward is going to be very very solid. All will be over 300lbs and athletic, with experience. There is also some depth now too with guys like Simmons who have even gotten a look yet. We are deep at RB, and I think it's going to be hard to keep Daniels on the sideline. He will be bigger, faster, stronger and more experienced next year. He's going to be a load.

The receiver position is looking so much better when you consider the three TE's coming back, Tevan Smith, Damond Powell, and KMM. Then you throw in a big fast guy like Willies, and possession guys like Hillyer and Macarron...that's a pretty solid 5 wide in a 2nd and long and or 3rd and long situation. Davis will have so many situational options with that kind of depth at receiver and there is speed. Defenses will finally have to respect more than one side of the field. It will just open up the underneath stuff even more. I think this team averages over 30 points next year which will take some pressure off our defense.

Anything less than 10-2 would be surprising to me.

Is a CFP game in the Rose Bowl next year really attainable? Our schedule is nothing to laugh at but let's face it, not the strongest either. Forgive me for doubting (I will never do it again) but one of the 4 best teams in the country this time next year? Just trying to be realistic. My heart says we are going to play in the Sugar or Rose Bowl next year but Strength of Schedule tells my brain otherwise. Please Hawks prove me wrong!!!

I think you're confusing playing football with hunting wabbit. :)

That post gets a gold star. Well done.

HE_gold-star-thinkstock_s4x3_lg.jpg

Ya'll think a win vs LSU would help lock up any recruits on the fence?

It doesn't hurt. The last time Iowa beat LSU it helped land a few. They didn't work out, but that is another matter. I do think long term, the more "Name" teams we beat the better the reputation.

This schedule is ridicuous.

[h=1]2014 Iowa Hawkeyes Football Schedule[/h]
DateOpponentTime/TVTickets
Saturday
Aug. 30
northern-iowa1.gif
Northern Iowa Panthers
Kinnick Stadium, Iowa City, IA
TBA---
Saturday
Sept. 6
Ball State Cardinals
TBA---
Saturday
Sept. 13
Iowa State Cyclones
TBA---
Saturday
Sept. 20
at Pittsburgh Panthers
Heinz Field, Pittsburgh, PA
TBA---
Saturday
Sept. 27
at Purdue Boilermakers
Ross-Ade Stadium, West Lafayette, IN
TBA---
Saturday
Oct. 4
---Open Date------
Saturday
Oct. 11
Indiana Hoosiers
TBA---
Saturday
Oct. 18
at Maryland Terrapins
Byrd Stadium, College Park, MD
TBABuy
Tickets
Saturday
Oct. 25
---Open Date------
Saturday
Nov. 1
Northwestern Wildcats
TBA---
Saturday
Nov. 8
at Minnesota Golden Gophers
TCF Bank Stadium, Minneapolis, MN
TBA---
Saturday
Nov. 15
at Illinois Fighting Illini
Memorial Stadium, Champaign, IL
TBA---
Saturday
Nov. 22
Wisconsin Badgers
TBA---
Friday
Nov. 28
Nebraska Cornhuskers
TBA---
Saturday
Dec. 6
big-ten-logo-70.png
Big Ten Championship Game
Lucas Oil Stadium, Indianapolis, IN
TBA---

We really need to win 10 games

[h=1]2015 Iowa Hawkeyes Football Schedule[/h]
DateOpponentTime/TVTickets
Saturday
Sept. 5
illinois-st1.gif
Illinois State RedBirds
TBA---
Saturday
Sept. 12
at Iowa State Cyclones
Jack Trice Stadium, Ames, IA
TBA---
Saturday
Sept. 19
Pittsburgh Panthers
TBA---
Saturday
Sept. 26
North Texas Mean Green
TBA---
Saturday
Oct. 3
at Wisconsin Badgers
Camp Randall Stadium, Madison, WI
TBA---
Saturday
Oct. 10
Illinois Fighting Illini
TBA---
Saturday
Oct. 17
at Northwestern Wildcats
Ryan Field, Evanston, IL
TBA---
Saturday
Oct. 24
---Open Date------
Saturday
Oct. 31
Maryland Terrapins
TBA---
Saturday
Nov. 7
at Indiana Hoosiers
Memorial Stadium, Bloomington, IN
TBA---
Saturday
Nov. 14
Minnesota Golden Gophers
TBA---
Saturday
Nov. 21
Purdue Boilermakers
TBA---
Friday
Nov. 27
at Nebraska Cornhuskers
Memorial Stadium, Lincoln, NE
TBA---
Saturday
Dec. 5
big-ten-logo-70.png
Big Ten Championship Game
Lucas Oil Stadium, Indianapolis, IN
TBA---

Lets not get to carried away with the schedule, I mean Iowa is usually a few lucky plays away from loosing to most of those teams. Even when we've had good teams.

Nebraska will have talent
Wisconsin will always be a tough game
Iowa State always get their best
Minnesota we'll just see if they keep improving
NW won't be down for long under Fitz, plus they hate Iowa
Not to mention we've had bad games against Purdue and Indiana in the past
Oh and Illinois

The last time I looked 'ahead' excitingly was 2005--just had 3 straight finishes in top 8, and just had a top-10 recruiting class, and dropping Mich and OSU off schedule. I was envisioning a national championship. Instead things went straight down hill and AND off the field for the next 3 or 4 yrs! Of course, same thing happened in 2010 after an amazing 2009.

Latest posts