Longhorn Network contract emerges

Another thing I heard on the radio today was that Texas has the right to fire any on-air personnel that don't tow the line. So basically any objective commentary could get somebody a pink slip.

Wow...so there is not going to be a B12 Network that involves Texas...which means there is not going to be a B12 network.

Nebraska and Colorado saw the situation for what it was and bailed out. Plain and simple. When that happened, it was the end of the B12 conference.
If you think that the other programs arent working the phones, for invites to other conferences, you're crazy.
Its only a matter of time.
And I dont believe that the B12 would allow Texas to go independent in football and still be allowed to participate in the conference for other sports.
They would be stupid to let that happen.

Wow...so there is not going to be a B12 Network that involves Texas...which means there is not going to be a B12 network.

Jon, if you read the actual contract it says that Texas cannot contribute its games to a big12 network. If Texas is playing in Ames, then that game can be on a Big12 network assuming it is not picked up by 1st or 2nd tier rights. For football it's a moot point as all conference games starting next year will be on 1st or 2nd tier. In basketball ESPN can grab all of the Texas home games they want, but the road games don't belong to them. Per the agreement at the last meeting, if the LHN wants to take a game from tier 1 or tier 2 home or away it must be agreed upon by both schools and the league.

So in the end, what this means is that you will not see a Big12 network truck sitting in Austin. It does not mean that their games cannot be shown. If the other 9 teams get together, they should be able to get a network off the ground. Obviously it would not be as big or profitable as the BTN, but it would at least get more games on TV.

Jon, if you read the actual contract it says that Texas cannot contribute its games to a big12 network. If Texas is playing in Ames, then that game can be on a Big12 network assuming it is not picked up by 1st or 2nd tier rights. For football it's a moot point as all conference games starting next year will be on 1st or 2nd tier. In basketball ESPN can grab all of the Texas home games they want, but the road games don't belong to them. Per the agreement at the last meeting, if the LHN wants to take a game from tier 1 or tier 2 home or away it must be agreed upon by both schools and the league.

So in the end, what this means is that you will not see a Big12 network truck sitting in Austin. It does not mean that their games cannot be shown. If the other 9 teams get together, they should be able to get a network off the ground. Obviously it would not be as big or profitable as the BTN, but it would at least get more games on TV.

:rolleyes: Some suggested reading for you.
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Denial-River-Egypt-Sandi-Bachom/dp/1568381883#_]Amazon.com: Denial Is Not A River In Egypt (9781568381886): Sandi Bachom, Don Ross: Books[/ame]

They will play less than 50% of football and basketball games on the road and you think a cable company would pick up a Big 12 Network that can't have the biggest schools home games?

I think the details of the contract show that Texas plans on doing what is best for Texas. They don't seem to have any concern for the other members of the league.

Lol at no time did I ever believe that LHN was in fact a B12 network.

And people think that Delaney has too much control over sports.

More proof that UT intends to go independent. They are simply using the Big xii as a means to an end.

Why should they have concern for the other teams? It is not their responsibility to look out for the rest of the conference. If Iowa had that kind of power I would encourage them to go out and do the same thing.

Why should they have concern for the other teams? It is not their responsibility to look out for the rest of the conference. If Iowa had that kind of power I would encourage them to go out and do the same thing.

You're right, it's not their responsibility to look out for the rest of the conference. That said however, there are only a few programs that could actually support their own network and like it or not it does help seperate them from the rest of the programs which gives them that much more of an advantage.

So just for grins I looked up the Longhorn Network, plugged in my zip, selected my provider, and it looks like they do not carry the Longhorn Network. Yeah, I haven't bothered to look for it on my guide yet. So then I selected the other providers in the area and they don't carry it either. So even though I live in Austin, home of the Longhorns, I can't currently get the Longhorn Network. Interesting. Of course it doesn't actually launch for another 14 days so that could change.

Latest posts