Kudos to Pemsl, Evelyn, and Kriener

uihawk82

Pemsl and Evelyn played a lot of minutes and were on the positive side of the play and the box score. If Evelyn cut down on his turnovers he would have been real positive. Kriener forced into starting and he responded with a lot of big minutes especially with Garza getting in foul trouble. Big K with 10 points and 7 rebounds and a lot of defense and he didnt stumble around and turn it over much.

They helped big time with the win.

And we could have used some Pemsl minutes at Indiana, just saying make sure you have your license b4 you drive.

Not entirely sure why Fran went with Evelyn over Toussaint for that long but it worked out.

I thought Evelyn made some pretty bad plays including not boxing his guy out which led to a three in the first half. 3 turnovers.

He made an important 3 and knocked down some clutch free throws though.

Not entirely sure why Fran went with Evelyn over Toussaint for that long but it worked out.

I thought Evelyn made some pretty bad plays including not boxing his guy out which led to a three in the first half. 3 turnovers.

Somewhere in the last 10 minutes of the game or so JT went way too fast into the lane with nothing to do with the ball, turnover. Maybe Fran can take his shaky play in the first 30 minutes but I have noticed JT on the bench a lot in the last 10 minutes of games.

JT should be real good in the future but he can go too fast.

I tuned into the game with 17 min remaining. Evelyn entered the game and promptly made 2 turnovers, a foul, and missed a 4 ft gimme. How someone keeps their confidence up at that point I don't know -- I guess knowing JoeT was playing even worse -- but gotta hand it to the kid, those last 2 FTs were clutch and game winners!

Somewhere in the last 10 minutes of the game or so JT went way too fast into the lane with nothing to do with the ball, turnover. Maybe Fran can take his shaky play in the first 30 minutes but I have noticed JT on the bench a lot in the last 10 minutes of games.

JT should be real good in the future but he can go too fast.
I could be wrong but I think the shot clock was running down on that particular play.

I’m in no way saying Toussaint doesn’t make mistakes, just seemed Fran didn’t even give him a chance to make any today which interesting as Joe has had some really really good games (Rutgers, Wisconsin).

In the end we won so that’s all that matters.

I tuned into the game with 17 min remaining. Evelyn entered the game and promptly made 2 turnovers, a foul, and missed a 4 ft gimme. How someone keeps their confidence up at that point I don't know -- I guess knowing JoeT was playing even worse -- but gotta hand it to the kid, those last 2 FTs were clutch and game winners!
The thing is outside of one turnover Joe T didn’t do anything noticeably bad. He even hit a three. It was kind of weird. Of his 12 minutes played it probably included Iowa’s 8-0 run to start the game.

The thing is outside of one turnover Joe T didn’t do anything noticeably bad. He even hit a three. It was kind of weird. Of his 12 minutes played it probably included Iowa’s 8-0 run to start the game.

I think it's a trust factor late in games.

I think it's a trust factor late in games.
He played 12 minutes total though. I don’t disagree I just found it interesting.

To be honest he had the foul trouble in the 1H and then when he went out in the 2H I just think Fran felt Evelyn was comfortable in that game so he never went back in.

From a philosophical standpoint I think Fran always prioritizes offense. I think you could probably make the argument that Toussaint is our best defensive player. As I said this week he needs to be smart about how he plays on offense I compared him to Penn State’s Jamari Wheeler at this point. Less trying to create from him at this point. Set up the offense pass and move and lock up on defense.

He played 12 minutes total though. I don’t disagree I just found it interesting.

To be honest he had the foul trouble in the 1H and then when he went out in the 2H I just think Fran felt Evelyn was comfortable in that game so he never went back in.

From a philosophical standpoint I think Fran always prioritizes offense. I think you could probably make the argument that Toussaint is our best defensive player. As I said this week he needs to be smart about how he plays on offense I compared him to Penn State’s Jamari Wheeler at this point. Less trying to create from him at this point. Set up the offense pass and move and lock up on defense.

Yes, one of JT's first half fouls was when he doubled on a big man and the two hawks forced him into a baseline corner. But then JT got a little too aggressive and reached in and fouled bailing out the goofer. He just needed to play good position and make that guy make a tough pass etc

Not saying that JT plays bad defense, quite the opposite, he is a good one-on-one defender. But the lineup at the end held the Goofers scoreless over the last 5 minutes plus. And they had several turnovers. I think Evelyn plays pretty solid team defense and it was working so maybe Fran didn't want to mess with what was working?

Really appreciate Kreiner. This day and age of transfers grad transfers, declaring early etc, anytime someone stays 4 years is a huge plus. And his overall ‘production’ per minute is always solid throughout his career.

Hes nearing the end. Not a time to hold back. Time for a short memory, flushing mistakes.

Those two free throws were ice water in the veins. And he was active late on defense too.

I think teams have figured out that Joe T isn't going to hurt you from deep. They sag off him so much and double Joe W. or drop down on Garza. At least Evelyn is a threat out there.

I’ve been saying for a while, these guys are the most important guys in the team. Their play will dictate Iowa’s success this season. Yesterday they stepped up.

Latest posts