Keegan Murray Co-B1G Player of Week

Everyone raves on the points Murray scores but defensively he's been rock solid as well. He had 2 blocks and 3 steals against Nebraska while guarding McGowens, their top player (projected 1st round pick), without a single foul being called on him.

This was a no brainer. I would hate to meet the player who had a better week in conference.

Let's hope his game continues to be strong as we face some stiffer competition this week.

Keegan Murray Tabbed Naismith Trophy Player of the Week

IOWA CITY, Iowa --
University of Iowa men’s basketball sophomore Keegan Murray was selected as the Naismith Trophy Player of the Week on Monday for his efforts in a pair of Hawkeye victories last week.

The last Iowa men’s basketball player to earn a Naismith Trophy Player of the Week honor was Luka Garza a year ago on Feb. 22, 2021.

Murray (6-foot-8, 225 pounds) helped propel the Hawkeyes to comfortable victories at Maryland (110-87) on Feb. 10 and at home against Nebraska (98-75) on Feb. 13. Murray averaged 33.5 points, 6.5 rebounds, two blocks, and 1.5 steals in the two contests.

Against the Terrapins, Murray tallied 30 points, seven rebounds, and a game-best two blocked shots. He shot a blistering 12-of-14 from the field, including 2-of-3 from 3-point range.

Murray poured in a game and career-best 37 points, six rebounds, and a game bests in steals (3) and blocks (2) against the Huskers. The 37 points are believed to be the third most by any men’s basketball player in Carver-Hawkeye Arena’s 39-year history (45 by Brian Quinnett of Washington State in 1986; 41 by Iowa’s Luka Garza in 2020). The 37 points tie the highest point total by a Big Ten player in a game this season (Kofi Cockburn and Johnny Davis).

Murray is the first Hawkeye to score 30+ points in back-to-back Big Ten games since Matt Gatens 10 years ago in 2012 (30 vs. Indiana and 33 vs. Wisconsin).

Murray, who is the only NCAA Division I player this season averaging 23+ points, 8+ rebounds, and 2+ blocks, has netted 25+ points an NCAA-best 11 times this season. He has tallied 30+ points four times, the most by any underclassman in a single season in program history.

Murray ranks third in the nation in points per game and his 23.3 scoring average is most of any player from a major conference. Murray has increased his scoring average by 16.1 points from last year, which is the highest increase from one season to the next since Illinois’ Rick Schmidt boasted his scoring average by 17.6 points from 1973-74.

Iowa (17-7, 7-6) faces Michigan (13-10, 7-6) on Thursday at 6:01 p.m. (CT) on Mediacom Court at Carver-Hawkeye Arena in Iowa City. Tickets are available for purchase at hawkeyesports.com/tickets.

Keegan Murray Tabbed Naismith Trophy Player of the Week

IOWA CITY, Iowa --
University of Iowa men’s basketball sophomore Keegan Murray was selected as the Naismith Trophy Player of the Week on Monday for his efforts in a pair of Hawkeye victories last week.

The last Iowa men’s basketball player to earn a Naismith Trophy Player of the Week honor was Luka Garza a year ago on Feb. 22, 2021.

Murray (6-foot-8, 225 pounds) helped propel the Hawkeyes to comfortable victories at Maryland (110-87) on Feb. 10 and at home against Nebraska (98-75) on Feb. 13. Murray averaged 33.5 points, 6.5 rebounds, two blocks, and 1.5 steals in the two contests.

Against the Terrapins, Murray tallied 30 points, seven rebounds, and a game-best two blocked shots. He shot a blistering 12-of-14 from the field, including 2-of-3 from 3-point range.

Murray poured in a game and career-best 37 points, six rebounds, and a game bests in steals (3) and blocks (2) against the Huskers. The 37 points are believed to be the third most by any men’s basketball player in Carver-Hawkeye Arena’s 39-year history (45 by Brian Quinnett of Washington State in 1986; 41 by Iowa’s Luka Garza in 2020). The 37 points tie the highest point total by a Big Ten player in a game this season (Kofi Cockburn and Johnny Davis).

Murray is the first Hawkeye to score 30+ points in back-to-back Big Ten games since Matt Gatens 10 years ago in 2012 (30 vs. Indiana and 33 vs. Wisconsin).

Murray, who is the only NCAA Division I player this season averaging 23+ points, 8+ rebounds, and 2+ blocks, has netted 25+ points an NCAA-best 11 times this season. He has tallied 30+ points four times, the most by any underclassman in a single season in program history.

Murray ranks third in the nation in points per game and his 23.3 scoring average is most of any player from a major conference. Murray has increased his scoring average by 16.1 points from last year, which is the highest increase from one season to the next since Illinois’ Rick Schmidt boasted his scoring average by 17.6 points from 1973-74.

