Just Hire Keno and let the rebuilding begin

Keno sucks as a coach and recruiter. He got lucky at Drake with extremely good chemistry. Did you watch any of their games? Keno just let them play - he didn't coach them. The only reason he'd be interested is he knows he'll be fired next year at Providence.

Keno sucks as a coach and recruiter. He got lucky at Drake with extremely good chemistry. Did you watch any of their games? Keno just let them play - he didn't coach them. The only reason he'd be interested is he knows he'll be fired next year at Providence.

Isn't knowing when to let your guys play and when to coach them up a positive coaching attribute?

Isn't knowing when to let your guys play and when to coach them up a positive coaching attribute?

Haven't you been paying attention? The players have to run the system, all the time, no questions asked. If one player starts thinking, next thing you know they're all thinking and possibly ENJOYING playing! Complete chaos...

Maybe, just maybe, he coached them so well in practice ( I assume that he was there for those) that his team knew what they were doing come game time and he didn't have to walk them through the gameplan step by step.

I would likely be more interested in Keno had he stayed at Drake and put together 3 20-wins seasons rather than go to Providence and have one slightly above average season and one bad season.

It's just to tough/early to gauge whether Keno's the real deal or not. I personally don't want to take the risk if we dont' have too.

I would likely be more interested in Keno had he stayed at Drake and put together 3 20-wins seasons rather than go to Providence and have one slightly above average season and one bad season.

It's just to tough/early to gauge whether Keno's the real deal or not. I personally don't want to take the risk if we dont' have too.

That slightly above average season came in what some believe was the toughest conference in the history of college basketball, last year's Big East. But they did lose 11 in a row to end this season

Jon...yes, they did loose the last 11 in a row. But to better understand why, here was the schedule:

11 losses:
at Cincinnati L 92-88 (18-15)
at No. 4 Syracuse
Marquette L 82-79 (22-11)
No. 8 Georgetown L 79-70
No. 5 Villanova L 92-81
No. 8 West Virginia L 88-74
No. 4 Syracuse L 99-85
South Florida L 99-93 (20-12)
No. 18 Pittsburgh L 73-71
Seton Hall (x2) L 92-80, L 109-106 (19-12)

This is far from the beat downs we were receiving at the end of the year and Keno inherited a team where 8 scholarship players graduated the year before. There were a lot of close losses and 5 of them came to top 10 rated teams.

Not to mention that Providence is the Northwestern of the Big East, it is in Rhode freaking Island of all places.

He is team is young - so is North Carolina - look how they did this year. Providence was really young, but competitive with guys that Keno barely had time to recruit.

If Iowa had Keno's team with Keno this year, we'd prolly finish top half of big ten. Big East is much stronger than B10 this year.

You are so wrong. Keno was the one that helped recruit the talent that led Drake to that amazing season. He was the smart coach that brought Adam Emmenecker off the bench and into the starting lineup. Bruce Pearl said a couple years back that Keno is the brightest basketball mind he has ever been around. Keno led Providence to 19 wins last year in the Big East. Easily the best bball conference in America. Keno would do a fine job and play exciting, winning basketball. Not my #1 choice but would be a good hire.

You are so wrong. Keno was the one that helped recruit the talent that led Drake to that amazing season. He was the smart coach that brought Adam Emmenecker off the bench and into the starting lineup. Bruce Pearl said a couple years back that Keno is the brightest basketball mind he has ever been around. Keno led Providence to 19 wins last year in the Big East. Easily the best bball conference in America. Keno would do a fine job and play exciting, winning basketball. Not my #1 choice but would be a good hire.

It is not safe to assume that if Barta got Pearl on the telephone, he would (after turning the job) suggest Keno at the top of his list of recommendations for the job?

So, if you love Pearl, why not love the guy Pearl would theoretically recommend?

It is not safe to assume that if Barta got Pearl on the telephone, he would (after turning the job) suggest Keno at the top of his list of recommendations for the job?

So, if you love Pearl, why not love the guy Pearl would theoretically recommend?
Guarantee you he would not suggest Keno...it would be Forbes...

Jon...yes, they did loose the last 11 in a row. But to better understand why, here was the schedule:

11 losses:
at Cincinnati L 92-88 (18-15)
at No. 4 Syracuse
Marquette L 82-79 (22-11)
No. 8 Georgetown L 79-70
No. 5 Villanova L 92-81
No. 8 West Virginia L 88-74
No. 4 Syracuse L 99-85
South Florida L 99-93 (20-12)
No. 18 Pittsburgh L 73-71
Seton Hall (x2) L 92-80, L 109-106 (19-12)

This is far from the beat downs we were receiving at the end of the year and Keno inherited a team where 8 scholarship players graduated the year before. There were a lot of close losses and 5 of them came to top 10 rated teams.

Didn't they also lose to Iona?

loess...I usually enjoy your posts, but you're better than this....

You're telling me you wouldn't consider a coach who has been an assistant under Mr. Davis & Burce Pearl, took a school to the NCAA tourney for the first time in 37 years, was voted coach of the year, has shown the ability to recruit at a major conference, is a major conference coach and has Iowa ties?

It's o.k. if you don't want Keno, but to say he wouldn't be considered if his name wasn't Davis is just factually wrong. Again, you're a better poster than that.

Latest posts