Larry Cotlar

Just saw this a little bit ago. Sad.

Things were crazy around the metro last night. Lots of flooded basements and car.

Damn.. Unreal. It's done that before around there. As far as flash flooding to such a terrible degree. About 10 yrs ago I listened to Cotlar on the radio. He was a pretty upbeat positive guy for all things Iowa sports. He'll certainly be missed...

Sad loss. A legend in Central Iowa. Here's what infuriates me. Go over to ESPN and read their viewer's comments. Disgusting, ignorant and insensitive don't even begin to describe them. Complete and total morons.

Those imbeciles may have to deal with a family tragedy of their own some day. And karma can be a you-know-what.

Here are some examples:

"It takes 43,560 gallons of water to equal an inch of rain per acre. Des Moines is roughly 90 acres."

"What? Did he live in a van by the river?"

"I didn't know Drake had athletics. What are my ears going to do without Drake sports"

"You should never get out of your vehicle in a flood."

Others were trying to drag Drake the musician into it, saying that ESPN posted this story for the sole intention of increasing clicks to the musician's website and presumably boosting his album sales.

The teaching moments about flood safety can wait until later. Now is not the time for them.

Last edited:
Sad loss. A legend in Central Iowa. Here's what infuriates me. Go over to ESPN and read their viewer's comments. Disgusting, ignorant and insensitive don't even begin to describe them. Complete and total morons.

Those imbeciles may have to deal with a family tragedy of their own some day. And karma can be a you-know-what.

Here are some examples:

"It takes 43,560 gallons of water to equal an inch of rain per acre. Des Moines is roughly 90 acres."

"I didn't know Drake had athletics. What are my ears going to do without Drake sports"

Others were trying to drag Drake the musician into it, saying that ESPN posted this story for the sole intention of increasing clicks to the musician's website and presumably boosting his album sales.

The teaching moments about flood safety can wait until later. Now is not the time for them.
I consider this neither disgusting or insensitive. Unless you left a lot of context out.

I consider this neither disgusting or insensitive. Unless you left a lot of context out.
I had nothing to do with the context of those quotes, they were (almost) directly copied from ESPN comments. The last sentence of my post is the key. There will be a time to address the would haves, could haves, and should haves, and someday his example may save other lives. I just didn't think eighteen hours after the tragedy was the time. He was in an emergency life/death situation. It turned into a tragedy. Disgusting may be too a strong a word for that comment but insensitive definitely is not. That was someone's spouse, father, friend, etc. that lost his life last night. Saying what he could/should have done at this stage is pretty insensitive in my book. 98% of the people out there would have no idea how they would act and how quickly they would act in a situation like that unless it happened to them. We may never know exactly what he tried to do, how close he was to safety, etc.

Last edited:
I was in that deluge and it was definitely a scary experience. Flooded intersections and raining so hard there was limited to zero visibility.

I had nothing to do with the context of those quotes, they were (almost) directly copied from ESPN comments. The last sentence of my post is the key. There will be a time to address the would haves, could haves, and should haves, and someday his example may save other lives. I just didn't think eighteen hours after the tragedy was the time. He was in an emergency life/death situation. It turned into a tragedy. Disgusting may be too a strong a word for that comment but insensitive definitely is not. That was someone's spouse, father, friend, etc. that lost his life last night. Saying what he could/should have done at this stage is pretty insensitive in my book. 98% of the people out there would have no idea how they would act and how quickly they would act in a situation like that unless it happened to them. We may never know exactly what he tried to do, how close he was to safety, etc.
It would be insensitive to say that directly to his spouse/family. But they didn't. That comment could save the life of the next person stranded in flood waters.
If you would be so kind as to publish a book of etiquette on the discussion of tragedies, it could really help. Thanks.

It would be insensitive to say that directly to his spouse/family. But they didn't. That comment could save the life of the next person stranded in flood waters.
If you would be so kind as to publish a book of etiquette on the discussion of tragedies, it could really help. Thanks.
I hope this tragedy, and the comment, do save one or more lives in the future. I wonder if the person who made that comment would have known what to do if that were his family in that van and he had seconds to make a life or death choice. The only book I'm going to publish is that I hope an incident like that never happens to my family, your family, or any one else's family. What would I have done in that situation? I don't have any idea. But I wouldn't have speculated less than 24 hours after the tragedy what should have been done on any forum. I would have given it more time. Speculating what should have been done isn't going to comfort the grievers now. If you see the ESPN comment as proper as long as it wasn't intended at family I could certainly buy that. It does send a strong public service message. If you see me as the pot meeting the kettle I will own that, too. I posted it. And I responded quickly and angrily to what I read.

Last edited:
I hope this tragedy does save one or more lives in the future. I wonder if the person who made that comment would have known what to do if that were his family in that van and he had seconds to make a life or death choice. The only book I going to publish is that I hope an incident like that never happens to my family, your family, or any one else's family. What would I have done in that situation? I don't have any idea. But I wouldn't have speculated less than 24 hours after the tragedy what should have been done on any forum. I would have given it more time. If you see the ESPN comment as proper as long as it wasn't intended at family I could certainly buy that. If you see me as the pot meeting the kettle I will own that, too. I posted it.

The internet appears to bring out the absolute worst in people

Common decency is ridiculed and despised

Really sorry to see Larry go. He was always enjoyable to listen to.....

220px-AlbumStrangeDays.jpg

:cool:

The internet appears to bring out the absolute worst in people

Common decency is ridiculed and despised

Really sorry to see Larry go. He was always enjoyable to listen to.....

220px-AlbumStrangeDays.jpg

:cool:
I think Larry took some flak for being a little more pro ISU than Iowa at times. But this was years and years ago back when I listened to him. It's been over 10 yrs since I heard him live on air I bet. To me he lived and worked in Des Moines. So to 'favor' for a lack of a better word the central Iowa programs shouldn't be a stretch and there's no reason to bash him for that when his audience was central Iowa. The guy was also huge on high school sports and was a huge state of Iowa sports fan. To speak a bad word of him is ridiculous.

I don't expect it but it doesn't make it any less disgusting. That was someone's spouse, father, friend, coworker, etc. Bitching about Fran or Kirk or Gary on these boards is one thing. This is different.
I don't disagree. Disgusting, but not surprising.

Here are some examples:

Dang, what is wrong with society? A sad reflection on the human race. I think on the internet, with zero accountability for what you write, you find out what is really in people's hearts. In too many cases, it ain't good. Have people really become this mean?

Anyway, horrible tragedy. It's really shocking when something like this happens. No one ever sees it coming.

I'm from Iowa originally of course, but live in Tampa, FL now and can tell you that in hurricane country, it's always the water/flooding that can be the deadliest, regardless of wind speeds hitting 100+ (sometimes 130-150+ with the nastiest storms). Just look at Hurricane Katrina. Water was the issue. Or the tsunamis that hit Indonesia on Christmas some years ago. Water is nature's most powerful force IMO. Definitely no joke.

Last edited: