longer seasons coming soon

NCHawker

Like it or not, a 13 or 14 game regular season is inevitable. As leagues have expanded it becomes more difficult to have the conference teams play each other as frequently as people would like. As it is today with an 8 game schedule some teams don't play each other very often. As the number of teams expand that situation becomes exasperated and even exacerbated.

Big Jim Deleney said that conferences are about playing each other more often not less often. Now let's throw in the prospect of increasing revenue for each university with 1 or maybe 2 more home games per year. How's that sound? Look at it from a conference stand point. More gams on TV means more revenue. How's that sound? This makes up for those teams which won't get into the "playoff".

Yes of course it will!

No it won't.

Some teams will be left out of the playoffs and nothing will make that better unless they make the playoffs larger. I expect large scools to start playing well into December at some point in the not too distant future.

But first the playoffs are starting to evolve.

I disagree. Twelve games fits into the college calendar. If anything you would more likely see 10 conference games rather than 8 or 9, depending on conference membership. With 14 teams and 2 divisions it seems more likely that six division games and four cross division games is more likely.

Like it or not, a 13 or 14 game regular season is inevitable. As leagues have expanded it becomes more difficult to have the conference teams play each other as frequently as people would like. As it is today with an 8 game schedule some teams don't play each other very often. As the number of teams expand that situation becomes exasperated and even exacerbated.

Big Jim Deleney said that conferences are about playing each other more often not less often. Now let's throw in the prospect of increasing revenue for each university with 1 or maybe 2 more home games per year. How's that sound? Look at it from a conference stand point. More gams on TV means more revenue. How's that sound? This makes up for those teams which won't get into the "playoff".

Yes of course it will!

No it won't.

Some teams will be left out of the playoffs and nothing will make that better unless they make the playoffs larger. I expect large scools to start playing well into December at some point in the not too distant future.

But first the playoffs are starting to evolve.
It will be difficult when taking into account that these kids go to school, study, take finals, etc. it will open a whole new set of challenges concerning payment for athletes, tax exempt status, to just name a few.

They won't go past 12 games as a rule. FCS has 11 game regular season then 16 team playoff. I think FBS will go to 8 teams before the 10 year life span of the four-team playoff concludes. They could do that and still keep 12 game regular season..because for probably half the teams in the 8 team playoff, they will have played a 13th game in a league championship.

I disagree. Twelve games fits into the college calendar. If anything you would more likely see 10 conference games rather than 8 or 9, depending on conference membership. With 14 teams and 2 divisions it seems more likely that six division games and four cross division games is more likely.
They definitely need to go to 10 rather than 9.

Sitting in Kinnick in December does not appeal to me.
that's life in the BT, you youngsters are spoiled by todays weather, back in the 60's and 70's sometimes it snowed on halloween and didn't leave the ground until the middle of April, and sometimes from X-Mas til the end of January it never got above ZERO

that's life in the BT, you youngsters are spoiled by todays weather, back in the 60's and 70's sometimes it snowed on halloween and didn't leave the ground until the middle of April, and sometimes from X-Mas til the end of January it never got above ZERO

Link?

As long as they keep the 4 non conference games I'm alright with the big ten expanding to 9 or 10 conference games. If they go down to 3 non conference games teams like Iowa will drop their BCS matchups for cupcakes because BCS schools will want a home-home series.

Really? What if it were a playoff game?

Count your blessings son.

If it were a playoff game, there would be a good chance hell froze over and it would be really cold that day. Plus, there would be no way Iowa would win it because that would mean they won the B10 title game and Iowa football will never win two really big games in a row. Sorry.

NC, I have no opinion on the theory that conglomeration of leagues will inevitably cause longer seasons. I do however admire that you used exasperate and exacerbate in the same sentence.

I'm guessing we'll see more playoff games eventually. I doubt they'll lengthen the regular season to go along with more playoffs.

If it were a playoff game, there would be a good chance hell froze over and it would be really cold that day. Plus, there would be no way Iowa would win it because that would mean they won the B10 title game and Iowa football will never win two really big games in a row. Sorry.

Boo

If they keep expanding to eventually get to 16 team leagues I think they will have no choice but to at least increase the amount of conference games played. So either they add more games so you still have a handful of non-con games still or they just cut into those and drop the non-cons down to a couple of games a year.

With a 14 game season, just think how much simpler it would be to get to 7 wins and have everyone content with reaching that 7 win plateau.

darth-vader-i-find-your-lack-of-faith-disturbing.jpg

Latest posts