KF and KOK please watch Boise offense

hawkeye2011

Spare me the talk of how Boise couldn't line up in the Big10 week after week/they don't play anybody argument. That is a different thread.

If you think Boise is "gimmicky" on offense then get a clue before responding.

They are very sound, and very systematic.

Offensively they are fantastic and an easy jump for the Iowa offense to make. This isn't a quantum leap to an Okie St or Oregon type offense.

They are so multiple and find so many ways to get the numbers adavntage. Very explosive and yet at the same time are very physical if they choose. They don't have a dual threat QB that everybody is creaming their jeans for.

What they have is a very multiple offense that Iowa should be able to replicate and it isn't that much of an identity switch.

I hope Kirk is here forever, but he needs to look at his real mentor in Bill Belichick. Belichick has evolved as a coach who is much less risk averse than KF and has been willing to change his identity drastically on offense.

Belichick's fingerprints are all over the Ferentz program from a program building philosophy, but not schematically.

That is all.

Spare me the talk of how Boise couldn't line up in the Big10 week after week/they don't play anybody argument. That is a different thread.

Offensively they are fantastic and an easy jump for the Iowa offense to make. This isn't a quantum leap to an Okie St or Oregon type offense.

They are so multiple and find so many ways to get the numbers adavntage. Very explosive and yet at the same time are very physical if they choose. They don't have a dual threat QB that everybody is creaming their jeans for.

What they have is a very multiple offense that Iowa should be able to replicate and it isn't that much of an identity switch.

I hope Kirk is here forever, but he needs to look at his real mentor in Bill Belichick. Belichick has evolved as a coach who is much less risk averse than KF and has been willing to change his identity drastically on offense.

Belichick's fingerprints are all over the Ferentz program from a program building philosophy, but not schematically.

That is all.

Great post. I could not agree more. The offense is the complete problem with this program and needs to change. There is no reason we couldn't be like Boise, at least from an offensive nature. However, i would be not surprised, but shocked to see any meaningful change in our slow,methodical, predictable, 1980's offense. If we have at least 4 pros on offense then we can move the ball. If not, then we are looking at 21-17 games at best, and hoping to beat iowa st. and minnesota. Frankly, it is quite disheartening when compared to some other supposed lesser programs' offenses

Boise Sate plays a very ground and pound version of the spread and seems to work very well. I think that offense would do good in the Big 10.

Its an exciting team to watch. However, half their players wouldn't qualify in the b1g.

OK. Personnel isn't the problem. They do put more of a premium on speed in recruiting than we do perhaps, but our personnel and recruiting ability are in not limiting factors with running that style of offense.

It's an identity/scheme issue. Not a talent issue (entirely).

You can't honestly believe in the Fiesta Bowl that BSU had more talent than Oklahoma can you?

Its an exciting team to watch. However, half their players wouldn't qualify in the b1g.
OK. Personnel isn't the problem. They do put more of a premium on speed in recruiting than we do perhaps, but our personnel and recruiting ability are in not limiting factors with running that style of offense. It's an identity/scheme issue. Not a talent issue (entirely). You can't honestly believe in the Fiesta Bowl that BSU had more talent than Oklahoma can you?

You honestly think we are going to scrap everything and change our philosophys??? Bosie would not be a one loss team in a major conference.

You honestly think we are going to scrap everything and change our philosophys??? Bosie would not be a one loss team in a major conference.

Can you read?

Do I think we will change? No.

Would we have to "scrap everything" to get to what Boise does? No. Not even close. They are very Wisconsin-ish. Not. A. Big. Departure.

Boise State would be a very formidable member of any conference the past several years. Don't kid yourself. One loss? I can partially agree with you there but I wouldn't put it out of the realm of possibility on occasion.

Once again we have people comparing our current offense to our 80's offenses. Folks, the way we look at Boise and Oregon is the way people looked at us in the 80's. It's a huge slap in the face to compare this offensive philosophy to Bill Snyder and Hayden Fry. Look what the guy is still doing at the age of 97 at Kansas State. They resurrected his corpse and he can still run a great offense. Use space. Use space. Use space. Use space. This what good offenses do and this is what they've been doing for a long long time. We do not.

What they have is a very multiple offense

The quoted part of the OP was the crux of a post I made a couple years ago, when Boise had a similar primetime regular season game. They are remarkable because of their multiplicity...yet despite their ability to "shape-shift" their offense, they do it all so well.

In addition, say what you will about the Boise schedule...how they only have to "get up" for 3-4 games per year. That means they've got 8-9 games where they could certainly let their preparation slip, let their guard down, let their concentration down a little bit and get bitten by a lesser opponent. But they simply don't. When they are supposed to handle their business, they do so, and usually in a resounding manner.

Kellen Moore is 50-3 (that's not a misprint; they lost to TCU twice by a point and that infamous game where their kicker missed 1 FG to win and 1 FG to send the game to a 2nd OT against Nevada) as a starter. That is absolutely filthy.

The quoted part of the OP was the crux of a post I made a couple years ago, when Boise had a similar primetime regular season game. They are remarkable because of their multiplicity...yet despite their ability to "shape-shift" their offense, they do it all so well.

In addition, say what you will about the Boise schedule...how they only have to "get up" for 3-4 games per year. That means they've got 8-9 games where they could certainly let their preparation slip, let their guard down, let their concentration down a little bit and get bitten by a lesser opponent. But they simply don't. When they are supposed to handle their business, they do so, and usually in a resounding manner.

Kellen Moore is 50-3 (that's not a misprint; they lost to TCU twice by a point and that infamous game where their kicker missed 1 FG to win and 1 FG to send the game to a 2nd OT against Nevada) as a starter. That is absolutely filthy.

Too funny. The weird, wacky world of the interwebz is the only place you'll find stuff like this: you've successfully made it sound as though playing a softer schedule is actually tougher than playing a harder schedule. I applaud you, sir.

Too funny. The weird, wacky world of the interwebz is the only place you'll find stuff like this: you've successfully made it sound as though playing a softer schedule is actually tougher than playing a harder schedule. I applaud you, sir.
After reading through that, it does almost sound like that's what I'm saying. LOL...certainly not my intention. What I'm trying to say is that Boise never seems to have their "Iowa v. Minnesota" moment (and certainly not twice in a row)...how Peterson keeps his guys from losing focus in games they are favored to win easily is extremely impressive.

Ricky S. was 26-9 as a starter...But it was the defense and he had good players around him and we run a crappy offense and Boise St. plays good competition all the time and they could make it in any conference...and blah blah blah.....

Kirk is a smart man, I'm sure he's thought about changing the offense before. Just needs kids that can take charge.

That is all.

I hear what your saying but New England hasn't won a championship since the end of their uber conservative dynasty in 2005. Yes they went to the Super Bowl in 2008 with a prolific offense but were beaten by probably the most Ferentz-like coach in the NFL, Tom Coughlin.

Iowa does not need a change in offense. It is the philosophy of the staff that ruffles the feathers of the fan base. Fans want to see the spread out operate in space with 50 different formations offense and Kirk doesn't want that so here we are? You can run the multiple sets and spread teams out in the Pro Style offense we have.

Iowa does not need a change in offense. It is the philosophy of the staff that ruffles the feathers of the fan base. Fans want to see the spread out operate in space with 50 different formations offense and Kirk doesn't want that so here we are? You can run the multiple sets and spread teams out in the Pro Style offense we have.

Exactly. That would be Boise St.

Iowa does need some slight changes. I am not calling for a true spread. But the reason we falter so often against talented defenses is partially systematic and partially talent right now. One of the two has to chamge or both slightly.

Latest posts