Last Play of the Game

IowaHawk24

3.3 seconds (should have been more time but a thread discussing that already exists) is more than enough time to inbound to a guard and dribble the ball up the court and get a decent look at a 3.

This is not the first time the Hawks have tried a full-court pass when there is enough time to get the ball up the court using the dribble or multiple passes.

I don't care if McCabe was Joe Montana in high school, that play just seems like a higher risk play to me.

What are other's thoughts?

most college players can dribble a ball from end to end in about 4 secs. This being said, there is no need to throw a hail marry. Get it to Gatens on the run and hit a running three or have time to stop and pop from NBA range. I know we practice "latener" type plays for end of game situations, but against Wisky and NU we looked like a high school team.

The odds of Iowa making a play and hitting a 3 were so slim regardless of what play it was that ******** about this and calling Fran out in regards to it (in other threads) are stupid.

Ummm, you do realize we were down 3, right? If you just normally inbound the ball and then dribble up the floor, you will get fouled at the half court, leaving very little time on the clock. Then, you need to hit the first FT and miss the second and pray for a rebound-tip situation. As low of a percentage play as that one was, it meant that if Cole caught it clean, he would have had time to dish it to give someone one look at a 3 and if Cole was fouled immediately, virtually no time would have run off the clock. That's actually a very good play call in that situation. If you're down one or two such that the foul is off the table for the opposition, you don't need to try that hail mary, but down 3, it is the only chance you have for taking a three point shot.

most college players can dribble a ball from end to end in about 4 secs. This being said, there is no need to throw a hail marry. Get it to Gatens on the run and hit a running three or have time to stop and pop from NBA range. I know we practice "latener" type plays for end of game situations, but against Wisky and NU we looked like a high school team.

Wait a second,you are saying in the other thread that Thompson took the inbounds pass and took 4-5 steps and that took 1.9 seconds,yet a player can go from end to end in 4 seconds? 94 ft in 4 seconds yet Thompson at full gallop only could go maybe 15 ft in 1.9 seconds...does not compute.

Wait a second,you are saying in the other thread that Thompson took the inbounds pass and took 4-5 steps and that took 1.9 seconds,yet a player can go from end to end in 4 seconds? 94 ft in 4 seconds yet Thompson at full gallop only could go maybe 15 ft in 1.9 seconds...does not compute.

He came back to the ball, turned around, and ran up the sidelines. Yeah I would say thats 4 or 5 steps. Good try though.

Ummm, you do realize we were down 3, right? If you just normally inbound the ball and then dribble up the floor, you will get fouled at the half court, leaving very little time on the clock. Then, you need to hit the first FT and miss the second and pray for a rebound-tip situation. As low of a percentage play as that one was, it meant that if Cole caught it clean, he would have had time to dish it to give someone one look at a 3 and if Cole was fouled immediately, virtually no time would have run off the clock. That's actually a very good play call in that situation. If you're down one or two such that the foul is off the table for the opposition, you don't need to try that hail mary, but down 3, it is the only chance you have for taking a three point shot.

Good call. I was upset with the loss and this slipped my mind.

thanks okeefe, didnt even think about that. Initially i was wondering why we would throw it inside the 3 point line when were down 3

thanks okeefe, didnt even think about that. Initially i was wondering why we would throw it inside the 3 point line when were down 3

IIRC, we had Gatens and Stoermer on the wings. My guess would be that Cole was supposed to catch it and pass it to whichever was open for a three. The pass was just a little too long for that to work. But really, that wasn't an awful pass (right decision, and not that far off the mark). As mentioned, our chances are so ridiculously slim in that situation anyway, no point complaining that we didn't score.

IIRC, we had Gatens and Stoermer on the wings. My guess would be that Cole was supposed to catch it and pass it to whichever was open for a three. The pass was just a little too long for that to work. But really, that wasn't an awful pass (right decision, and not that far off the mark). As mentioned, our chances are so ridiculously slim in that situation anyway, no point complaining that we didn't score.

Understand that now. Actually a pretty smart call IMO

Looking at it in replay, it was a nice play under the circumstances. The long pass draws everyone to the ball. If Cole catches it, he then kicks it back out for a spot up 3. Probably as good a chance than Cartwright racing down the court to fire up an off balance three that would be contested. Plus it reduces the chance of getting fouled before the 3 can be shot. Slim chance of success, but I liked the idea.

But the point is, the Hawks didn't even give themselves a chance with that play. At least if you throw the ball to halfcourt ya get a shot off......

But the point is, the Hawks didn't even give themselves a chance with that play. At least if you throw the ball to halfcourt ya get a shot off......

That has practically zero chance of going in. The pass to Cole was a little off the mark. McCabe executes it, and we get a much better look from either Gatens or Stoermer on the wing. It was the right play.

Honestly, I can't believe there are actually people complaining about the last play. How many times does a team win/tie in that situation? Almost never (like 1 in 1000).

You want to b*tch about not fouling for 20 seconds? That's fine, that's logical. B*tching because we didn't get the tie on the last play is stupid.

That has practically zero chance of going in. The pass to Cole was a little off the mark. McCabe executes it, and we get a much better look from either Gatens or Stoermer on the wing. It was the right play.

Honestly, I can't believe there are actually people complaining about the last play. How many times does a team win/tie in that situation? Almost never (like 1 in 1000).

You want to b*tch about not fouling for 20 seconds? That's fine, that's logical. B*tching because we didn't get the tie on the last play is stupid.

I agree 100% with this post.