Let's look at the state of the conference

#1DieHardHawk

Where does Iowa stand and how do things look going forward.

The conference elite:

1. MSU. This program has been spinning it's wheels a little bit recently, and has been hurt by early entries, but, nevertheless, it is considered an elite program. Even after Izzo leaves, unless there is a complete thud with the replacement, I would expect it to maintain it's stature for at least 5-10 years.

2. Michigan. Perhaps the best coach in the conference, and on a peak roll right now.

3. Maryland. Solid coaching staff, history and recruiting results. This fan base is rabid about it's BB program.

Next tier:

4. Purdue. A bit up and down under Painter, but always in the mix. The next couple of seasons should be telling for where this program is.

5. Nebraska. Tim Miles has this program poised. He done a masterful job recruiting and bringing in transfers that are difference makers.

6. Minnesota. A lot of talent and athleticism. Can they put it together?

7. Indiana. Miller is quickly putting his stamp on this team. Very good floor coach who's putting together arguably the conference's best recruiting class if the stars align.

8. Ohio State. Holtmann has quickly shown that he has the complete package. Great scheme, makes adjustments on the fly, motivates, and recruits.

8. PSU. Won the NIT. Physically and mentally tough team. Chambers is a lot like Miles in that he is gregarious and likable, and has a knack for putting together effective line-ups and rotations, and, probably is the best motivator in the conference.

10. Wisconsin. Like Purdue, this program is at a bit of crossroads right now. We'll see if Gard has what it takes to keep them competitive.

Teams looking up at the rest:

10. Northwestern. Collins seemingly had this program on the cusp, then everything kind of stalled.

11. Illinois. Inconsistent, but, Underwood is a tough, gritty coach, and, he has had a couple of very good recruiting classes.

12. Rutgers. Some outstanding guards. Can they learn to play both ends of the court?

Programs trending up: Ohio State, Indiana, Nebraska, Minnesota and PSU.

Programs trending down: Purdue, Wisconsin, and Northwestern.

So, where do the Hawks fit? The B1G right now looks like a conference on the rise. Even if Fran can turn his program around, it's hard to envision them breaking into the upper half of the conference consistently with so many young and active coaches, and several outstanding recruiting classes mixed in. Fran is going to have to pull some kind of miracle here, IMO.

Where does Iowa stand and how do things look going forward.

The conference elite:

1. MSU. This program has been spinning it's wheels a little bit recently, and has been hurt by early entries, but, nevertheless, it is considered an elite program. Even after Izzo leaves, unless there is a complete thud with the replacement, I would expect it to maintain it's stature for at least 5-10 years.

2. Michigan. Perhaps the best coach in the conference, and on a peak roll right now.

3. Maryland. Solid coaching staff, history and recruiting results. This fan base is rabid about it's BB program.

Next tier:

4. Purdue. A bit up and down under Painter, but always in the mix. The next couple of seasons should be telling for where this program is.

5. Nebraska. Tim Miles has this program poised. He done a masterful job recruiting and bringing in transfers that are difference makers.

6. Minnesota. A lot of talent and athleticism. Can they put it together?

7. Indiana. Miller is quickly putting his stamp on this team. Very good floor coach who's putting together arguably the conference's best recruiting class if the stars align.

8. Ohio State. Holtmann has quickly shown that he has the complete package. Great scheme, makes adjustments on the fly, motivates, and recruits.

8. PSU. Won the NIT. Physically and mentally tough team. Chambers is a lot like Miles in that he is gregarious and likable, and has a knack for putting together effective line-ups and rotations, and, probably is the best motivator in the conference.

10. Wisconsin. Like Purdue, this program is at a bit of crossroads right now. We'll see if Gard has what it takes to keep them competitive.

Teams looking up at the rest:

10. Northwestern. Collins seemingly had this program on the cusp, then everything kind of stalled.

11. Illinois. Inconsistent, but, Underwood is a tough, gritty coach, and, he has had a couple of very good recruiting classes.

12. Rutgers. Some outstanding guards. Can they learn to play both ends of the court?

Programs trending up: Ohio State, Indiana, Nebraska, Minnesota and PSU.

Programs trending down: Purdue, Wisconsin, and Northwestern.

So, where do the Hawks fit? The B1G right now looks like a conference on the rise. Even if Fran can turn his program around, it's hard to envision them breaking into the upper half of the conference consistently with so many young and active coaches, and several outstanding recruiting classes mixed in. Fran is going to have to pull some kind of miracle here, IMO.
Is this for this season or just a general rating of programs? In either event you are wildly underrating Wisconsin.

Last year they lost their starting PG and likely second best player to a season ending injury in the non conference. They also lost their top freshman. They ended up playing really good ball at the end of the year beating Purdue, winning a game at the BTT, and giving MSU everything they wanted in the BTT as well. They return everyone including a senior Ethan Happ. They’ll be a tough out this year for any team especially at the Kohl Center.

