KF's NFL mentality gives us the highs and the lows

BSpringsteen

KF is an NFL coach. He doesn't believe in schemes, or adjustments. He believes in doing what you do and trying to out muscle, out execute and out heart the other team. In the NFL, the west coast offense was considered a scheme, basically everyone plays the exact same way.

This is why you see teams get coached up to 9 and 10 win seasons under KF, and also the same reason why 10 and 11 win teams disappoint to 8 and 9 win teams.

Bottom line, we are an 8 win program. Sometime's we get lucky like last year, and other times when the stars align, and we should be an 11 win team, we are still an 8 win team.

Ferentz does not know how to motivate his players. That is evident. These kids are 18-22 years old, they aren't able to motivate themselves yet. Thats why we get beat by all these loudmouth, emotional type coaches.. They KNOW that this is college football, where emotion becomes a BIG factor in winning games.

You are right, Ferentz takes that NFL mentality and must expect his players to motivate themselves..

This is a good thread and I agree. A stubborn refusal to make adjustments (especially on defense) might work when you have NFL-like players (tOSU comes to mind...Tressel does more or less the same thing), but I wonder if it will work here...

That being said, on the question of emotion, I am extremely happy to have Kirk and not some idiot hot-head like Fitzgerald or Lynch or Dantonio...if for nothing else because they make their teams look idiotic.

This is a good thread and I agree. A stubborn refusal to make adjustments (especially on defense) might work when you have NFL-like players (tOSU comes to mind...Tressel does more or less the same thing), but I wonder if it will work here...

That being said, on the question of emotion, I am extremely happy to have Kirk and not some idiot hot-head like Fitzgerald or Lynch or Dantonio...if for nothing else because they make their teams look idiotic.

Grandma-IMO Tressel will bring a spread package to Iowa City next week because he wrote the beat Iowa blueprint in their preparation for the 2006 game. You can pick on Fitz, and Dantonio all you want, but the product on the field shows that Fitz is a much better game manager and game planer than KF (based on head to head matchups), and Dantonio has no issues trying to win games.

If you think that NFL teams don't scheme or make adjustments then I would have to think that you have no idea what you are talking about.

I don't know.... at the end of the day, IA doesn't have the talent to blow teams out, and eventually that catches up with you.

ARob is NOT a top-tier D1 running back. He has the heart and determination, but is too slow.

That's just one example.

They make adjustments in the NFL, they have schemes.

I'd say the NFL attitude of "there's always the next game" is the bigger issue. It's college football: EVERY game matters, and you can't take a week off.

I just can't get the thought out of my head that in the NFL world 8-4 is a perfectly fine season that puts you in the playoffs. I just don't think his make up is capable of 12 straight weeks of intensity and being a good football team in August and November.

They make adjustments in the NFL, they have schemes.

I'd say the NFL attitude of "there's always the next game" is the bigger issue. It's college football: EVERY game matters, and you can't take a week off.

They didn't take a week off. I guarantee you they prepared to the best of their abilities.

However, Northwestern (and their scheme) is one step ahead of Ferentz and his staff, and it has been our downfall 5 of 6 years.

I just can't get the thought out of my head that in the NFL world 8-4 is a perfectly fine season that puts you in the playoffs. I just don't think his make up is capable of 12 straight weeks of intensity and being a good football team in August and November.[/QUOTE]

I'd love to know which college coaches have figured out a foolproof way to play their best game every week for 12 straight games.

I just can't get the thought out of my head that in the NFL world 8-4 is a perfectly fine season that puts you in the playoffs. I just don't think his make up is capable of 12 straight weeks of intensity and being a good football team in August and November.[/QUOTE]

I'd love to know which college coaches have figured out a foolproof way to play their best game every week for 12 straight games.

I couldn't agree w/ you more. As much as people hate Lou Holtz, he has always made the statement that in college you never coach the same team 2 wks in a row. You very seldom, if ever, see teams "up" for 12-13 straight wks.

Relatedly, Homer made the comment IA's seemingly vanilla, conservative, NFL-esque schemes allow IA to play w/ anybody. I'd argue those same vanilla, conservative, NFL-esque schemes allow anybody to play w/ IA, most notably seemingly less talented IU and NW teams.

They didn't take a week off. I guarantee you they prepared to the best of their abilities.

And yet, this preparation apparently involves the same game plan, regardless of what the opponent does. Even when we know that we struggle with some opponents year after year.

That is taking a week off.

The NFL mentality is why Iowa will go to bowl games most years and the occasional "big" bowl.

It is also why Iowa will never be a serious threat to win the BCS National title and will never go to the Rose Bowl.

My question is why can't KF realize that he needs someone who can push him on that mentality on his staff. As I said in another thread, he NEEDS a COO, a right hand man that is a game manager and fires the kids up.

Latest posts