Like him or not McCaffrey's our coach...

UP6936

...so we might as well heartly welcome him and give him our full support. What possible good can come from being negative about this hire at this point? The deal is done. He's the man. He is our coach for at least the next 3 years, probably more like 4-5.

I, for one, very much want (maybe even need) to be excited about Iowa basketball. I am so very tired of having negative feelings about it. At this point, there is no reason to think this can't potentially be a great hire.

The hiring of Kirk Ferentz made a sound that resembled a thud more than it did a bang. What credentials did Lute have when he was hired?

No, this wasn't the hire I was expecting or anticipating. It certainly was not the hire I was hoping and dreaming about. Right now, though, I know very little about the man aside from his official bio and I look forward to learning more about him, his style of play and the staff he brings in.

Maybe this is the guy Barta wanted. Maybe this is the merely best he could do. Either way he's now a Hawkeye and I'm not going to turn my back on a fellow Hawk!

So, Fran McCaffrey isn't a big name hire. So what. He's my coach (OUR coach) now and I will back him. I am certainly going to give him every opportunity to prove himself and I will give him the time and leeway he needs to build this program back up from the ashes.

So, WELCOME COACH MCCAFFREY! GO HAWKS!

Last edited:
...so we might as well heartly welcome him and give him our full support. What possible good can come from being negative about this hire at this point? The deal is done. He's the man. He is our coach for at least the next 3 years, probably more like 4-5.

I, for one, very much want (maybe even need) to be excited about Iowa basketball. I am so very tired of having negative feelings about it. At this point, there is no reason to think this can't potentially be a great hire.

The hiring of Kirk Ferentz made a sound that resembled a thud more than it did a bang. What credentials did Lute have when he was hired?

No, this wasn't the hire I was expecting or anticipating. It certainly was not the hire I was hoping and dreaming about. Right now, though, I know very little about the man aside from his official bio and I look forward to learning more about him, his style of play and the staff he brings in.

Maybe this is the guy Barta wanted. Maybe this is the merely best he could do. Either way he's now a Hawkeye and I'm not going to turn my back on a fellow Hawk!

So, Fran McCaffrey isn't a big name hire. So what. He's my coach (OUR coach) now and I will back him. I am certainly going to give him every opportunity to prove himself and I will give him the time and leeway he needs to build this program back up from the ashes.

+1

Seton Hall and St. Johns had interest......May be something to the guy..he and his wife were once both kicked out of a game by officials...so that could be interesting...

This guy will be for us what Pearl has been to Tennessee. We obviously couldn't do better but that may turn out to work in our favor. We have the money to keep this guy if he turns out to be the real deal.

I will make a bet that by the time the first game of the 2010-11 season tips off in November, Coach Fran McCaffrey will have the full support of the vast majority of the Hawkeye faithfull and for the first time in years there will be genuine excitement for the oncoming season.

I will make a bet that by the time the first game of the 2010-11 season tips off in November, Coach Fran McCaffrey will have the full support of the vast majority of the Hawkeye faithfull and for the first time in years there will be genuine excitement for the oncoming season.
To do that, he's going to need to bring in a couple big recruits. You think he can do that?? The biggest problem with this hire, IMO, is that it will NOT generate instant excitement in the fan base (witness the board today). As such, he's going to have to win to bring that excitement in OR bring in some big time recruits.

Thank you someone with some sense.

I just want to see improvement from the last three seasons. No coach can be worse than what we have had to go through the last three seasons.

Now, I immediately am wondering about our current players. I wonder what they think about their future and their new coach?

Latest posts