K-State using about 24 jucos per Game Day

uihawk82

As reported/mentioned by Chris Fowler just a minute ago. That is one way to fill holes and build your program.

And if you have 24 jucos you probably took a few scholarships away from recruits from earlier years.

I just dont think KF likes to take away scholarships.

Does anyone know of any scholarships KF actually did not renew from one year to the next, based on playing ability (not counting guys deciding to leave on their own)?

I would be interested to find out, bet it is less than 5.

I do not remember KF ever taking a scholarship away from a player unless it was for conduct non football related.

K-State has always been JUCO U...that's why I never understood the "If K-State can create an elite program" argument...just from an apples to oranges standpoint. The one real comparison would be Nebraska and that always seems to get met with "Well, they have 'tradition' in Lincoln"...well you know what? Osborne created that tradition, they weren't born into it and Iowa has missed its opportunities to go "next level" time after time...and that's not all on Kirk, Hayden had his chances too, but back then, Hayden's level seemed PRETTY damn good even though we couldn't win a Rose Bowl.

Edit: I know there was a coach before Osborne who started it all...but I can't think of his name and don't care enough to look it up, but Tom kept it rolling and built it way up.

I do not remember KF ever taking a scholarship away from a player unless it was for conduct non football related.
I don't either...I believe he even lets guys who decide to quit football to concentrate on academics to stay on scholly...or is that just when they leave the team because of injuries but want to stay in school?

K-State has always been JUCO U...that's why I never understood the "If K-State can create an elite program" argument...just from an apples to oranges standpoint. The one real comparison would be Nebraska and that always seems to get met with "Well, they have 'tradition' in Lincoln"...well you know what? Osborne created that tradition, they weren't born into it and Iowa has missed its opportunities to go "next level" time after time...and that's not all on Kirk, Hayden had his chances too, but back then, Hayden's level seemed PRETTY damn good even though we couldn't win a Rose Bowl.

Edit: I know there was a coach before Osborne who started it all...but I can't think of his name and don't care enough to look it up, but Tom kept it rolling and built it way up.

Let me help you Shane.

Bob Devaney won 2 national titles and his winning percentage was just a shade below Osborne's.

.829 vs .836

Love me that Husker red! Not really.

I don't either...I believe he even lets guys who decide to quit football to concentrate on academics to stay on scholly...or is that just when they leave the team because of injuries but want to stay in school?

I believe an injured player gives up the athletic scholarship but can get an academic one which many have.

Again I like KF for doing this but I think when players leave the team they need to look at a few jucos a year to fill some holes and give immediate help.

We need help at wide receiver, running back and cornerback.

I believe an injured player gives up the athletic scholarship but can get an academic one which many have.

Again I like KF for doing this but I think when players leave the team they need to look at a few jucos a year to fill some holes and give immediate help.

We need help at wide receiver, running back and cornerback.
I agree here...instead of fall back, unrated recruits who run a 4.67-40 at WR or CB, why not grab some JUCOs who grade out better with more speed to fill those spots? Who cares if you only have 4 or so of them for 2 or 3 years instead of 4 guys who may never see the field or aren't going to help you if they do, for 4 or 5 years?

You are welcome Shane.

This is from Nov. 7 C.R. Gazzette online:

3) The whole juco thing
— It’s not that Ferentz is closed to the idea of junior-college transfers. Quite the opposite, actually. Iowa brought in QB Cody Sokol and OL Eric Simmons last January.
Trends do say, however, that Iowa prefers four-year players. Going by the makeup of the five classes on this year’s team: In 2011, Iowa signed OL Dan Heiar, who left the team. Before that, you have to go back to ’08 for another juco, RB Nate Guillory, who also left the team.
“The reality of it is, and I’m going off my history at this school, junior college players don’t, as a rule, always transition in as well,” Ferentz said. “That hasn’t been our mode. but there are some schools where it’s probably more workable.”
The regional comparison here is Kansas State. Coach Bill Snyder has the Wildcats ranked No. 2 in the BCS standings this week. The 29 junior college players, the most among FBS-level programs, have certainly been a building block.
The state of Kansas also is a more lively juco football environment. Eight schools have football programs there compared to just three in Iowa.
“I’ve never said we wouldn’t look at a juco,” Ferentz said. Given the fact that there are fewer junior colleges in Iowa and “transitioning well” is cautionary, don’t expect a bounty.

Again KF playing it way too conservatively.

You are welcome Shane.

This is from Nov. 7 C.R. Gazzette online:

3) The whole juco thing
— It’s not that Ferentz is closed to the idea of junior-college transfers. Quite the opposite, actually. Iowa brought in QB Cody Sokol and OL Eric Simmons last January.
Trends do say, however, that Iowa prefers four-year players. Going by the makeup of the five classes on this year’s team: In 2011, Iowa signed OL Dan Heiar, who left the team. Before that, you have to go back to ’08 for another juco, RB Nate Guillory, who also left the team.
“The reality of it is, and I’m going off my history at this school, junior college players don’t, as a rule, always transition in as well,” Ferentz said. “That hasn’t been our mode. but there are some schools where it’s probably more workable.”
The regional comparison here is Kansas State. Coach Bill Snyder has the Wildcats ranked No. 2 in the BCS standings this week. The 29 junior college players, the most among FBS-level programs, have certainly been a building block.
The state of Kansas also is a more lively juco football environment. Eight schools have football programs there compared to just three in Iowa.
“I’ve never said we wouldn’t look at a juco,” Ferentz said. Given the fact that there are fewer junior colleges in Iowa and “transitioning well” is cautionary, don’t expect a bounty.

Again KF playing it way too conservatively.

Kansas ain't exactly Alaska, Kirk...give Brian an extra $50 on the gas card and get in there...

I would not have a problem if KF started bringing in more JUCOs in. He has had some in the past, Marshal Yanda was a JUCO.

I would not have a problem if KF started bringing in more JUCOs in. He has had some in the past, Marshal Yanda was a JUCO.
Does he count though, Kelley? I think Yanda was going knock down the football offices' door even if they hadn't asked him on board!?!?

Latest posts