Linebackers

maxinquaye

I really like the speed of our linebackers. Morris and Kirksey both ended up with 10 tackles each. I know the competition was weak but thier coverage of recievers was solid as well. This is really going to pay off against all of the spread teams and quick qbs we play this year.

I really like the speed of our linebackers. Morris and Kirksey both ended up with 10 tackles each. I know the competition was weak but thier coverage of recievers was solid as well. This is really going to pay off against all of the spread teams and quick qbs we play this year.

With all due respect to Troy Johnson who got a hell of a lot out of his "God given ability" it was hard to watch him play last year knowing he'd be a step late in a lot of situations. Kirksey, may overrun a play here and there based on inexperience. Morris is a Wunderkind, Nielsen, is probably equivalent to Edds. We have the most athletic group of LB's, maybe ever under KF. Although the Greenway, Hodge grouping was right there(Morris is probably more athletic than Hodge). BTW-Greenway just signed a long-term contract extension with the Vikings.

Vikings sign LB Greenway to long-term extension - Sacramento Sports - Kings, 49ers, Raiders, High School Sports | Sacramento Bee

MattBowen41 Matt Bowen @

Big money for the former #Hawkeye. RT @AdamSchefter The five-year deal that Minnesota linebacker Chad Greenway signed is worth $40 million.

Last edited:
I couldn't agree more with the speed and athletic ability of the LB's. The guy who surprised me a little yesterday with his closing speed was Nielsen. Damn, the dude closed on receivers fast and hit them when he got there.

If the front four continues to develop and can get pressure...this defense is going to be good...very good. The back seven is fast and there is also some depth.

The one thing different with this defense than with D's of the past is team speed. The speed at LB was very obvious. I was also impressed with the quickness and speed up front by Alvis and Daniel. Hopefully the missed sack opps were due to the weather and not a trend we see in the future. I have to think the team speed on D will stand out against the many spread O's on our schedule. It gets me excited for the Northwestern game.

Norm put the word out in the spring that our defense would be fast,and he was right on,as usual. Now, fast is good, but still want to see Carl Davis and maybe Cooper get into the fray in the middle to give us some fire hydrant run stoppers when we need them.
If the lbs stay healthy, they should be a very good group. Again, a bit concerned with the weight of Kirksey/Hitchens,but we do not play Wisky this year,so if they can hold up against MSU and PSU ,we should profit from their speed.

I was thinking about how much our d-line would again be decimated by graduation after this year,but still hope that with Alvis,Davis,Cooper,Raymond,we could have a solid starting group,with McMinnis,and maybe Alston able to fill in at d-end? Gags and Bigach also need to be in that mix. The back seven could be fine again,despite losing Neilsen and Prater,with Morris,Kirksey,Hitchens,Getz,Dibona,Hyde,Sleeper,Castillo,Lowery,Miller,Law,Lomax,Campbell ect...
We need next years defense to be good enough to allow our very good offense to flourish,with a senior stud at QB.

Norm put the word out in the spring that our defense would be fast,and he was right on,as usual. Now, fast is good, but still want to see Carl Davis and maybe Cooper get into the fray in the middle to give us some fire hydrant run stoppers when we need them.
If the lbs stay healthy, they should be a very good group. Again, a bit concerned with the weight of Kirksey/Hitchens,but we do not play Wisky this year,so if they can hold up against MSU and PSU ,we should profit from their speed.

I was thinking about how much our d-line would again be decimated by graduation after this year,but still hope that with Alvis,Davis,Cooper,Raymond,we could have a solid starting group,with McMinnis,and maybe Alston able to fill in at d-end? Gags and Bigach also need to be in that mix. The back seven could be fine again,despite losing Neilsen and Prater,with Morris,Kirksey,Hitchens,Getz,Dibona,Hyde,Sleeper,Castillo,Lowery,Miller,Law,Lomax,Campbell ect...
We need next years defense to be good enough to allow our very good offense to flourish,with a senior stud at QB.

Jaleel Johnson could be in that mix on the line next year. He cooper and Davis will make a nice set of DT. I expect Alvis to move to the outside next year.

Agree 100%. Barring injury, there is no reason why this defense cannot be very good, and good against the numerous running QBs we will be playing.

We need to find our #2 running back behind Coker - an absolute must....

I couldn't agree more with the speed and athletic ability of the LB's. The guy who surprised me a little yesterday with his closing speed was Nielsen. Damn, the dude closed on receivers fast and hit them when he got there.

It is my understanding that last season Nielsen was playing better than Edds did the previous season. His loss in the Michigan State game was devastating.

No doubt there's more speed at LB - and it's great to see.

I think we always need 1 OLB that's almost safety-like (Kirksey & Hitchens) and one OLB that has both cover skills AND "in the box" skills (Nielsen) to attack the running game at the LOS. I think we can continually recruit/find the Kirksey & Hitchens type of players...but Nielsen is tough to find. He's possibly the most complete player on the team (right next to Reiff and maybe McNutt).

Other than JVB and Coker, Nielsen's health is HUGE for the success of this team (I believe you saw it last year when he wasn't.)

I honestly think this entire defense has the ability and potential to be one of the best we've had in recent years. Which is truly saying a lot. I think how the season plays out for the defense comes down to how the line plays. With a relatively young, unproven line I'm not sure how well they will do. However, there is some leadership and talent, with Binns, Daniel, and Daniels in the mix, I have a feeling this line can impress.

As everyone else has said, the linebackers core is very talented. Morris is a future NFLer no doubt, and Nielsen is well on his way as well. Kirksey is very fast, but we will see how well he plays out this year.

The secondary this year is one of the deepest we've had lately, in my opinion. Hyde and Prater are obviously very good and know how to play smart defense. Bernstine and Castillo both have shown great potential in the bowl game and the opening game Saturday. Throw in the fact that KF is high on Sleeper and I feel that we could have a good battle for the last Safety position on our hands, pushing both guys to improve.

Hopefully my gut feeling on the defense is right, because I think this could be a very good defense. The line will be bailed out by the linebackers and secondary, baring injuries.

If the front four continues to develop and can get pressure...this defense is going to be good...very good. The back seven is fast and there is also some depth.

I'm hoping this bodes well for our play versus teh dreaded spread formations.

When I saw Sleeper starting I thought WTF! but he must have something if he's keeping Bernstine behind him. Bernstine was laying the wood on Saturday.

When I saw Sleeper starting I thought WTF! but he must have something if he's keeping Bernstine behind him. Bernstine was laying the wood on Saturday.

Sleeper made some errors ... but I also saw him in on a number of good looking plays too. I definitely would agree that Bernstine looked better through the game.

I think that if Bernstine keeps it up ... he'll likely win the starting spot. However, I think that the coaches are just making him work for it. Nothing wrong with that. Besides, he's going to be playing plenty anyhow.

Latest posts