As a program last year was their first year not making the dance in something like 19 years. Even so in the last 5 years they’ve gone to the sweet 16 - 4 times, and all the way to the final four in two of those years.

Is this for this season or just a general rating of programs? In either event you are wildly underrating Wisconsin.

Last year they lost their starting PG and likely second best player to a season ending injury in the non conference. They also lost their top freshman. They ended up playing really good ball at the end of the year beating Purdue, winning a game at the BTT, and giving MSU everything they wanted in the BTT as well. They return everyone including a senior Ethan Happ. They’ll be a tough out this year for any team especially at the Kohl Center.

As a program last year was their first year not making the dance in something like 19 years. Even so in the last 5 years they’ve gone to the sweet 16 - 4 times, and all the way to the final four in two of those years.
I'm not trying to be that specific. I think 4-10 is a bit of a wash and very hard to predict.

A lot of Wisconin's success came under Ryan, so we'll see. My intention is to point out, that, for the most part, the B1G is trending up as a conference with some recent solid recruiting and up-and-coming young coaches. So, the question is, what happens over the next few seasons with Iowa? Fran may very well put out a better product, but, even with significant improvement, it's hard to envision Iowa consistently in the top half of the conference the way it's stacking up.

I think if the bar is 10-12 regular season conference wins and a consistent trip to the dance (with the occasional Sweet Sixteen appearance), it's going to be a very difficult expectation for Fran to meet. For that to happen, there probably would have to be some major changes with the program.

Couple things I'll add to your elite teams:

-Sparty is a shell of themselves without Izzo. He is the face and life blood of that program that nobody can ever duplicate. Without Izzo, Michigan has the brand name in the state.

-Beilein is 65 years old. How many years does he have left in him?

-Maryland is the one B1G team most likely to get the hammer when it comes to NCAA sanctions. Their name has come up over and over in the recent investigations

IMO the B1G has been wide open for a few years now and will continue to be into the future...which is why Iowa's lack of success is even more frustrating.

I'd hardly call Nebraska poised... maybe poised to make a run, but they've made 1 NCAA in 7 seasons under Miles and it took a recipe of having upperclassmen and some transfers to make it happen... maybe.... in this 1 year? Not exactly something they've proven to be sustainable honestly cause it hasn't even accomplished anything yet. I think they'll struggle to dance this year mostly because they'll have a target on their back.

I'd hardly call Nebraska poised... maybe poised to make a run, but they've made 1 NCAA in 7 seasons under Miles and it took a recipe of having upperclassmen and some transfers to make it happen... maybe.... in this 1 year? Not exactly something they've proven to be sustainable honestly cause it hasn't even accomplished anything yet. I think they'll struggle to dance this year mostly because they'll have a target on their back.

I've been critical of Iowa's program at times but there is no way I would put Nebraska program that high in the B1G or above Iowa. Iowa's won a couple of tournament games recently.

And no way they're above Indiana, Ohio St, or Wisconsin as a program IMO. I wouldn't bet they finish above any of those teams in the B1G this year alone.

It kills me to say this, but after watching the discombobulated performances in our first two games, and having seen most of the other B1G teams at least once, I would be hard pressed to put us anywhere but in the basement of the B1G this season. And frankly, the future don't look so bright either.

Well I've seen enough of Michigan tonight to know that's a loss. Blowing Nova out at home by 27 at half. What is this team going to do to the Hawks??

Last edited:
One could argue we did take the team last year that went to the Natty to overtime...

Son shines on a dog's ass every now and then. If I remember correctly Michigan shot extremely poorly from 3 that game. Way below their average. You're right...maybe the stars align and we keep it close. But the more likely scenario is we get blown out.

Son shines on a dog's ass every now and then. If I remember correctly Michigan shot extremely poorly from 3 that game. Way below their average. You're right...maybe the stars align and we keep it close. But the more likely scenario is we get blown out.
I agree. Fran has done pretty well against Belien. The things I’ve taken from this game are that Michigan looks solid once again and that Nova doesn’t look very good at all.

Iowa's place in the conference=
tenor.gif

I disagree with your team by team analysis so we will just agree to disagree. I will simply state facts. Below are Iowa's Big 10 finishes over the last 7 seasons.

Tied 11th
Tied 5th
Tied 3rd
Tied 3rd
6th
6th
Tied 7th

Our average finish is (a tie for?) 6th over the last 7 years. Look at the 5 years prior to last year...data supports last year being an outlier...and the average finish is a tie for 4th.

So there is nothing to turn around for me because I can live with a tie for 4th over a 5 year stretch...would like to do better of course...but tying for 4th in the Big 10 year in and year out is pretty solid. No miracles are necessary or needed...IMO.