Lemming's Top 100

Everything I have seen about Christian French has led me to believe that he has freakish athleticism and size...but is kind of a man without a position. I would think that the top 100 prospects in the nation would include a list of polished athletes.

Being a man without a position wouldn't be a bad thing...unless it is because of glaring weaknesses at any given position. Again...from what I have heard...he doesn't have anywhere near the hands to be a WR...and he doesn't have the hands nor the propensity for blocking to be a TE.

He supposedly has also shown a tendency to shy away from physical contact which would make it tough to put him at DE or LB.

I realize that his physical abilities would make it tough to not get him involved somewhere/somehow and I would love to see what the Hawkeye's staff could do with him given those abilities...but can you really make a guy a top 100 prospect based solely on 40/100 times and size?

Everything I have seen about Christian French has led me to believe that he has freakish athleticism and size...but is kind of a man without a position. I would think that the top 100 prospects in the nation would include a list of polished athletes.

Being a man without a position wouldn't be a bad thing...unless it is because of glaring weaknesses at any given position. Again...from what I have heard...he doesn't have anywhere near the hands to be a WR...and he doesn't have the hands nor the propensity for blocking to be a TE.

He supposedly has also shown a tendency to shy away from physical contact which would make it tough to put him at DE or LB.

I realize that his physical abilities would make it tough to not get him involved somewhere/somehow and I would love to see what the Hawkeye's staff could do with him given those abilities...but can you really make a guy a top 100 prospect based solely on 40/100 times and size?
When Ballard first came there was a lot of talk about him being soft and not liking contact. Now he is a beefcake over 300lbs starting for one of the best DL's in the country.

I don't know where you heard this guy would shy away from contact, he has a reputation of knocking down anyone in his way including 300 pound lineman. He has great hands for a possible TE and he has played Safety as well as Linebacker throughout his short career. If he wants to play basketball, he would be D1 caliber. Great athlete with huge upside.

I don't know where you heard this guy would shy away from contact, he has a reputation of knocking down anyone in his way including 300 pound lineman. He has great hands for a possible TE and he has played Safety as well as Linebacker throughout his short career. If he wants to play basketball, he would be D1 caliber. Great athlete with huge upside.
Well IMO based on positive and negative comments posted about him. He needs to jump on board the Hawkeye bandwagon with a staff that is the best in the nation at developing players. Just because he has an offer from a very elite program it doesn't mean he will be able to transition to be a successful Football player. He has little record of athletic success and very few program can help kids reach their potential like Iowa can.

Was it written somewhere/posted somewhere that he prefers to play offense? I have it in my head that Iowa liked him for D and he prefers O. Was thinking that was a big consideration for him- maybe I'm talking jibberish this Monday morning... anyone know for sure?

Iowa hasn't typically in the past told any recruits what position they have to play. I'm sure if he wants to try offense they would let him start there, if things didn't work out they would try to persuade him to another spot.

Was it written somewhere/posted somewhere that he prefers to play offense? I have it in my head that Iowa liked him for D and he prefers O. Was thinking that was a big consideration for him- maybe I'm talking jibberish this Monday morning... anyone know for sure?

It was ND that would prefer to start him out on D.

I think he wants to play O, but I've heard he has hands made of stone. However, so does J.D. Griggs and he's still a TE at iowa.

Christian will be used in a different mode than he has been used in his first two years of football. The Kennedy Coaching staff is going to work him into positions to be successful. Christian does not mind put a hit on people. Playing as a free safety, he was very cautious about not letting anyone behind him and it kind of affected his play. It will be fun to watch him this fall.

Actually it's widely known that he does not have great hands. It's not an accident that a 6-6 kid w/ blazing speed had only 2 catches last year and zero interceptions. A kid that big and athletic should have balls falling into his hands on accident. He doesn't have great insticts as a safety. He'll be a major project for Iowa, hopefully one they can handle and turn him into a stud.

Interesting thing about the French kid is he came out of absolutely no where. Watched him play the first game of the year last season and hadn't even heard of him since he hadn't played. Next thing you know he is off the charts.

Interesting thing about the French kid is he came out of absolutely no where. Watched him play the first game of the year last season and hadn't even heard of him since he hadn't played. Next thing you know he is off the charts.

The issue there is that folks are banking on potential there. If a guy with that sort of size and speed can settle down at a home position ... he instantly becomes an incredible asset. That's why the kid has blown up like he has. You very rarely see guys that tall with that sort of speed.

I frankly wouldn't be shocked if Shumpert's emergence as a surprisingly good sprinter is part of the reason why he ended up landing at WR rather than S.

Iowa hasn't typically in the past told any recruits what position they have to play. I'm sure if he wants to try offense they would let him start there, if things didn't work out they would try to persuade him to another spot.

Iowa does tell players where they are projected to play for Iowa. Some are told they can start out elsewhere or they are recruited as athletes who will be evaluated in camp. French would seem to be an athlete who will be evaluated based on senior year and camp. Some are projecting him at TE, and I think I read somewhere he likes offense best, but he could also project at DE, LB or maybe even SS, with his speed.

I still remember years ago when Kevin Long from IC West went to Kansas because Iowa saw him as TE rather than QB. I say this just to reinforce my point.

Latest posts