KOR Defense For Iowa this year

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
back to the standard...Iowa was 9th in the nation in fewest kickoff return yards allowed this year, something that was a staple of back in the 2001-2005 years.

Georgia Tech was 86th....allowing an average of 6 more yards per return than Iowa...there are 120 teams. They also allowed two KOR for TDs this year...only South Carolina allowed more than two, with three.

I'd agree that we must work very hard at KOR coverage and it shows. Murray's high kicks help this somewhat, however, they aren't nearly as high as Nate Kaeding's during his junior and senior year. There was almost NO chance for a return when Nate was finishing up at Iowa.

I'd agree that we must work very hard at KOR coverage and it shows. Murray's high kicks help this somewhat, however, they aren't nearly as high as Nate Kaeding's during his junior and senior year. There was almost NO chance for a return when Nate was finishing up at Iowa.

Nate would kick a kickoff through the uprights a lot of the time.

I think this has a lot to do with Murray's inability to get the ball truly deep on his kickoffs. It gives the opposing kick return team less room to setup, plus less room for the returner to actually set up his blocks and make his cut. But as long as we keep the returns short, I don't care how it happens!

back to the standard...Iowa was 9th in the nation in fewest kickoff return yards allowed this year, something that was a staple of back in the 2001-2005 years.

Georgia Tech was 86th....allowing an average of 6 more yards per return than Iowa...there are 120 teams. They also allowed two KOR for TDs this year...only South Carolina allowed more than two, with three.

In some ways this stat is a little miss leading, the real question is what yard line does the offense start from. We can have great cover and a bad kick and it doesn't really matter.

I do find it difficult to compare anyone to Nate Kaeding, so I won't. He is the best Iowa will ever have...period. He will be one of the best the NFL has ever had.

That said, Murray isn't good at kicking off and he or Mossbrucker need to be better next year.

Nate's greatness was not on distance, which he was good at even early in his career, but his 2002 and 2003 years he became a master at kicking it a mile high and landing between the 5 and the goal line. Those poor return guys would be straddling the goal line and look up to see the coverage already inside the 30. They would routinely get pummeled around the 15.

Nate would kick a kickoff through the uprights a lot of the time.

No, not really. What Nate Kaeding was very good at was........kicking the ball very high within a yard or two of the goal line. That gave the Kickoff tackling team plenty of time to RING up the ball carrier. Thus causing the opposition to have TERRIBLE starting field position on every kickoff.

I'd be more interested to see what our opponents' average starting position after kickoffs would be. KOR yards tells me only one piece of the puzzle.

If we're only kicking to the 20 yl and they're starting at the 35 every kick, well then that's not very impressive.

Nate's greatness was not on distance, which he was good at even early in his career, but his 2002 and 2003 years he became a master at kicking it a mile high and landing between the 5 and the goal line. Those poor return guys would be straddling the goal line and look up to see the coverage already inside the 30. They would routinely get pummeled around the 15.
^^^ bingo ^^^ you typed it for me

In some ways this stat is a little miss leading, the real question is what yard line does the offense start from. We can have great cover and a bad kick and it doesn't really matter.

I do find it difficult to compare anyone to Nate Kaeding, so I won't. He is the best Iowa will ever have...period. He will be one of the best the NFL has ever had.

That said, Murray isn't good at kicking off and he or Mossbrucker need to be better next year.

What about the grayshirt that will be at spring training this spring? If he can kick them high and deep, I would start him in the fall. He will only improve with Iowa's S/C training.

No, not really. What Nate Kaeding was very good at was........kicking the ball very high within a yard or two of the goal line. That gave the Kickoff tackling team plenty of time to RING up the ball carrier. Thus causing the opposition to have TERRIBLE starting field position on every kickoff.

Actually he did. I remember being at games in the south endzone and seeing it.

Latest posts