Key for any success yet this season

FrozenMadman

Just my opininon (obviously). I am over the ISU debacle (sort of). Time to move on.

So, what, if anything, do we have on this team that is most likely to be unstoppable in the game of college football? The answer as I see it is in our WR's and TE's. Pass the ball 75%+. Basically FORGET the running game. Our OL just isn't that good at blowing people off the ball.

McNutt is an early 2nd round draft pick. The best weapon we have, by far. Throw his way no less than 15 - 16 times per game. We have to have him involved early and often to have a chance at success. (Too few balls his way last week.)

CJF. I don't care if the kid can block or not, get his *** on the field full time! At 6'-7", 255 lbs+ he is a nightmare for opposing DBs as a pass threat. Split him out, there's no need for his hand on the turf, and watch the fun as opponents try to stop him. 10+ passes per game his way. Even if these were quick 3 yd hitches he will get another 5 before anyone takes him down.

Herman. Remember the days of old, i.e. Hayden Fry. Send him right down the middle. It use to be bread and butter for us. 10 - 15 yds straight down the middle. He has good enough hands for a few of these. We NEVER run this play anymore! Why?

Keenan. A decent college receiver, good hands. 8-10 passes his way. Run him across the middle, repeatedly, only then can he separate, break free of man to man covearge and get open to make a catch.

Coker. With the bulk of the plays going downfield he would be in to help out blocking most of the time, but he will occasionlly be able to catch a few in the flats. 4 -5 times per game. He is decent runner in the open field, plus a load to take on one-on-one. He can carry the ball 8-10 times otherwise. With a pass happy attack he would not be facing 9 man fronts, and perhaps can break a few of these for long runs. The remaining runs, 4 - 6, can be quarterback draws with Vandenburg - and he has to learn to slide.

The wildcard. Damon Bullock. I know, I know. I just have a hunch this kid is good. I was greatly impressed with his HS film and I believe the coaches have a gut feeling about him as well (he was out there the first play against TT). As a split out he need 5 -6 passes a game. If not Bullock , then DeAndre Johnson. Ferentz won't play Canzeri this year.

Our defense sucks. The only way we win is to outscore people. Similar to Michigan the last few years. To do so we have to open up in a HUGE way. I further suggest making KOK chug 12 energy drinks 30 minutes prior to the game, and lets see what the Hawks can do.

Face it. If we play like we have the past few years, with this personnel, we are looking at a 2 win season. Time for a radical change, now.

Just my opininon (obviously). I am over the ISU debacle (sort of). Time to move on.

So, what, if anything, do we have on this team that is most likely to be unstoppable in the game of college football? The answer as I see it is in our WR's and TE's. Pass the ball 75%+. Basically FORGET the running game. Our OL just isn't that good at blowing people off the ball.

McNutt is an early 2nd round draft pick. The best weapon we have, by far. Throw his way no less than 15 - 16 times per game. We have to have him involved early and often to have a chance at success. (Too few balls his way last week.)

CJF. I don't care if the kid can block or not, get his *** on the field full time! At 6'-7", 255 lbs+ he is a nightmare for opposing DBs as a pass threat. Split him out, there's no need for his hand on the turf, and watch the fun as opponents try to stop him. 10+ passes per game his way. Even if these were quick 3 yd hitches he will get another 5 before anyone takes him down.

Herman. Remember the days of old, i.e. Hayden Fry. Send him right down the middle. It use to be bread and butter for us. 10 - 15 yds straight down the middle. He has good enough hands for a few of these. We NEVER run this play anymore! Why?

Keenan. A decent college receiver, good hands. 8-10 passes his way. Run him across the middle, repeatedly, only then can he separate, break free of man to man covearge and get open to make a catch.

Coker. With the bulk of the plays going downfield he would be in to help out blocking most of the time, but he will occasionlly be able to catch a few in the flats. 4 -5 times per game. He is decent runner in the open field, plus a load to take on one-on-one. He can carry the ball 8-10 times otherwise. With a pass happy attack he would not be facing 9 man fronts, and perhaps can break a few of these for long runs. The remaining runs, 4 - 6, can be quarterback draws with Vandenburg - and he has to learn to slide.

The wildcard. Damon Bullock. I know, I know. I just have a hunch this kid is good. I was greatly impressed with his HS film and I believe the coaches have a gut feeling about him as well (he was out there the first play against TT). As a split out he need 5 -6 passes a game. If not Bullock , then DeAndre Johnson. Ferentz won't play Canzeri this year.

Our defense sucks. The only way we win is to outscore people. Similar to Michigan the last few years. To do so we have to open up in a HUGE way. I further suggest making KOK chug 12 energy drinks 30 minutes prior to the game, and lets see what the Hawks can do.

Face it. If we play like we have the past few years, with this personnel, we are looking at a 2 win season. Time for a radical change, now.

Over react much. Calm down. Your scenario is not going to happen unless all of our RBs go down. It'll be ok.

2 win season? Are you offering odds on that? Or are you just gonna run your mouth like the rest of the crybabies?

his name is frozen madman...i think the name fits

we lose ONE game and you're talking about completely overhauling the last 12 years? crazy talk madman, crazy talk

Or we could have the o-line stand backwards in their stances and make the defense count to three before they can rush. . . . It makes as much sense as what you are saying.

I love that our most glaring problem gets a tiny paragraph as a second to the last point.

And yes, you are way overreacting.

Week three and some have officially lost it...

So we abandoned our livelihood so to speak this year to salvage a few wins, as you would seem to infer. Then what next year? Throw a bunch of kids one year older out there in our traditional system having not played in it? Or do we adopt this wide open look for good even though Iowa has never gotten the influx of talent at the skill positions it takes to pull off? Interesting idea, I guess it could work.

Last edited:

Wow....Our d looks bad because KF and KOK force them to be on the field the whole game because there is not a pair of balls between the two of them.

The only way we win games is if our d plays lights out. KF and KOK basically do as little as possible on offense and hope the defense can pick up a bunch of turnovers.

Uh huh...Throw to McNutt 15-16 times a game. Keenan 8-10 times. 5 more to Coker. Plus the TE's. So you propose to pass 30+ times a game?

Scratch the defense because they gave up 24 points in regulation play and lost a game in 3 overtimes. Forget that they fought hard because they made mistakes. Forget that Coker ran for 140 yards. And is likely to break a hundred tomorrow. Just scrap the things that the team spent spring and fall camp working on. One game and the season is over?

Here are some things you might not be aware of; the world is not flat. Aluminum foil hats don't protect you from aliens. Bugs Bunny is not a great actor, he's a cartoon character. Knowing the names of the chess pieces does not make you a chess master.

Latest posts