Just watched the 12/8/16 miracle in CHA again

and can't believe what I saw this time. Baer flat out won the game for his team. No if, ands or buts, he was a man among boys, especially in the second half. Without him on the floor, Iowa loses. If you watch it again, don't blink or you will miss an amazing performance. Some of his slight-of-hand is so quick I missed it in real-time.

Thanks St Nick, you gave us one hell of a present

I appreciate your feverish enthusiasm! Seriously!

I agree that Baer is the glue for this team, sometimes he is just not strong enough to pull it all together, but he will sure as hell try. Seriously, it is damn hard to give 100% for every second of every game, very few players have that kind of mental toughness, and Baer is one of the few.

and can't believe what I saw this time. Baer flat out won the game for his team. No if, ands or buts, he was a man among boys, especially in the second half. Without him on the floor, Iowa loses. If you watch it again, don't blink or you will miss an amazing performance. Some of his slight-of-hand is so quick I missed it in real-time.

Thanks St Nick, you gave us one hell of a present

No question about it, Baer is a badass. The guy is just good. Crazy thing with this game, unlike every other game this year, he didn't even play starter minutes!?! He did it all in just 17 minutes. Dang he was that good.

I am one that believes people deserve to start if they have earned it. Baer has earned it. He is one of our best players...
Some people say it doesn't matter who starts. I agree it is how you finish that matters. But if you leave your prized stallion at the gate when the gun is fired, you instantly give yourself a slower start. In some environments that is going to be hard to come back from.... But it isnt as much like football, where when you can find yourself behind and never get the momentum back, that can cost you the game.
That said, Baer should have had starter minutes against ISU. His play down the stretch won the game. Great hustle.

No question about it, Baer is a badass. The guy is just good. Crazy thing with this game, unlike every other game this year, he didn't even play starter minutes!?! He did it all in just 17 minutes. Dang he was that good.

I am one that believes people deserve to start if they have earned it. Baer has earned it. He is one of our best players...
Some people say it doesn't matter who starts. I agree it is how you finish that matters. But if you leave your prized stallion at the gate when the gun is fired, you instantly give yourself a slower start. In some environments that is going to be hard to come back from.... But it isnt as much like football, where when you can find yourself behind and never get the momentum back, that can cost you the game.
That said, Baer should have had starter minutes against ISU. His play down the stretch won the game. Great hustle.

I think he played fewer minutes due to foul trouble.

Iowa for sure played much better and showed glimpses of maybe getting pretty decent. For sure stronger than ISU in the middle. There were a lot of uncontested 3 balls by ISU that they just missed. Hawks did some boneheaded stuff late. ISU didn't do the extra pass that Omaha did. UNI will tell us a lot about this year.

And he only played like 17 mins... He's such a stud. He's the perfect 6th man. Hes the energizer bunny that just annoyed the crap out of ISU that game. You could see in their body language they weren't matching his effort and intensity. He needs to knock down his free throws and open jumpers a little more but I have confidence in him. He's shown he can and will. Love that kid

Iowa for sure played much better and showed glimpses of maybe getting pretty decent. For sure stronger than ISU in the middle. There were a lot of uncontested 3 balls by ISU that they just missed. Hawks did some boneheaded stuff late. ISU didn't do the extra pass that Omaha did. UNI will tell us a lot about this year.
Even if UNI beats us by 20 I hope everyone doesn't get down on Fran and the team again. I was questioning everything before the ISU game, and what that game taught me is that there is hope for the future. We will have ups and downs. Yeah it's no fun rebuilding in year 7, but I think with what we have and what we have coming in, the future of Iowa basketball is pretty bright.

Even if UNI beats us by 20 I hope everyone doesn't get down on Fran and the team again. I was questioning everything before the ISU game, and what that game taught me is that there is hope for the future. We will have ups and downs. Yeah it's no fun rebuilding in year 7, but I think with what we have and what we have coming in, the future of Iowa basketball is pretty bright.

Regardless of the weaknesses upon review of the ISU game, yes there is hope. I didn't think there was much available, but there is. Would like to see Williams and Uhl be a part of that hope though. I wonder if their personalities fit into Fran's system. Some kids need reassurance. Fran isn't that type of coach. Lute was. Pemsyl has surprised me that he responds to Fran's style. Hope that player can handle the Big Ten.

Regardless of the weaknesses upon review of the ISU game, yes there is hope. I didn't think there was much available, but there is. Would like to see Williams and Uhl be a part of that hope though. I wonder if their personalities fit into Fran's system. Some kids need reassurance. Fran isn't that type of coach. Lute was. Pemsyl has surprised me that he responds to Fran's style. Hope that player can handle the Big Ten.

What would make you think he can't handle the B1G? He handled Virginia, Memphis & Notre Dame and they were his first games in a Hawk uniform.

Basketball lends itself to many different roles. You find out what role a player is suited for and you put them there. To me, Baer is a 6th man and he can dominate in that role, as he did vs ISUx. If he can continue this for the entire season, we could...not will, but could be a better team than we might have thought at the start of the season.

What would make you think he can't handle the B1G? He handled Virginia, Memphis & Notre Dame and they were his first games in a Hawk uniform.

First, I didn't say he couldn't, those are your words. He's a bright spot, assuming you are referring to Pemsl. Memphis isn't a great team an there was no defense in that game. He did have some rebs, but Memphis took 72 shots. ND is not a defensively great team and he was shy on rebounds. Against VA, he had 2 TOs, 1 point. Did have 5 Rebs. With a blow out it's hard to take anything away.

In the Big, he will face defenses more like Va's than NDs or Memphis'. For a young guy, I'm impressed. He's about to go through the School of the Big Ten.

First, I didn't say he couldn't, those are your words. He's a bright spot, assuming you are referring to Pemsl. Memphis isn't a great team an there was no defense in that game. He did have some rebs, but Memphis took 72 shots. ND is not a defensively great team and he was shy on rebounds. Against VA, he had 2 TOs, 1 point. Did have 5 Rebs. With a blow out it's hard to take anything away.

In the Big, he will face defenses more like Va's than NDs or Memphis'. For a young guy, I'm impressed. He's about to go through the School of the Big Ten.

I agree with the "about to go to school..." comment. That is why I am muted in my belief of what this team can accomplish from a W/L perspective. We only have 4 players on the entire team that have gone through an entire non con and B1G schedule. Here are our first year players or kids that haven't gotten much B1G action: Ellingson, Cook, Pemsl, Williams, Moss, Kriener, JBo, Dailey. Our team might hit a wall last half of the B1G season.

I guess I will be one of those guys that will get "down" if Iowa gets hammered by UNI. Not really because of anything I expect at this point for this year. Rather it will be about how quickly this team can mature, as consistency is what will make this team better. Sure we might be beat, but we need to bring a consistent effort, and not get blow out by marginal top 100 teams. This isn't a powerhouse UNI team, it is a good team, but we shouldn't be getting blown out on a neutral court by them.

Losing by 20 to this UNI team would really be discouraging. They're #73 in KenPom

Can someone verify if Pemsl was hurt in florida? I heard he was but no one talks about it. He was playing great before Florida then completely disappeared while down there, even losing most of his minutes to Kreiner. Then he ends up in the starting lineup right after he gets back and plays great 4 games in a row. It sure makes sense that he was hurt bit it's weird that the media doesn't even mention it.

If you have Mediacom you can watch this gem on Cyclone TV, it's usually on after their historic and instant classic 2000 Insight bowl victory against Pitt. Long live Sage!

Latest posts