Kirk Ferentz Talks Offense in Indy

I saw another quote from KF where he was talking about the new offense, and said something like, Tim isn't inventing anything new and the kids are getting the offense down, but no matter the offense, you have to have good QB and line play to have any chance of being successful, and we haven't had that the last few years. That is a perfect summary of the terrible offense we have seen, and the hope that things will improve this coming year. Time will tell.

I saw another quote from KF where he was talking about the new offense, and said something like, Tim isn't inventing anything new and the kids are getting the offense down, but no matter the offense, you have to have good QB and line play to have any chance of being successful, and we haven't had that the last few years. That is a perfect summary of the terrible offense we have seen, and the hope that things will improve this coming year. Time will tell.

It is a weird situation. Kirk can on only say so much without ripping on his son. I realize he has to tap dance around a lot of shit when talking about the offense to the media. Personally, I am not going to judge until I see what Kirk will and won’t allow Tim Lester to do.

Kirk would be wise to let Tim Lester take over the offense. We can be a lot better than we were. We will also likely have some room to experiment in two of the first three games.

Again, in his entire career as a head coach, KF has never called the plays, rarely overrode his OC, and at best made decisions on whether to go for it on 4th. Certainly he sets the tone for the offense and game planning, but once the game begins, the OC calls the plays. That was true of BF as well as his predecessors.

By all accounts, Lester implemented his offense in the Spring. It was very different in terms of terminology and philosophy than what BF was running. Lester will be calling the plays during the games. Certainly KF will preach ball control, ball protection, and complimentary football philosophically, but I do not see it as a situation where KF is "letting" Lester do things or not do things. Lester will use his judgment as to what type of play and personnel are wise given game situations. If that means conservative, so be it. The offense is going to look very different and I believe will look at least functional.

I am excited to see Lester's offense.

What I expect from Iowa's 'new' offense: lots of pre-snap motion, lots of the same running plays, more passes in the flat to RBs to get them vs LBers in space. Nothing flashy, nothing dramatically different. There's really no rational reason to expect anything else.

What I expect from Iowa's 'new' offense: lots of pre-snap motion, lots of the same running plays, more passes in the flat to RBs to get them vs LBers in space. Nothing flashy, nothing dramatically different. There's really no rational reason to expect anything else.
Presnap motion and passing to the RBs a lot would be pretty different than the stoic offense that BF put onto the field. I agree its not going to be an air raid attack or a Kstate style spread run attack. It will still be run/pass balance and relatively conservative.

Just a modest amount of imagination and creativity coupled with some execution would look vastly different than Mount St. Hill and the Three and Out Gang.

Again, in his entire career as a head coach, KF has never called the plays, rarely overrode his OC, and at best made decisions on whether to go for it on 4th. Certainly he sets the tone for the offense and game planning, but once the game begins, the OC calls the plays. That was true of BF as well as his predecessors.

By all accounts, Lester implemented his offense in the Spring. It was very different in terms of terminology and philosophy than what BF was running. Lester will be calling the plays during the games. Certainly KF will preach ball control, ball protection, and complimentary football philosophically, but I do not see it as a situation where KF is "letting" Lester do things or not do things. Lester will use his judgment as to what type of play and personnel are wise given game situations. If that means conservative, so be it. The offense is going to look very different and I believe will look at least functional.

I am excited to see Lester's offense.
There you go again, making sense.