Living in the past

Shivetts

Has any fan base ever reminisced about a coach who accomplished so little than Iowa fans do for Tom Davis? I get Indiana fans yearning for the days of Bob Knight and UCLA fans remembering fondly the days of John Wooden, but good god Davis has been gone for 20 years and he wasn’t retained for a reason. College basketball has changed tremendously since then and his style of defense would not work with guard focused play.

giphy.gif

Has any fan base ever reminisced about a coach who accomplished so little than Iowa fans do for Tom Davis? I get Indiana fans yearning for the days of Bob Knight and UCLA fans remembering fondly the days of John Wooden, but good god Davis has been gone for 20 years and he wasn’t retained for a reason. College basketball has changed tremendously since then and his style of defense would not work with guard focused play.

Hahahahahaha!!!!!!

Give me Tom Davis and the 86-87 team right now and will see them at the top of the polls and making deep deep run in the Tourny and running the exact same Offense and Defense from 30 years ago..

Trajectory
Lute -----> awesome
Raveling/Davis ------> step down
Alford --------> another step down
Lick ---------> searchin for the bottom

A fan base needs to get nice and comfortable with mediocrity before you can take the next step and become absolute crap. Once you've spent some time as crap, you can move back up to mediocrity and tell yourself you're relevant. You won't be, but the fan base will have developed the skills needed to lie to themselves.

Last edited:
We have 3 tourney wins the last 18 seasons and that’s not counting this year. What are the other options?

Latest posts