Keys to Hawkeyes Flipping Script Against No. 17 Purdue

Playing better defense, especially around the perimeter, is probably the biggest key. Purdue shot out of their minds last game, but Iowa also made it easy on them with plenty of open looks.

Purdue is good. It won't be easy. Need Pemsl and Cook to give them a taste of their own medicine.

Rob, this has to be one of the best articles I have read in a good, long while.

I agree with what you said, particularly about how we need to play better defense.

Keep up the great work.

Hawks' strategy needs to be exactly the same as at PU:
1) Focus on Swanigan / Haas on both ends (pack 'em and attack 'em).
2) Play the law of averages that Mathias & #3 won't go crazy (7 - 3's for 54%)
3) Make a damn shot.

While the perimeter D needs to be better (When in the last 30 years hasn't Iowa's perimeter D needed to be better?) you can't all of a sudden turn your focus to their guards. Do that and the only script that will be flipt is that their big quys are the ones destroying Iowa in the 1st half.

Purdue is a very good, all-around team. Complete teams, especially those that work inside-out, are just a bad match-up for Iowa. The match up hasn't changed. The biggest difference is Carver and that Purdue won't play so well that they beat Iowa at every position. Boils 80 - Hawks 71.

( Enjoy a good game; look for continued improvement; take the moral victory and run; set sights on 2018; rinse and repeat against most top-50 teams, this season. )

6. Get Purdue away from home. This is especially important for a young team starting 4 freshmen. Young players typically play much better at home.

Purdue has played 2 true road games. They lost at Louisville 71-64. They won at Ohio State (0-4 in conference play) 76-75. When a team has only played 2 true road games out of 17 games played and is 1-1 I think there are still questions about just how good they are.

I'll take the Hawks 74-69.

6. Get Purdue away from home. This is especially important for a young team starting 4 freshmen. Young players typically play much better at home.

Purdue has played 2 true road games. They lost at Louisville 71-64. They won at Ohio State (0-4 in conference play) 76-75. When a team has only played 2 true road games out of 17 games played and is 1-1 I think there are still questions about just how good they are.

I'll take the Hawks 74-69.

So true. People tend to assume that how a team plays against Iowa is how they play in general. I would wager the first 7 minutes against Iowa was by far the best stretch of basketball Purdue has played, and will play, all year. They looked unbeatable for that stretch and that's all Iowa fans remember.

Latest posts