"Leaving" = Not Welcome Anymore

simpsonllp

It was a nice gesture for someone who has given 13 years to the University of Iowa, but you don't "leave" close to $300k for maybe $150k.

KOK was gone. Props to Kirk for finally pulling the trigger. Long overdue.

It was a nice gesture for someone who has given 13 years to the University of Iowa, but you don't "leave" close to $300k for maybe $150k.

I think you are underestimating compensation in the NFL. I also think you are underestimating the time and effort put into recruiting and how much better the weather is in Miami than Iowa. Great move for coach O'Keefe.

I think you are underestimating compensation in the NFL. I also think you are underestimating the time and effort put into recruiting and how much better the weather is in Miami than Iowa. Great move for coach O'Keefe.

I'd say a great move for both parties.

also no state income tax. Worked for LeBron

You sir, would be correct. Other things going on. Not quite over yet, it just will not be this public.

So In your opinion (or what you've heard) KOK wasn't happy with the Coker situation for one reason or another (not really important) and just decided to part ways?

Could it have been a mutual decision to part ways?

I think QB coach in the NFL is pretty decent gig. It's a stepping stone position to offensive coordinator/head coach positions. Also, after 13 years doing one thing, maybe KOK just wanted to try something new. Variety is the spice of life.

Water boys make 100,000 in the NFL. KOK is not moving to miami for 150K, a QB coack is going to make more than that.

Could it possibly be that KOK is 55 years old, 13 years in one spot and it was simply time to move on.

GREAT move for KOK. Personally, I don't think, if his aspirations are a HC gig at college level, that he can get there as quickly from where he has been sitting. He might be able to get either a "crap" job, or a major rebuilding job, from his current position, but from even a moderately successful NFL gig he could land at least a Mountain West/C-USA/WAC gig, if not lower-level BCS job.

People on this board need to calm the heck down. He's done good-to-great work in his 13 years at IOWA. He shouldn't pass up an opportunity like Miami, unless he and his family simply prefer to stay in Iowa City.

lol after 13 years in the midwest winters, and some place in Miami called for my services with a pretty decent salary....cya haha nice move for both sides but it worked out real well for Ken. Best wishes to him, I disagreed with some of his playcalling but he's a good guy.

I have several good friends in sofla, and they are thrilled about the new blood coaching staff they are getting. after just chatting with two of them about this latest kok hiring, they are even more thrilled with the fact that they have their "solid" iowa lienage.

Average assistant salaries range from $200k in Jacksonville to $300k in Dallas, but the range is wide. As many as 25 assistants make over $1 million (all are coordinators).

Maybe it’s a lot more straight forward than people here want to think. Philbin gets the Miami gig and is looking for staff. He remembers his years with KOK fondly, had good chemistry with KOK. Gives KOK an offer. KOK sees it as an opportunity and decides 13 years as a fan favorite at Iowa is enough.

No doubt that KOK will not take a 50 % pay cut.

No doubt that KOK is a very good football coach.

I really doubt about the weather in Miami. Have you ever spent any time in SO FL between Mid April and Mid October. It's almost unbearable. It's not getting any better.

Granted Iowa winters suck from mid November to mid March... with Global climate change and a few degrees here and there... it's not so bad.

No doubt that KOK will not take a 50 % pay cut.

No doubt that KOK is a very good football coach.

I really doubt about the weather in Miami. Have you ever spent any time in SO FL between Mid April and Mid October. It's almost unbearable. It's not getting any better.

Granted Iowa winters suck from mid November to mid March... with Global climate change and a few degrees here and there... it's not so bad.

Inland sucks, on the water not so bad if you have the scratch to pull that off. The daily afternoon showers really help.

Anybody realize that the "Head Coach and Assistant Coach's" are state employee's? They pay zero for health insurance ! They are "vested" to earn 60% of their highest salary for the rest of their live's ! Then they go to another state school,say Florida and once again after 3-5 years they get that state's retirement program,then they move again,let's say Texas,and here we go again! think Dan Mc Cartney(do),Saban,Stoop's,Nuehuisel,etc. fricking ridiculous, but no one say's anything !!! This is not B.S.,look into it !

Latest posts