London pipeline

Zstatman

Is Michigan trying to make inroads on our London pipeline?

By John Rothstein of the NY Times:

Kentucky and Michigan to Play a Game in London Next Season

The deal comes as more American college sports teams play in Europe.

Kentucky and Michigan will play a game in London in next season as part of a new deal between the men’s basketball programs that lets Kentucky showcase its team abroad and gives Michigan a multiyear series against one of the top universities in the sport.

The arrangements include the universities trading games against one another on campus (known as a home-and-home series) in the 2021-22 and 2022-23 seasons, according to four people with direct knowledge of the agreements. The people spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss details of a deal that had not been made public.

The London game is scheduled for December 2020 at the O2 arena, a stadium that has been used by the N.B.A. over the past few seasons.

Games outside the United States are not unusual for college basketball, but they generally come in the form of early season tournaments played in resort destinations like Cancún, Mexico, and the Bahamas. An individually scheduled regular season game outside the United States is far less common.

Just copying the NFL I guess.
I think in the NFL'S next collective bargaining meetings you will see the players accept a seventeen game regular season schedule in exchange for one fewer exhibition game, while the owners will accept an increased salary cap in return. The new schedule will consist of eight home games, eight road games, and one neutral game in London, Mexico City, or other international location. Owners will like this because they won't have to give up a home gate revenue to play on international soil. Players will like this because they are against expanding to eighteen games. The league, and the television executives, will love this because advertisers will get international exposure.

I would like to see more of these kind of events. Can you imagine what kind of revenue that two Catholic institutions like Norte Dame vs. Boston College playing in Dublin, Ireland would bring in? Would you pay to go see Iowa vs. Georgia in Sydney, Australia? Or how about say a North Carolina vs Kentucky basketball game in Beijing, China? There are so many endless options and possibilities to expand the footprint and brand names of American sports internationally.

How about the Providence Friars taking on the Holy Cross Crusaders in Vatican City?

The Wake Forest Demon Deacons would have next.

I haven't seen anything on this in a while but last I knew the Jacksonville Jaguars are supposed to become the London Jaguars in 2022.

Latest posts