Iowa (17-7, 7-6) faces Michigan (13-10, 7-6) on Thursday at 6:01 p.m. (CT) on Mediacom Court at Carver-Hawkeye Arena in Iowa City. Tickets are available for purchase at hawkeyesports.com/tickets.

This is really a Big Deal, Rob

Keegan is as smooth as any player I have ever watched, effortless and instinctive

Jamal Wilkes/Silk and Grant Hill were similar

So he's sharing the BIG weekly award but not the National one? Weird... If ever there's a week for him to not be sharing it this should be the one. Good grief. And totally agree with ssckelley Murrays D can't be ignored. He's not just a volume efficient scorer. Which that in and of itself is big time impressive.

His defense and all around floor game is why I think he's actually a bigger asset to the team than Luka was. Crazy to think Luka was a once in a generation talent that we might never seen again, and then he's outdone the very next year.

Wieskamp could have been an alltime great too if he didn't play with Garza. Imagine a lineup of Bohannon, Wieskamp, Patrick, Keegan, and Nunge this year. We would be competing for a conference championship right now. Hell we are a stupid foul call and overtime win against Rutgers and a missed 3 in OT against Penn State from being one game out of 1st place right now, crazy enough.

Wieskamp could have been an alltime great too if he didn't play with Garza. Imagine a lineup of Bohannon, Wieskamp, Patrick, Keegan, and Nunge this year. We would be competing for a conference championship right now. Hell we are a stupid foul call and overtime win against Rutgers and a missed 3 in OT against Penn State from being one game out of 1st place right now, crazy enough.
I almost hate you for providing that what coulda been scenario... Good golly that lineup would do some damage. Kris, JT Perkins Sandafort coming off the bench. They'd have been the team to beat I would think. It'd be interesting to see if Murray would score the same way he has I assume he'd be closer to 18ish instead but hell who knows.

I almost hate you for providing that what coulda been scenario... Good golly that lineup would do some damage. Kris, JT Perkins Sandafort coming off the bench. They'd have been the team to beat I would think. It'd be interesting to see if Murray would score the same way he has I assume he'd be closer to 18ish instead but hell who knows.
Sorry about that. We would be sitting with 4 losses right now, worst case. It's even possible we could have stolen another game with Nunge rebounding. Our schedule is really tough down the stretch so it's unlikely we could have pulled off a championship. But we would probably at least be in the running until the last week of the year. It would have meant a pretty high ranking all year and a lot more pub for the program. It would have meant another legit shot at a sweet 16. Hell, if you're right that Murray would have had worse numbers, maybe it would have meant him coming back next year to be the man. Probably not on that one because it's way more than his numbers that make him a lottery pick.

Keegan made the comment in the post game interview that it’s easier to have a good game when you don’t get in early foul trouble. As others and commentators have mentioned his defense is becoming a bigger and bigger story. If he continues to shut down opponents star players that’s going to be huge. Garza often struggled on the defensive end. I’m curious to see him match up with Liddell from OSU but I’m guessing Fran puts Rebraca on him.

That's some serious talent that very well could have been on the floor right now. Hats off to Fran, pretty hard to argue against his overall recruiting.

Would have been an awesome lineup but fifty other schools in the country can play that game as well. Think of this current Illinois team with Dosunmo just to name one example.

Also Wieskamp and Patrick played pretty much the same position. Perhaps a healthy CJ was the fifth piece you were thinking of.

Would have been an awesome lineup but fifty other schools in the country can play that game as well. Think of this current Illinois team with Dosunmo just to name one example.

Also Wieskamp and Patrick played pretty much the same position. Perhaps a healthy CJ was the fifth piece you were thinking of.
True but I'm sure their fans also think "what if". CJ would be fine too, but I would much rather have Wieskamp at the 2 than CJ.

We lost two guys to the NBA that everyone agrees should have jumped. Both are having relatively good success.

CJ and Nunge were losses. Of those two, you could argue that CJ was not much of a loss. He was talented, but always hurt and he is once again out for the season. So, we can't say the same thing would not have happened at Iowa. Kid has a glass jaw. (And, he is not a very forthcoming teammate).

No question Nunge was a loss. He is having a great year at xavier. They appear to be in a very similar situation as a team to Iowa and Jack has been a big part of that. Good for him. He understandably wanted to play closer to home due to family issues. But, he was snake bit at Iowa on injuries and who know how he would have done this year. If Nunge stayed, Flip does not come to Iowa and I doubt that Kris Murray would have emerged. Overall, the could shoulda woulda game is interesting, but Fran has this team reloaded and ready to compete in March with the loss of 4 high quality starters. That is remarkable.