Let's play Heisman "what if"....

What if Stanzi finishes these last 4 games with a flurry......throwing 3 touchdown passes in each game and around 250 yds/game with only 2 more total picks.

That would give him 2,700 yds, 24 tds and 10 picks.

Also, let's assume Iowa wins the final 4 games.

At that point Stanzi would also be 20-3 as a starting QB.

Would that be enough to get Stanzi an invite?

No probably not...just go out and look at the different sports sites heisman watches and that is who will get invited...Stanzi has not even gotten a fart sniff in the Heisman watch and its way too late now. maybe if he had a 3 300 yard games and one 500 yard 4 TD explosion he could get on the "Too little too late" column...

While the win/loss is very impressive, I think more emphasis is put on the individual stats.

For Heismen contention, I think Ricky would need to top 3,000 yrds for the season. 250/yrds a game avg, just isn't enough for consideration. If he finished with 3 or 4 300+ yrds games, then he might get a sniff.

No probably not...just go out and look at the different sports sites heisman watches and that is who will get invited...Stanzi has not even gotten a fart sniff in the Heisman watch and its way too late now. maybe if he had a 3 300 yard games and one 500 yard 4 TD explosion he could get on the "Too little too late" column...

I understand what you're saying, but remember, Banks wasn't on anyone's radar until about game 7 or 8 either. And like that year, there really isn't a clear-cut consensus. I think this year, we're just waiting for someone to emerge and "take the bull by the horns". I really think if Stanzi can finish with some good numbers and we go undefeated, he's got a real chance to get some attention.

The key will be OSU. That will be a national ABC audience, at 2:30, with a chance to impress voters and (hopefully) move to 11-0. It always seems to come down to that one signature moment, in a big game environment (i.e. Carson Palmer against ND), towards the end of the year, that sways the vote.

The nice thing, too, is if he does finish with a flourish, the University will have almost 3 full weeks to promote him since our season will be over and no one will need to worry about putting the cart before the horse, so to speak.

It's a long shot, I know, but if we DO finish undefeated and have an inside track to the NC game, Stanzi will get some love (assuming he doesn't have any more "stat-poor" games like Mich St.).

We had a discussion earlier on what it would take to get him an invite...I thought he'd have to come up big on national TV against Mich State. I don't know if he did enough in the first 58 minutes, although he did leave people with a heck of a final drive.

I agree with anyone who says he has to go pretty crazy statistically for the rest of the year to even get a whiff of NYC.

I understand what you're saying, but remember, Banks wasn't on anyone's radar until about game 7 or 8 either. And like that year, there really isn't a clear-cut consensus. I think this year, we're just waiting for someone to emerge and "take the bull by the horns". I really think if Stanzi can finish with some good numbers and we go undefeated, he's got a real chance to get some attention.

The key will be OSU. That will be a national ABC audience, at 2:30, with a chance to impress voters and (hopefully) move to 11-0. It always seems to come down to that one signature moment, in a big game environment (i.e. Carson Palmer against ND), towards the end of the year, that sways the vote.

The nice thing, too, is if he does finish with a flourish, the University will have almost 3 full weeks to promote him since our season will be over and no one will need to worry about putting the cart before the horse, so to speak.

It's a long shot, I know, but if we DO finish undefeated and have an inside track to the NC game, Stanzi will get some love (assuming he doesn't have any more "stat-poor" games like Mich St.).

Nice, but Banks was a dual threat when all the rage was dual threats and thats why he got hype...and although the U would have 3 weeks to promote him the rest of the nation has 3 weeks to forget about him because he definitely does not have stick in your mind power, he's about as well known as Arnaud...

No chance for Stanzi.

An even bigger what if: In all likelihood, barring injury, had Greene come back this year, the Heisman would be his to lose.

Last year, Greene had that amazing year, statistically and dramatic runs. However, Iowa had 4 losses and the QBs had unbelievable statistic years as well. This year, the qbs have all been mediocre and Iowa is undefeated. Just unfortunate timing.

I'm sure Greene could care less as he is getting PAID!!

No chance for Stanzi.

An even bigger what if: In all likelihood, barring injury, had Greene come back this year, the Heisman would be his to lose.

Last year, Greene had that amazing year, statistically and dramatic runs. However, Iowa had 4 losses and the QBs had unbelievable statistic years as well. This year, the qbs have all been mediocre and Iowa is undefeated. Just unfortunate timing.

I'm sure Greene could care less as he is getting PAID!!

I have to say Greene would probably be on the train to Heisman winner town right now...and the Hawks would have a few more style points this year...He could be kind of a villian if this season doesn't pan out like the fairy tale everyone thinks it's going to be.

What if Stanzi finishes these last 4 games with a flurry......throwing 3 touchdown passes in each game and around 250 yds/game with only 2 more total picks.

That would give him 2,700 yds, 24 tds and 10 picks.

Also, let's assume Iowa wins the final 4 games.

At that point Stanzi would also be 20-3 as a starting QB.

Would that be enough to get Stanzi an invite?

Might give him a shot at the obrien award for top QB and the bigten silver football mvp.......but heisman- no way!

Latest posts